Hotwire Hotel: 4* Boston (Back Bay-Copley Square) Colonnade Hotel

donhogo
By donhogo,
in

Hello,

Can someone please help me create a bidding strategy for me for Boston, MA for the nights of 4/28 4/29 and 4/30?

This is actually for a family member who will be in town to see a Red Sox game. Neither of us has ever been to Boston, so I'm unfamiliar with the city, its good areas, and its "less desirable" areas.

Looking at the Priceline maps, it looks like Zone 4 (Copley) is the closest to Fenway, while Zones 3 and 6 (Cambridge and Quincy) are about equidistant.

Looking at Hotwire maps, it looks like Zone D (Copley back Bay) is closest, while zone C (Boston Common) is next. Cambridge zone is huge with Hotwire, so it appears we could end up miles from the park.

I'd like to get one room for those three nights, spending no more than, say, $120 for a 3-star or $180 for a 4-star.

Thanks for your help.

Looking at the Priceline maps, it looks like Zone 4 (Copley) is the closest to Fenway, while Zones 3 and 6 (Cambridge and Quincy) are about equidistant.
Are you willing to bid all three of these zones? I don't know Boston that well, but i think(somebody correct me if i'm wrong) that Copley and Quincy are 'centrally' Downtown, while Cambridge is usually cheaper but a little less convenient to the heart of the city. Chances are that you'll need to take the train to Fenway and won't be within walking distance to the park, so not sure if convenience or budget are a priority.

Let us know which zone(s) you're willing to bid, and if you prefer to try for a 4* up to your budget first or if you're looking for the least expensive 3* or better to start off... we'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply, thereuare

"Are you willing to bid all three of these zones?"

Yes, but I'd put Copley and Quincy as 'much preferred' over Cambridge, as like you stated, Cambridge might put us too far away from the heart of downtown.

"...so not sure if convenience or budget are a priority"

In order of preference, we'd list our priorities as

1. Location (convenience)

2. Quality (MIN of 3*)

3. Cost (I've seen some posts made suggesting rooms can be booked for less than I mentioned earlier, but those are my preferred MAX bids... for now, at least. :)

"Let us know which zone(s) you're willing to bid"

Copley & Quincy are primary targets.

"...and if you prefer to try for a 4* up to your budget first"

Yes. This is our first choice.

"Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases."

Will do! Thanks again.

If i'm understanding your needs correctly, the first objective would be to obtain a 4* in the Copley or Quincy zone for $180 or less? If that's the correct, you can begin as follows:

At the 4* level you have three re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Copley-Theater...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Copley-Theater and re-bid zone2...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Quincy...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Quincy and re-bid zone2...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Copley-Theater and re-bid zone3...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Copley-Theater and re-bid zone2 and re-bid zone3...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $145

Select 4* Quincy and re-bid zone3...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Quincy and re-bid zone2 and re-bid zone3...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $145

Select 4* Copley-Theater and Quincy...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Copley-Theater and Quincy and re-bid zone2...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Copley-Theater and Quincy and re-bid zone3...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* Copley-Theater and Quincy and re-bid zone2 and re-bid zone3...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $185 (if you care to go the extra $5)

Any question feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the help!

Well, for the first time, I wasn't successful using Priceline to secure a hotel via PRICELINE.

Hotwire was showing 3 properties meeting our criteria for those days, priced from $239-274. I was able to ID all of them using the Hotwire hotel list.

I used the bidding strategy above, with slight modifications. I believed my target price was too low. so I began bidding at $125 and increased in increments of $5 using the the 3 rebid zones. That took me to about $180. I bid again the following day, but stopped bidding once I hit $210 with no wins. Maybe because of the late date it was only 10 days from check-in) there appears to be no inventory of 4* in those zones to bid on.

Using HOTWIRE, I'll be taking a 4* in Copley that currently lists for $274. There are better deals to be had in other zones, but as long as we're going to pay as much as we are, I may as well take the property in the zone we want which has the amenities we prefer. I believe the property is the Colonnade. I'll post more after I secure the room; as of now HOTWIRE link is dead (I think HOTWIRE site is down right now.)

HOTWIRE was having some technical issues this afternoon and was down for 'maintenance' but is back up and running now.

Please try our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links again and let us know if you have any problems.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you ultimately end up with.

If we can be of further help feel free to ask :)

• 5 months later...

Thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Can you please add the amenities shown before your purchase which you can still view by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page. (as well as the dates you ultimately won for)

Hope you enjoyed your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]