www.Expedia.com

www.hotel.com

www.booking.com

www.ebookers.com

www.Orbitz.com

www.discounthotelworld.com

www.hotels-and-discounts.com

www.tripadvisor.com

as 2 star. Feel a bit cheated. Can I do anything about it?

Hi,

I booked a 2,5 star hotel in Alexandria and got the Comfort Inn, which is 2 stars on at least 10 hotel sites (including Expedia and hotel.com) and the reviews are pretty bad. As hotwire apparently makes up the star ratings - I feel pretty disappointed.

Is there any chance to make them change the reservation to a 2,5-star hotel?

Thanks

Edwin

welcome to BetterBidding!

Expedia, Hotels.com, and HOTWIRE are all owned by IAC Corp, so you may want to call customer service and lodge your complaint. I have argued about star rating inflation with HOTWIRE before and I believe I was successful in scoring some hot dollars for a future booking on one occasion. As a rule, your complaint will be noted and if enough complaints about the same property are received, this could result in a star rating revision, but don't hold your breath. I generally look at my savings compared to booking a similar property and 90% of the time, I'm happy with the results.

In regards to the rating of this property, star ratings are subjective, and each company uses their own criteria to rate properties.

With that said, if HOTWIRE does agree that this should be rated 2 stars, you won't get them to change the hotel to a different property, but rather they'll likely offer you a refund OR keep the reservation and offered 'hot dollars' which can be used on a future HOTWIRE purchase.

Let us know how it goes as you challenge the star rating (and please do add the amenities associated with the property to this thread... it can help another user from future disappointment)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

hotwire reviewed the rating and changed it to a 2.0-star rating.

We can either cancel the booking with a full refund or get 100 HotDollars (that we could use as we need another hotel).

Any advice? Not knowing what to expect from a 2 star Comfort Inn ( I am from Germany and do not have that much experience with US hotels), we are wondering what to do. We don't need a fancy room. If it's clean (no bugs) and safe, that would be perfectly fine.

Thanks for your comments

Edwin

I'd start by doing the following two things:

1) Read the reviews HERE and decide, if for the price with the $100 hot dollars to use on another purchase, if you think it would be worth it (also, there are two Comfort Inn properties in Alexandria, make sure the previous link is for the right one)

2) seek alternative accomodations and how much it will cost you (can you afford to cancel the above and only be left with options which are beyond your budget... or perhaps there is an equally priced hotel, or a little more, which you think you will be happy with).

If you do cancel and need to re-book, feel free to ask for help beforehand.

Let us know what you decide and how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Edwin: Apparently HOTWIRE.COM did not respond to your communication regarding changing the COMFORT INN~ Alexandria to a 2* from a 2.5*. I hesitated before booking my 2.5* but felt good after reading your response. So, imagine my surprise when I too got the COMFORT INN ~ Alexandria for 6/12-6/15/08 for $76/night. I too had done my homework and looked at- as many as 8-10 websites - all whom rate this property a 2*.

Like you, I contacted, via email, hotwire, and am awaiting a reply. :)

Beryl356,

Can you please also add the details of your purchase as a NEW TOPIC, include the star rating, city, zone, hotel, price per nite, dates of your stay, and amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view all of this by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]