Priceline $4 Bonus

carlbarry
By carlbarry,
in

I received an email from Priceline offering me as a valued customer a $4 bonus on my car rental. In other words, if I bid $9, they will add $4 for a $13 total. As I've been watching prices for my Feb. 25-29 Orlando trip, I took advantage. The lowest price on Priceline is now $16 a day. Using the "bonus" link, I bid $13, only to be informed that if I want a car, I should bid at least $32! Therefore, to get the $4 bonus, I have to bid almost double the price otherwise offered. A call to customer service solved nothing. Has anybody had any experience with this? Thanks.

The lowest price on Priceline is now $16 a day
Is this thru their "retail" product where the prices are shown? What is the rental company offering that rate?
I bid $13, only to be informed that if I want a car, I should bid at least $32!
Did you actually submit the bid, or was this a "you have a low chance... you should bid $xx" type of a message?

What car class were you bidding for? (and i assume this was the same car class offered at $16 above)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It was an economy car. Yes, I submitted the bid, and then got the "That would be a great price, but we doubt you'll get it. You have a better chance at $32, and best chance at $33" notice. I continued, and was told no company accepted. I've used Priceline before, so I'm not a novice . . . the low price (Payless) has been posted as $16 for 3 days. Yet they told me that it might not be "up to date" while the "bonus" link would be! What nerve.

Payless does not participate in the name-your-own-price program. If you decide to rent with them, read their web site carefully as their policies are different than the major rental car companies (mileage may be restricted, driving area restricted, insurance card may need to be shown).

Therefore your bid did not include Payless - only the companies that participate in name-your-own-price.

Szymon

I just got a car using the bonus. they can say what they want but i just bid through it. I offered 11 for a compact/ they added 4/ 15 was accepted. sfo 4 days. they told me there was not a good chance but in the end they took it. the only downside was i did not use the link to benefit this site this time and have every other time. the fees are almost as much as the car so 11 is plenty!

tt

I was stupidly depending on Pricline's price listing, and bidding using my $4 bonus, in the low teens. I was doing this since last week, when Payless was listed as $16 per day. I bid all the way up to $14, which equalled $18. Today, the listed price jumped to $40 per day! I feel I was royally shafted by Priceline.

I was stupidly depending on Pricline's price listing, and bidding using my $4 bonus, in the low teens... Today, the listed price jumped to $40 per day! I feel I was royally shafted by Priceline.

To blame priceline is ridiculous. You were told the reason for your rejected bids a few days ago in THIS post above.

Prices changed while you continued to bid... this time they didn't move in your favor, that's certainly not priceline's fault.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I blame Priceline because I was depending on their price listings, which did NOT move up. However, last night when I threw in the towel and decided to purchase directly without bidding, the $17 quoted price suddenly became $40! I blame Priceline for misleading on the listed price, and then upping it when you "accept" it. The listed price was holding steady for over a week, while apparently the ACTUAL price was increasing precipitously. If the listed price had reflected the actual, increasing price, I would have of course purchased immediately. However, Priceline did NOT list the actual price. That is bait and switch, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, the result is: I gave up on Priceline when I found a rental at EZ Rent A Car. It was about half of what Priceline is currently offering for MCO, Feb. 25-29. I paid $17 per day, less 2% discount for joining their "club." Priceline's best price was Payless for about $40. I didn't even bother with bidding, as I figured it could not possibly compete; yesterday my offer for $26 was rejected.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]