Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

Sharion
By Sharion,
in

Hi !

I had a successful bid for a 3-star hotel Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City for 6/19-6/21. Tried many times (during 2 weeks), and finally got a bid accepted for 37 $+taxes/night; total 90.99 $.

I couldn't get Hyatt accept my bid on Friday 6/18, even though they had the same rates and availability during the whole weekend. They finally accepted my bid for Satuday-Monday. Then tried to bid only Friday, and kept raising the amount (from 37 $ to 60 $ in three-day periods), was rejected all the time. The price on the hotel's own website for the weekend was 179 $/a night.

I also need information about the best way (not by taxi) to go from the Hyatt on the Hudson to JFK. I'm travelling by myself, I have to leave for the airport at 6 pm on 21st of June and will have one piece of a luggage. I'd also prefer some kind of shuttle versus the Path/subway/airtrain route. Checked the Super shuttle but they only serve Manhattan.

Thank you in advance, and sorry about my first messy post. And thereuare, I know you live in the neighbourhood, that's why I'm glad I'm able to get help from you. :)

To get to JFK from the Hyatt (economically) you will at the very least need to take the PATH into Manhattan.

So your choice(s) from there would either be:

PATH to Downtown (WTC area) and walk to a nearby hotel to catch a SUPERSHUTTLE which you would need to make reservations for.

PATH to mid-town and then a one block walk to Penn Station to catch a NY Airport Shuttle.

What is it about the PATH/Subway/AirTran route that makes you want to avoid it? Traveling at 6pm or so on a weekday is going to put you in the heart of rush hour and traffic can be VERY unpredictable... making an all train route a viable option.

Perhaps some other locals can comment here (i rarely fly out of JFK unless i can get a great rate) but i would leave at least 3 hours before my flight time no matter which route i was planning on using.

BTW, the flat fare of $45 is only from JFK to Manhattan... Manhattan to JFK in on the meter.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare,

I don't really have that much against the subway/airtrain combination to JFK, I was just thinking if that is safe, altough I'm aware I will be going in the rush hour, when there are lots of people around. That would be pretty convenient though. Another concern is my luggage, altough I only have one bag with me (not a suitcase, a medium sized sports bag more likely), I feel I might be on the way with my bag in a full train.

I've been thinking about the Path/shuttle combination, but maybe I should just stick to the subway/airtrain. What do you think ? Is it safe enough ? I've never taken a subway anywhere outside the Manhattan before, so that's why all these questions.

I think it'll be safe at that hour... it's when you start to hit 11pm and the wee hours of the morning that things can get a bit more dicey.

Chances are you'll see somebody else with a bag/luggage and you can chat them up (just ask them if they've done the trip before, used the AirTran, know how long it will take, etc) and then you'll instantly have a traveling companion :) .

Just make sure to leave plenty of time before your flight!!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare,

thank you for all your advice. I will decide which way to go, the Path to Penn Station and shuttle to JFK, or the path/subway route in a near future. I think I have all my questions answered now, so thank your for that. If anything else comes to mind, I'll get back to you nearer my travel date.

Greetings from Finland !!

Hi Thereuare,

I have a new question for you :) Today I went to check my reservation for my Hyatt Regency in Jersey City stay on Hyatt.com. Everything was as it's supposed to be, but there was one thing that I'm wondering about. In their "Deposit Policy" part on my reservation page, it says that 2 days deposit is required and charged on my credit card. Since I have a pre-paid reservation (because of Priceline) stay, what do you think this means ? Is it something that applies to people who book directly with them on Hyatt's own website or what ?

No attempt has been made to charge my credit card other than the Priceline charge, and I sure don't want Hyatt to try to charge my stays since I've already paid them to Priceline. What do you think ?? I tried e-mailing Hyatt, but haven't gotten any response from them. They probably think I'm stupid :) And, I don't think Hyatt even has my credit card number yet, hopefully Priceline isn't spreding it around too much. I know I'm required to give it to them in check in though.

Ok, this just bothered me and I thought I'd ask your opinion also, since you have stayed at this hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]