HOU Houston Hobby SUV

dougieieie
By dougieieie,
in

Bid thru PRICELINE link at top of Forum.

As stated in "Other Deals: Car Rental" forum, there is confusion over whether i have to wait 24 hours or 72 hours.

I will attempt to re-bid tomorrow afternoon and see what happens.

I'm planning on just going up $1 on each re-bid, until i'm accepted or it gets too high.

Is going up a dollar each re-bid the right thing to do (obviously, i have some time even if it IS a 72 hour wait)

thanks,

dougieieieie

You could go $1 per bidding opportunity if you have the time (both before your rental begins and the time to bid frequently)... for rentals i'm comfortable with $2-3 increments as it just goes a lot quicker and as long as i'm getting a great deal i don't mind leaving a few dollars on the table. Then again, i usually don't rent for a 9 day period as you are attempting above.

Also, are you close to a realistic accepted bid? What is the best rate you're able to find thru our Car Rental Rate Checker and what is HOTWIRE's rate?

Thank you for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yeah, a dollar increase seems a little tedious. If i have to wait 3 days, i'll bump up to $2 or $3.

If i can go every 24 hours, i'll do the $1.

Did not know about HOTWIRE rentals. What are the pro/cons of HW vs. Priceline?

HOTWIRE has Midsize SUV for $265 ($22/day) or Standard SUV for $321 $26/day)

Not sure which size SUV you get on PL

The Total prices i'm getting on Priceline thru NYOP when bidding:

$20 a/day = $264 (not sure why the taxes fees are higher than HW)

$25 a/day = $324

According to Rate Checker, here's the lowest rates i'm getting (Totals incl. fees & taxes):

From PRICELINE: Alamo- $594, National - $646

From Travelocity: Alamo - $377

From Expedia: Alamo - $348

PRICELINE seems to be MUCH higher. Is that normal??

Sorry. So many questions. First time doing car rental like this. Done hotels many times with your help and feel i know what i'm doing there.

thanks again,

dougieieie

For Car Rentals PRICELINE's fee is usually higher than HOTWIRE's fee... just the way they each operate.
Actually, i meant Priceline's rates compared to Expedia and Travelocity. Although Alamo seems the cheapest at all three, the latter two are MUCH lower, not discounted at all.
Regarding the Expedia rate... what are the dates (and times) you're searching for?
5/17-5/26 9 days
Actually, i meant Priceline's rates compared to Expedia and Travelocity. Although Alamo seems the cheapest at all three, the latter two are MUCH lower, not discounted at all.

5/17-5/26 9 days

If you use the $20 off coupon from Alamo.com, and the VacationOutlet.com contract ID 7014182, you can get the midsize SUV for $281.25 total. This rate also includes a free additional driver.

Szymon

I'm not seeing those prices at all... i'm seeing $377 and $341 respectively, inline with the other rates you've posted above.

Maybe it was a glitch (or my human error), as Alamo now says $377, though National is still $565 on PL.

Sorry.

FYI, i have not made another bid yet. We are discussing going with a Full-size from HOTWIRE for $13.95 a day, rather than the $22 a/day (PRICELINE bid or HOTWIRE) for the SUV.

I'll post when we decide and continue.

thanks again for the help,

dougieieie

FYI, i have not made another bid yet. We are discussing going with a Full-size from HOTWIRE for $13.95 a day, rather than the $22 a/day (PRICELINE bid or HOTWIRE) for the SUV.

Well, there will be no more bidding for me.

Somehow my father-in-law (our travel partner) got us a ONE-WAY rental thru National for a standard SUV for only $529 total. Not sure how, except he's an Emerald Club member, which may have something to do with it. Plus, he got us one day free.

ANYWAY, i couldn't get One-Way thru PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, and was willing to drive back from St. Louis, cuz the prices i was seeing for one-way thru the Price Checker were $900 to $2000!!

Thanks for all the help anyways, it is much appreciated.

I'll be seeing ya'll in Texas hotels forums in a few weeks as the wife and i are heading to Austin for a weekend!!

doug

PS -- I'll also say it's tougher to bid, when you've got others involved. (especially the in-laws ;^)

I'm used to PRICELINE and all the minor risks/problems and feel it's worth it. Felt a little uncomfortable asking others to do the same.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]