EWR to Jersey City using Public Transportation

DeltaPurser
By DeltaPurser,
in

Hi there thereuare & all others,

Just a quick question re. getting from EWR to the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City... As far as I can tell, the "most economical" (read cheapest!) way to do this would be to take NJTransit (bus) to Penn Station (Newark), and then transfer to the PATH train to Exchange Place. Am I correct in assuming that this could be done on $2.60?!

DeltaPurser :)

PATH fare is $1.50 and but i'm not sure of the NJ Transit Bus fare... it may be $1.10 or it could be $1.65... i'll make a phone call later today or during the week to find out for certain... but certainly the cheapest option although may not be the most convenient with luggage or if time is a concern.

Safety could also be an issue as many shun this area at all times. I think it's safe enough during the day, but probably wouldn't want to do this after daylight hours... especially with luggage. Also, the PATH can get pretty crowded during rush hour so that's another factor to consider if traveling with luggage.

I have never given this route serious consideration and might in the future if traveling alone (just to give me some first hand experience to relay to the board... for that matter there's no reason i can't make the trip without luggage or a flight to catch :) ) although i'm sure my wife would never do this with or without me.

I have added Bus to PATH information (under EWR), with links, to cover this option in NYC Airports to Hotel

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the prompt reply...

There will be two of us, with no luggage except small backpacks, so I think we'll chance it. Both the trip to and from the hotel would be during the day, and both of us have travelled quite extensively and know how to take care of ourselves, so I think we'll be alright. Thanks for the heads-up though!

Keep up the good work!

• 9 months later...

There used to be an Airlink bus #302 that allows you to carry luggage onboard, but since Amtrak and NJ Transit opened a train station at EWR, Airlink bus has stopped running. However, the alternative economic local bus route #62 still goes to Newark Penn Station for slightly over a $1, and you can carry a piece of luggage onboard, providing that it's not taking up (standing) space. Nonetheless, I've never seen NJ Transit bus driver to deny boarding for people who carry a reasonable size (i.e., 25 inch) luggage. The ride is short, about 15 minutes, and generally there will be no one to board the bus after stopping at EWR.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]