Unlimited miles and no area restrictions

MrCrabs
By MrCrabs,
in

Are there any car rental places that have unlimited miles with no restrictions on the states you can drive in??

I want to drive to Florida next month, from NY and wanted to use a rental car instead of my own gas guzzlers.

When getting rates from Hotwire.com it says unlimited miles are included, but with no mention any area restrictions. When I called a local Enterprise their unlimited miles was only good states as far south as Maryland. For rentals that go farther than that, you only get 100 miles a day, and $0.35 a mile over the 100.

If hotwire won't tell me the agency until after I book the car how am I supposed to know what the policies are????

Anyone tried using a hotwire/priceline/Expedia for a rental with no restrictions like this before???

The geographic restrictions are put in place specifically to prevent renters from doing exactly what you intend to do.

I don't think any of the opaque providers are going to be the solution for this trip and you're going to have a tough time finding a rental agency to allow this trip with unlimited miles.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Where in New York would you be renting from?

Szymon

I would be renting from Buffalo, NY

Here is an email I recieved from Hotwire yesterday when I asked them this same question....

According to Hotwire I can drive from NY to FLA and back with no problems. Part of me is paranoid that when I get the car back to the airport rental counter they will try and charge me for the miles, but at least I wouldn't deal with it until I got back from my vacation.

I understand you want to know more about driving a rental car out of

state from where you pick up. Unlimited mileage is included for all

discounted car rentals made through Hotwire. If you are a U.S. resident

with a booking in the U.S. or Canada, you may drive your rental car

anywhere in those two countries.

These reservations are round trip rentals, which means they need to be

dropped off at the same airport location where you pick up the vehicle.

We are able to offer significant savings for our car rentals, because we

negotiate special rates with our car rental partners. As there is a

significant additional charge associated with returning a car to a

different location, we currently only offer round trip rates.

Perhaps HOTWIRE has a special arrangement with the car rental companies to allow for this, but when you pick up your car you do sign the car rental company's standard agreement, which is where the geographic limitations would be stipulated.

I would think that the letter would protect you from an additional charge, although the rental company could make you pay and then you'd have to go after HOTWIRE for the difference... but then again if you sign the rental agreement which states you agree not to drive outside of their geographical limitations, i'm not sure if that would override any promose you received from HOTWIRE if 'push came to shove'.

I'm fairly conservative so i'm not sure if i'd take the risk and just 'show up at the counter'... but probably would take the risk of the purchase, then calling the rental company to confirm it's "ok"... if not, i'd then have HOTWIRE sort it out or agree to cancel the purchase (armed with their email above stating it would be ok)

If you do move forward please keep us updated as to the events that take place... and please use our HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here is my current plan.

1) Make a reservation with Hotwire (using the links from this site)

2) Call the rental agency and found out if hotwire rentals really have no restrictions like Hotwire told me.

3) If I am told no, that hotwire was mistaken, then I can get hotwire to sort it out.

4) If hotwire can't fix it, then I have the option to dispute the charge with my credit card company, because hotwire is commiting fraud (false advertising, false information)

Hopefully I don't have to go past step 2.

I will post back as this unfolds.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i would also like to know which company i can rent from to take long road trip?

Priceline has no state to state restrictions and unlimited mileage. Pricelines agreement supercedes that of the car rental agency. So even if they had state to state restrictions they wouldnt apply since you went through Priceline.(note reservation has to be made with the name your price function, NOT the 'select from a list' selections.)

• 2 weeks later...
Priceline has no state to state restrictions and unlimited mileage. Pricelines agreement supercedes that of the car rental agency. So even if they had state to state restrictions they wouldnt apply since you went through Priceline.(note reservation has to be made with the name your price function, NOT the 'select from a list' selections.)

hey can someone point it out to me for the "no state to state restrictions" at PRICELINE name your price? there is nowhere to be find on their web site. i tried to call but i cant get to customer services to answer my call.

is it the same deal with HOTWIRE too?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]