Hotwire Hotel: Kaanapali 4* ?'s

czinoc
By czinoc,
in

Love this site! Thank u all (esp. moderator!)- Planning a 10 day west coast adventure (San Fran 8/20-22, Maui 8/22-28, San Diego 8/28-30), and got my 1st HOTWIRE win on Fri for SF (posted on another thread- $66 HI Fisherman's Wharf, 65% off!).

Now watching Kaanapali, w/ a few ?'s-

1). Would take any 4*+ resort property (Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt), so priceline could work- it seems like Whaler has been flushed out (no posted wins in 9 months, moved to Condo on price section). Good calculated risk?

2). If yes, I'm seeing wins around nov/dec '07 of around $150 even for summer dates, but it looks like a limited window (no wins in '08). I compared similar times from '07 and even '06, and wins were more like $200-$250 for summer. Am I wasting my bids starting $150?

3) If no, Hotwire currently has $285 for what looks like the Sheraton- since I have about 6 months, should I watch/wait? That would be about 30% off, which is very good, but after getting 65% off for SF, I think there could be room for improvement-unrealistic?

4) Are there days of the week that are more attractive for bids/wins (I've been told weekends higher, tues/wed lower general rule for published airfares)? What about time of day (prices change at midnight? less bidders during the day?)

I want to hold off on booking San Diego until I commit dates for Hawaii. Any input, greatly appreciated.

There is no better/worse time to bid and the number of others bidding at that time should have no relevance. It all comes down to the 'priceline rate' loaded into the system and when that rate is updated.

You are right that $150 is likely too low be be accepted, but it never hurts to try... especially with time on your side. There is a further dicussion of "when to bid" in our PRICELINE FAQ.

My advice would be to begin bidding now, but make sure you don't overbid. We can suggest a strategy for you to follow, but first we'll need to know:

-are you willing to pay more for a Resort vs. a 4* property or is your goal the least expensive 4* or better hotel for these dates?

-what you maximum bid is currently (i have an idea of what i think it should be, but let us know your thoughts and we'll advise if your number is significantly different than our own)

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Goal- best value for any one of the three resort properties (Westin, Sheraton, Hyatt)- not 4* or better (I guess I was confusing Priceline/Hotwire terminology there). Do you think Whaler/condos have been removed from "resort" bids on Priceline?

High bid to date $200 (since I know one of the properties was $279 last nite on Hotwire, likely Westin/Sheraton, and I wanted to hold off going too aggressive until I got some advice).

I very much appreciate your educated input- obviously, I do have time, so I can be patient!

• 1 month later...

as follow-up:

bid on Ebay- Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort North timeshare (the new property)

1 bedroom oceanview w/ full kitchen, w/d, whirlpool, Lanai...

It required setting the alarm clock to place last minute bid at 3 am (seller was in CA, I'm in NJ), but I got it for $1125; 8/22-29...

Less than $165/nite, tax inc. & no resort fee- sweet! Received confirmation from resort within 1 week.

Learned alot as a result of this forum- also got $20 OGG mid-size car PRICELINE win for same week (see post, under rental car)

Thanks all, and happy travels!

The 4* Customer Favorite on Hotwire in Kaanapali is the Westin. My wife and I have booked it twice. Once in September (low season-right after labor day) and once for January 2009. Both of these trips were booked almost a year in advance and we got great deals on both on Hotwire. Once the great price was only around for a day and the other a couple weeks. We have had stuff fluctuate during the day, but only by a few dollars. Both deals I booked during the week.

I think I have read the other 4* on Hotwire is the Sheraton (is not labeled the customer favorite) and the 4.5 or 5 star is the Hyatt.

I check everyday and sometimes I stumble upon some great deals.

If you are looking for a condo- try VBRO.com - they have some pretty good deals for the Whaler and Kaanapali shores.

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

What would you consider to be a "good price" on the customer favorite in Kaanapali that you mentioned? I think for the dates I need it (Dec 21-24) it is over $400 at the moment. Should I watch/wait since I have a while to go? Since this is a busy time, I want to make sure we have a room. Maybe I'm just being paranoid! :)

Thanks!

I'd be more focused on airfares for those dates right now- they seem to be going up every day w/ no end in sight.

As for Westin KOR, I would think right before x-mas might not be bad, since you'd be gone by the holiday (don't know what the days of the week are that you would be traveling, but that plays a big part, too). You aren't looking for a full week, you'd be booking directly w/ the resort instead of negotiating w/ an owner. That means fewer options. Any chance you can push it back to earlier in Dec? Travel fares (air and hotel) are really good from the Tuesday after Thanksgiving until around 12/14-

Are you sure you want a condo and not one of the hotels (Westin/Sheraton/Hyatt)? Are you sure you want only Westin KOR as opposed to one of the other condo resorts (Whaler, Marriott)?

If you're 100% sure you want this property, these dates, I'd secure your airfare first, then sit on HOTWIRE and PRICELINE every day, bid wisely and give it some time.

My 2 cents-

ps- I'll be there in about 70 days ( :) ), so if you want a trip report, drop me a line over Labor Day weekend-

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]