Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Airport EWR) Newark Airport Hotel

belgo
By belgo,
in

:) Oopsy! Well, not entirely my fault. My Mom called me in a panic saying she was about to leave town and needed a hotel by the Newark Airport on the 20th. I bid $60 and was offered a room for $77 which I took, since she was about to leave and I wanted to give her an answer. Then I looked up the hotel and found out the rooms were selling for $64.50 on both Expedia and Hotels.com. I would have never made this mistake if I hadn't been rushed. Oh, well. $20 lost isn't the end of the world. At least the place seems reasonably nice. I did use the savingsbarn link. Next time, I'll suggest she not wait until she has one foot out the door before asking my assistance. :) I don't know if Priceline will refund the difference... The funny thing is that they list the 3* EWR area as a best buy, yet weren't willing to accept a bid of $4.50 below retail!! I guess I shouldn't have been so trusting...

just submit a screen shot to Priceline's customer service and you will get a refund of $12.50, you won't get a refund on tax and fees though. Priceline does not set the prices, its up to the participating hotel to establish the minimum bid that is acceptable. What you received was a counteroffer and this can often be undercut by increasing the bid by a few $$ and adding a rebid zone with a lower maximum star rating. For example, the Elizabeth zone's highest star rating is 2.5* as of today. I stayed here last week and my $60 bid was refused, but $65 was accepted. Besides, you don't have to tell your Mom everything, right??? :)

They said they'll submit a credit to my credit card in a couple of weeks. They verified the prices while I was on hold for some 10-15 minutes. Interesting that one can get a hotel without Priceline for $64.50 in Newark. I've been kind of avoiding travel to NYC because of the high hotel prices. I wonder if this is a reasonable alternative?

In addition to a refund for the difference, they also sent me a $10 credit towards future travel. I guess what surprised me most from this situation is that Priceline could even undercut Expedia or Hotels.com by $4.50!

Yeah, I know about free rebids (and checking other websites before submitting bids). I wouldn't have made either mistake if I hadn't been rushed, but I felt as if I had to get something within a few minutes. One should never be in a rush when availing oneself of Priceline...

Interesting that one can get a hotel without Priceline for $64.50 in Newark. I've been kind of avoiding travel to NYC because of the high hotel prices. I wonder if this is a reasonable alternative?

While cheap, this not really a viable alternative. If you have a car it's do-able, but not really recommend unless there's just no other way you can make the trip (also don't forget the added expensive of parking as you will have to drive to one train station or another)

If you plan appropriately you can come to NYC during an affordable time (winter or summer) and/or find better alternatives with better access to mass transit.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]