Priceline Hotel: NYC- 4/29 - 5/6- 4*

norwegianwife
By norwegianwife,
in

Hi All!

It's been awhile since I bid on NYC and it looks like there are now FOUR rebid zones with the addition of Brooklyn and Long Island! That is nice!

I have a friend here in Norway going to NYC for a week!

I tried bidding this morning and split the bid as I felt 7 nights in one bid was unlikely to be accepted.

Tried first for April 29-May 1:

MTE at 180

and added rebid zones up to 220

All rejected.

Then started in a new window with the the second half of her trip from May 2-6, this time started in Soho/Financial District. Same strategy, started at 180 and bid up to 220 with no luck.

I have seen some wins for the Benjamin and other 4*'s around 220 for around these dates and was hoping to get lucky.

They have a cancellable back up at the New Yorker--

Any sugesstions for a strategy for this time of year for a 4*?

Any help and thoughts are appreciated!

What is your friend's maximum bid per nite... can they increase at least $5 more than you have previously bid above? Wins at the Benjamin dates which include a subset of your stay above were won at $225, so i would be biddig at last that (although trying $222 first).

As well, given the rejections for both sets of dates, i would be trying up to $225 for the complete stay first, then shortening the stay and retrying up to the limit. If you let us know their maximum bid we will post a strategy as an example of what we mean. Would they be willing to pay a little more per nite in order to not have to split the bid? (if so, how much more per nite would make the added cost worthwhile)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare!

Their backup is costing about 300 bucks a night INCLUDING taxes. So anything UNDER that is fine!!

So, without taxes, a maximum bid would probably be around 260 a night?

Thanks!!!

I will rebid when the 24 hours are up and will try for the entire 7 nights.

I usually bid for MTE, as that seems to be a good area for 4* hotels on Priceline.

Thanks again and any info is appreciated!

hello!

Ok, just tried bidding for all nights together.

Started in MTE at 222 a night and bid up to 260, all rejected with no counter offers.

Closed the window and split the bid from April 29-may 2 and started again.

Started in MTE at 222 and added rebid zones up to 260, all rejected, no counter offers.

Closed the window and started again and bid May 2-May 6

Started in MTE at 222 and added rebid zones up to 260, all rejected no counter offers.

So, is there anything else you would reccomend doing other than what I have done?? Just keep trying every few days?

Used the PRICELINE links provided!!!

Thanks for any input!

Sorry if i missed your previous post on 3/26 and were awaiting a reply...

Is MTE the only zone your bidding? (other than re-bid zones) If so, is that the only zone they're willing to accept?

Where is their back-up?

Also, in looking at rates for these dates it appears that the first two nites at some properties are a little less than the remaining nites (ie- a price increase which begins in May at some hotels?)... is their $300 'all-in' price constant throughout this stay? (so if they were able to get a cheaper rate for the first two nites, but keep their back-up for the remaining 5 nites, would less than $300 be the price to beat for those two nites)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That's ok! Based on your last response, I just figured I was supposed to try bidding for all the nights together!

Anyway- They have a reservation at the New Yorker and with taxes, I believe they are paying right under $2,000. So, about $285 a night. They aren't displeased with the NewYorker, since they renovated they are getting pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor, I think my friends would just like to spend the same amount and be able to stay at a 4*!

They are open to staying anywhere, I just bid in MTE cause that is where I have always had the best luck and LOWEST prices in NYC...guess i am a creature of habit!!

I will ask her if she wants me to bid the first 2 nights and just go from there. IF she says ok, should I start at 180 for the last 2 nights in April?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I believe they are paying right under $2,000. So, about $285 a night.

See if the rate is constant throughout their stay... for instance, is the rate $285/nite for each nite, or is it (for example) $250/nite the first three nites and $320/nite for the last three nites (which still averages $285, but needs to be considered differently)

I forget what i had seen earlier, but i think they can probably do better than the New Yorker (the reviews i read weren't that great, but granted, i didn't page thru too many of them)

• 1 month later...

just wanted to follow up and close out this thread.

We tried bidding at least 10 times up to 300 dollars, splitting the bid, bidding it all together, and just never had any luck! They ended up keeping their room at the NewYorker and said it was really a GREAT hotel, especially if you had one of the refurbished rooms.

NOt sure why we were never able to win a room through PRICELINE, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying!

Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]