Car Rental Checker

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Why doe the Car Rental Checker only give me a weekly rate when I asked for a 4 day rate?

Thank you.

Most likely answer is that the weekly rate is less than the daily rate X 4 days. When I did a sample 4 day rental, it also quoted me the weekly rate because the National daily rate of $31 X 4 was about the same as the weekly rate of $122. On a 5 day rental, nearly all the rental agencies quoted the weekly rate, not the daily rate.

One thing I did think about through is that Alamo once wanted to charge me a fee because I had a weekly rental, but I wanted to turn in the car early. Since I had already paid for the day, could a company actually charge you more because you turned in a car early? Has anyone else had this experience?

In the end they waived the charge, but I thought it was unusal and a bit crazy for charging someone if they turned in a car more than 24 hours ahead of schedule.

Re: "One thing I did think about though is that Alamo once wanted to charge me a fee because I had a weekly rental, but I wanted to turn in the car early. Since I had already paid for the day, could a company actually charge you more because you turned in a car early? Has anyone else had this experience?

In the end they waived the charge, but I thought it was unusal and a bit crazy for charging someone if they turned in a car more than 24 hours ahead of schedule."

I, too, have been threatened with this penalty by Alamo--and another company that I can't recall--but in the end, I didn't return the car early, so it didn't affect me. I see that no one has answered your question, so I will re-ask it. Can a company do this? Has anyone experienced this penalty? Is there a way out of this penalty, other than hoping for a waiver like the one headtrip received?

Most weekly car rental rates have a 5-day minimum, and say so somewhere on the contract. More precisely, the rental period must be at least four full 24-hour periods and some part of a fifth. The reason for this is to prevent people renting during the week (business travelers) from booking a weekly rate, which is often lower than four (or even three) weekdays.

If the minimum is stated on the contract, it's cut and dried. If Alamo charges you an extra $30 or whatever, that might be a lot less than four weekdays retroactively at "full rack".

OTOH, if you are on a daily rate and bring the car back early, you are usually not charged for the days you do not use. For example: you rent a car for nine days, which is 1 week + 2 extra days. Bring it back on day seven and you're usually only charged for the week.

• 4 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]