Hotwire Hotel: 3* Oahu (Waikiki North) - Price Increases?

ahself
By ahself,
in

I searched for a hotel in Oahu for 5/22-5/23 last Saturday. I received several options, including what appeared to be the Aqua Palms.

3* in Waikiki North - Best Value

Amenities:

Boutique Hotel

Near Beach

Pool

Laundry Facilities

High Speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

Trip Advisor Rating 4.0 out of 5 based on 260+ customer reviews, last reviewed Jan. 08

During my first search, the price came up as $79. This appeared to be a great price for the Aqua, but I'm traveling with others and had to make sure they would be okay with this hotel.

However, since last Saturday, I've done three other searches throughout the week and the price for that hotel (same info.) increases each time. It went from $79, to $84, to $89, to $99 this morning...all were searched using IE. Then, after reading a few threads on price increases on HW, I switched to Firefox a few minutes ago and the price is now showing $102, which is higher than the price I can get using Aqua's web site.

Any thoughts on this? I understand prices can change based on inventory levels, but a >25% increase in less than a week, when I'm over 3 months out, seems like a lot.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

At least two possible scenarios, of which both could be a factor:

Is it possible that the first search you did was for one room, then upon checking with your friends, you searched for multiple rooms and that could account for the price increase (only one room offered at the lowest price, therefore adding multiple rooms gives you a higher amount since it's averaging in the cost of the higher priced rooms).

HOTWIRE works on a variable mark-up, taking the price the hotel is offering and then increasing it (let's say) 5-20%. The first search could have been at the low end of the mark-up and the current searches at the high end of the mark-up... thus no real change in demand this far ahead of your stay, but a different mark-up percent is applied to each search.

Please remember to use this HOTWIRE link to begin any searches and purchases.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the welcome, and the insight.

When I searched the first time, and each subsequent time, I searched for one room and then for three rooms. Each search yielded the same price/room. I also had the other two parties do a search today from their computers and they both got back a price of $102.

I'm hoping your second theory is true and that if I lay low for a while, I might get the lower price again in the future.

I also wonder if perceived demand could have anything to do with this. I searched on Hotwire a few times, as well as other travel sites, and on Aqua's site. I wonder if all of those hits/searches for the same date drove up the price.

Somewhat related to that, I noticed that the prices for the date I want increased on Aqua's web site as well. I hoping that's due to random fluctuation (or perceived demand) versus any threshold that might have passed over the last few days, particularly since I'm more than three months out.

I wonder if all of those hits/searches for the same date drove up the price.
HIGHLY unlikely.
I noticed that the prices for the date I want increased on Aqua's web site as well. I hoping that's due to random fluctuation (or perceived demand) versus any threshold that might have passed over the last few days, particularly since I'm more than three months out.
With this information i'd suspect that the price rise you're seeing on HOTWIRE is an adjustment in rates. While i doubt a time threshold has been reached, an occupancy threshold likely has, and therefore they have raised rates for your dates.

If you have your friends search, please have them use our HOTWIRE link as well.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 years later...

Per thereuare's in another recent thread, I'm following up with what happened in this situation. Thank goodness I still have email exchanges between me and those I was traveling with so that I could find the history.

I had some time before our stay in Oahu and I just kept checking rates on Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Sidekick, etc. and the price continued to stay around $100/night before taxes on Hotwire. Finally, on 3/31/08, I checked on Hotwire and the Aqua Palms came back down to $89/night or $100 after taxes/fees.

However, I decided to call the hotel and ask for the Entertainment rate and got $86/night or $96 after taxes for three rooms. It was only $4 difference per night, but it gave us the option to continue looking for something cheaper since the reservation was refundable up to 3 days out. Ultimately, we didn't find anything cheaper and just kept the rooms that I booked.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]