Priceline Hotel: Need advice on bidding in Ft. Lauderdal

jawdad
By jawdad,
in

I've read over all the posts....and I think I'm beginning to "get it" in terms of how it all works. My questions are this...

How early to book...we are not traveling until January 2004...when should I start the bidding process?

There are up to 8 couple traveling together....is there anyway to get all rooms in one hotel??

I've done a lot of research...and would love to be at the Embassy Suites...and I think the tips on this board will lead me there....I've heard some refer to "high season"...when is this?? Based on late January travel...should I start at $75 bid??

This board has been incredibly educational...I'm no longer "afraid" to use Priceline and Hotwire...THANK YOU!!

Glad to be here to help!

I usually recommend bidding as early as possible, although Jan 2004 does seem a bit far off!

The only risk i foresee with bidding now is if your plans change. How firm are your plans? What would have to occur for you to not need this hotel room?

Regarding the 8 couples traveling together.... you can bid for up to 4 rooms at one time (which, if accepted, will all be at the same hotel). It would seem likely that if you bid for 4 rooms and were accepted, and then immediately bid for 4 additional rooms, you'd get the same hotel.... but this is NOT always the case. I would say it works out A LOT more often than it doesn't, but of course, there are no guarantees.

BurBunny will probably be able to offer better advice regarding high/low season and a reasonable startng bid, so i'll keep my mouth shut (sometimes hard for me to do) on that subject for now.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

LOL Thereuare! Miracles never cease!

Jawdad, it's hard to say about high/low season with the 3* properties in Fort Lauderdale. 2002 winter prices didn't see much of a variance over summer. As recently as August last year, January 2003 prices were about the same as summer - a touch higher, but still in the $55-60 range. However, then availability dried up and prices went up dramatically for the rest of the winter season, though we're seeing them come back down nicely for summer (as they should).

Since you have plenty of time, I think I'd bid conservatively right now. No harm in bidding now at all as long as your plans are firmed up and you don't mind having a non-refundable hotel set. My recommendation would be to bid at $55 first, then use your Miramar free rebid zone and bid $60 if that's rejected. If neither of those work, you can try $65 and $70 the next time (minimum of 72 hours later), and so on. However, I'd not go above $75 this far out. Too many variables and too much time. I probably wouldn't go above $65, but that's me.

As a point of reference, there have been many rooms in November gotten for around $57, though that is definitely shoulder season. January is the beginning of high season, so prices if they follow demand should be higher. But Priceline prices this far out don't always mirror demand.

If your traveling companions don't want to put all the rooms on one credit card (so they can be bid together and guarantee you all will be in the same hotel), then definitely make sure to bid them as close together as possible. The 3* zone seems to go in cycles - for awhile all the wins will be the Embassy Suites, then awhile the Marriott Marina and back again. I don't believe I've ever noted a time when they were both getting acceptances in the same time frame. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but just relaying my experience.

Hope that helps! Definitely do ask any other questions you have before bidding :)

Jawdad,

In short, it's adding a zone that only offers quality levels LOWER than the one you are seeking.

Read this: Re-Bids Explained which will explain it in more detail, and feel free to ask any add'l questions.

It may seem complicated at first, but once you "get it", it becomes intuitive.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]