Priceline Hotel: Trying to book Halifax 3* hotels

icecanadian
By icecanadian,
in

Need to book 2 nights in Halifax and looking at 3* hotels.

Seen a lot of success in the past for bids fo $42-$46 for the Westin or Marriott. Most however were in 2007 or earlier.

Anyone having success at these rates still? Given that it's for April 2008, I don't think it's a busy time nor any major event. I've already tried from $40 to $47. Think it's because it's too early and I would be more successful closer to the dates when the hotel might lower their rate expectation?

going to continue bidding incrementally, just want to know if $50+ is more the new norm for these hotels.

On a side note, has anyone got anything from Bedford, NS before, I know it's a free bid zone at 3*, but is that the case for 2.5* or 2*? Doesn't seem PRICELINE has any arrangements with hotels there.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Currency fluctuation alone could require a higher bid being necessary than last year... the US Dollar has been very week vs. the Canadiain Dollar.

As far as Bedford, it is not a re-bid zone when bidding 2.5* or less. The proper way to determine re-bid zones is given in Priceline Re-Bidding Explained.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply lighthouse boy. Any reply is much appreciated.

$66 is a little steep on a student budget , so I'll keep trying from $47-$55. I hope late April won't command a high price. Otherwise I'm downgrading to 2.5* or lower. Or hostels.

I'm doing a big East Coast trip and the even more tricky thing is now to try and book hotel for places like St. John's NFLD, PEI and NB which really don't get a lot of reported bids. Have no idea where to start other than low since I have more than a month before I go.

• 4 weeks later...

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

This property has not yet been identified.

If i were to take a guess, i'd think the Four Points would be a good possibility. (secondary guesses would be the Citadel or the Holiday Inn, but i think the Four Points would be more likely)

Let us know what you decide to do or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Man, so frustrating, up to $62 now after 8 previous bids and still no bite. I wish we were back to the days fo $46-$50 for the Westin Nova Scotian. that's actually the hotel I want and i am getting no bites. You look at the toronto wins and you still see 4* going for cheap.

I'm trying to book april 23-25, would I have better luck if I split the days up and bid? Would it make financial sense?

Seems like no one has any Halifax wins lately to report. Oi, getting flusttered.

Which one is better? Westin Nova Scotian or Four Points? I read some reviews and despite Westin having higher rates, it is a little further away from downtown. But it's supposed to have better beds though smaller rooms. If both were obtainable at the same price, which one would you go for?

What is the rate of each? (and please note as per our support page we're an affiliate of both the Westin and Four Points so please use our links if you book direct)

I can't imagine that the hotel direct rates are close to the amounts you have already bid... i'm assuming each is much more than $62/nite, no?

Well, I really wanted to book through PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. But I found out that I could buy 500 more SPG points and have just enough to use their cash and points option to book direclty through the hotel. Evidently, both the Westin NS and Four Points Halifax is $45 + 2800 pts. This works out to about $62 with the point purchase, so more economical than PRICELINE.

Thanks for your help though. I'm still putting the finishing pieces to my Maritimes trip. As hard as Halifax was to book, places like Moncton and St. John, NB have very little option and would likely command higher prices.

This works out to about $62 with the point purchase, so more economical than PRICELINE

But places zero value on the other 2500 points you'll be using for this stay. At the same 3.5 cents per point, you'd need to add another $80 to the 'cost'... even at 2 cents per point you're looking at another $50 (or $112 total cost on an equivalent basis)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]