"Designated Bidder"

lwitchel
By lwitchel,
in

I recently put up a win at Heathrow I did for my parents - Dad was really happy at paying only $78 including tax to stay at the Sheraton - and thereuare asked in passing "I wonder how many of us are 'surrogates'?"

I'm the "designated bidder" for my family. My brother lives in England, I've gotten him hotels for all his visits home and some scientific conferences as well. After I saved my brother a bundle there, Dad started asking.

Who do y'all bid for?

Anytime someone mentions needing a hotel somewhere I volunteer to help them bid... Besides my own family and close friends, I've helped out quite a few co-workers when they need hotels between trips. Most of these are airport zones where the prices don't fluctuate that much, but it's still fun...

DeltaPurser :)

• 1 month later...
I recently put up a win at Heathrow I did for my parents - Dad was really happy at paying only $78 including tax to stay at the Sheraton - and thereuare asked in passing "I wonder how many of us are 'surrogates'?"

I'm the "designated bidder" for my family. My brother lives in England, I've gotten him hotels for all his visits home and some scientific conferences as well. After I saved my brother a bundle there, Dad started asking.

Who do y'all bid for?

You should bid through the eBay link and keep the points!

Since I talk about Priceline quite a bit (my teen says I'm obsessed and she makes faces when I start discussing it with another adult) other people want to know about it. I bid for those in my family and distant family. I've also bid for a few co-workers and friends of co-workers and other Cheerleading Moms that are going to Cheer competitions and need places to stay, and even helped my dermatologist and podiatrist. I really "TRY" to "TEACH" about bidding, though, because I want them to start to be able to bid for themselves. It was fun to bid for others at first. But now it takes my whole Saturday, when people just call me up and want an area I really am not familiar with. Some people just expect me to snap my fingers and get a fantastic deal for them.

So now, I've begun having them call me on their cell phone, and we bid together. (Of course, I let them click the 'Buy My Hotel', not me. But I still have to do the research for them, look up the regular rates and such. But I do explain what I did and try to get them to at least know how to be self-sufficient.

Afterall, bidding is a great liberator, helping us go places we never could have gone before. (Sounds like Star Trek.) I don't want to keep bidding all to myself. I want others to enjoy it too.

Pomcoach :)

Since Im in Canada and I have an American address in MI that my American credit card bills come to, I bid for a lot of Canadians that dont think or want to make up an account.

I've recently bid for my MIL and was succesful. I did a lot of research for another friend and gave him the info to bid.

I wish this 15$ point thing was going on last year, or if it was that I knew about it.

Happy Travelling, Randi
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]