Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on the Hudson

canada08
By canada08,
in

Hi,

I am looking for a room in Jersey City, 5/7/08 - 5/13/08. I want to stay in one of the 3* hotels, preferably the Hyatt on the Hudson. However, another one will do. I have bidded on Priceline, using the Savingsbarn link, starting at 90, then 105, 115 and 125 (2 seperate bids). No success at all. I've looked on the board, but one of the highest bids I've seen is 115, most are approximately 90. What to do next? Increase my bid? Wait? I am willing to go up to 150, but only if it gives me something satisfying, so I don't think I want to downgrade to 2,5* or 2*.. I want to stay in this area to go to New York City, and save some money on hotels as they are relatively expensive in Manhattan. Is this an expensive time (I read something about an exam week?), am I too early, should I look on other sites, or is it possible no hotels are available?

Thank you in advance for your help.

It's an expensive time in NYC... and as a result Jersey City as well.

Rates for your nites at the Hyatt average over $300/nite, with some of the nites being $400+

I'm not sure if it would help, but is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Would you consider raising your maximum budget and lowering your star quality to stay directly in Manhattan at The Pod for $188/nite? It's a budget hotel, but it gets very good reviews.

Other than the above, you can choose to wait it out, lower your star quality (not sure if this will help either given the limited number of hotels in the area), or move further into NJ.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I've stayed in the Pod Hotel before, but now I'm with my with my girlfriend, so I'd like to improve the quality..

I am willing to split my priceline bid, but into what parts would you recommend? As I am not sure what would be the best split-up strategy.

I'm not planning to wait it out, nor lowering my star quality. I'm not very keen on moving further in NJ either.

Thank you again.

You can try your bids again, using the following date combinations:

5/7/08 - 5/12/08

5/8/08 - 5/13/08

5/7/08 - 5/11/08

5/9/08 - 5/13/08

5/7/08 - 5/10/08

5/10/08 - 5/13/08

However, i think it is very likely that if you're not willing to lower your star rating or move further into NJ, you're going to have to raise your maximum bid. Do you have a best 'other plan' in mind?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I'm still looking into it, so I'll update on the proceedings later on. I was wondering, which hotel this is on Hotwire:

2,5*, Secaucus - Meadowlands, Amenities: Complementary Breakfast, Fitness, Restaurant (Found through 5/7/08 - 5/13/08, $117 a night).

By the way, what maximum bid do you think (I know you don't know for sure, it's just to get an idea) is necessary to get the 3* hotel in Jersey City for the original dates?

Thanks.

The HOTWIRE hotel above has not yet been identified, but my concern would be if it were the Meadowlands Plaza hotel. As well, there are too many other reasonably priced hotels in this area to settle for a 2.5* (imo).

As far as a hotel in Jersey City, i don't know where the magic number is, but i would think you'll need to be closer to $200 than $100 to be successful.

The Doubletree can be booked for $233/nite (non-refundable), but at that rate i would sooner take The Pod and stay directly in the city itself.

Quikbook and GTA Hotels are good sources for cancellable back-ups.

MOST, but not all, rates on each site are cancellable. On Quickbook they're clearly marked as non-refundable (if not marked as such then they are refundable)... GTA Hotels has the policy for each hotel in the description.

We'll be there just after you leave, and we always shoot for a JC room. Our experience with booking in JC on Hotwire and Priceline is that we've won rooms with as little as 4 days notice and as far as 6 weeks for the Hyatt and Doubletree. As thereuare mentioned, it is a pricey time to be in City, and prices over the past couple of years reflect the fact that people keep coming. Our first victories in JC in May '06 allowed us to win $75 rooms at the Doubletree when rack was $150. Now I am used to seeing $100-125 rates for the Doubletree on PL with rack rates at least $200.

I wouldn't get too worked up about not getting any success now. I did win a room at the Doubletree at a lower rate 10 minutes after being rejected at a higher rate for weekdays that traditionally never get sold via PL. We always book a reservation at the Doubletree that we can cancel to establish a ceiling rate and still be happy to not pay top dollar in Manhattan, and then keep bidding for success.

Proud to be Canadian!

Thanks for the advice! I'll take that into consideration. I'm going to book a backup hotel..

I have one question (not specific for blkjck1), could anybody explain the following, which I found at reservetravel.com:

"Cxl by 1 day prior to arrival cxl fee - 1 night cxl 1 day before departure to avoid 1 night fee-no show 1 night"

It has something to do with the cancellation policy, but I can't make anything of it. Could you please explain it?

Thanks

I see the $200 rate now (shows when searching for 2 adults but sold-out when searching for 1 adult :) ).

However, this is the cancellation policy i show:

Through the Internet site where your reservation was made, cancellations must be made 24 hours prior to arrival to avoid a 1 night cancellation and/or no show charge.

I'm having trouble with their website so can't confirm the details of their Terms and Condidtions (although if the above are the complete terms then that would appear to be the case). HOWEVER:

1) i'd be curious as to why you previously the terms you posted above, but now the terms are different

2) i believe this may be for a room with one double bed... not sure if that would work for your needs or not

• 1 month later...

Well, an update on the situation:

I've managed to stay at a friend for 5/7/08-5/10/08, and just booked the following for 5/10/08-5/12/08:

1st bid $80 3* Jersey City, increase bid of $22, but didn't, instead:

2nd bid $85 3* Jersey City + Elizabeth, and got:

Hyatt Regency On The Hudson (showed for approx. $139 on Hotwire)

Just looking for one extra night, we'll see where that's going to be.

Thanks!

PS Wanted to adjust the title, but did not know how to do that..

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]