Priceline Hotel: 3* Philadelphia (Downtown) Wyndham Franklin Park

Margie
By Margie,
in

Hello, while traveling through PA we will be in Philadelphia for 1 night (I know - not near enough time; but, better than none at all). Our date is May 23, 2004 a Sunday night., and we need 1 room. I would like to bid on a 4* Hotel in the Downtown Area. Since we have so little time to visit, I would like to bid just this area for now as I think it would be most convenient as far as doing a little sightseeing. I looked at previously won bids and they seemed surprisingly low (although I realize that rates change with seasons, events, etc.) Can I hope to get this for $40-50? Am I being too cheap? Please advise if you think this is too low and a strategy for bidding. I appreciate you help and opinion, and as always I am happy to bid through the SavingsBarn site. Thanks!

We can try for $40-$50 as there is at least one hotel in the zone that is known to accept bids in that range (but as you said, depending upon availability).

At the 4* level you have 7 PRICELINE RE-BIDS available, giving you a total of 8 bids every 72 hours.

This is how i would proceed (assuming $50 is your upper limit... i wouldn't necessarily increase in such small increments if $50 is not currently your upper limit):

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $38, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $42, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $44, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $46, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $46, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $49, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $50.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.... and thank you for your support.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the strategy, I appreciate it. When I first looked at PL for Philadelphia I thought that I was confused on the re-bid zones, I have NEVER had 7 "freebies" when bidding other cities - - this is a luxury! Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I'll keep you posted on my bidding progress.

So far no luck, but I noticed something and wanted to know if it was relevant; when I started bidding I typed in my bid and was told "Suggested retail price for a 4 star hotel in Philadelphia" was $174. When I finished bidding the "suggested retail price" was $191. Is this a ploy for PL to get you to bid higher? Or does it actually reflect PL inventory?

I will bid again and will most likely up the bid limit for a 4*. If that doesn't work I'll probably drop to a 3 (although the reviews aren't that great for the properties). I'm not picky - just need clean & well located, I just thought it would be a treat to stay in a 4*. This is just a "side trip" for us and I don't want the hotel, lunch, dinner, museum tickets, etc to make bright idea of "hey let stop in Philly" to turn into an expensive 24 hours.

From the reviews, the 2.5* Philadelphia downtown Courtyard by Marriott actually sounds better than some of the 3*s!

Bid up to $55 for 4* & was rejected. Decided to be a bit more realistic and try for the 2.5* Courtyard, I bid $38 and was "upgraded" to the Wyndham Franklin Park (why does PL have to do you these "favors"??) The reviews aren't so good, but the price is perfect and I'm sure it will be ok. Thanks for your help.

I stayed at this hotel a couple of times in April (non-priceline, AAA Rate). Generally it was fine. Some of the furnishings in the rooms are a little bit worn, but everything worked properly. Bed was good and the rooms are clean. During a heavy rain, some of the rooms have trouble with leaky windows. In my case, the leak was confined to a window sill and I put a towel there. Didn't turn out to be a big deal. If you haven't done so already, I recommend you join Wyndham by Request. It is free to join and gets you a bunch of ammenities (Free Hi Speed Internet, Free Phone Calls, Welcome Snack, Express Checkin, etc.). I am pretty sure Wyndham By Request is still valid on priceline stays. Hope this helps...

--Jon

Thanks everyone for sharing your comments. I joined the "ByRequest" Program - I don't expect the 'perks' with our PL bid, but thought it couldn't hurt. I also called the hotel to confirm our reservation (took almost 24 hrs. for the PL res. to show up in the system), and requested a high room with a view. The woman who answered my call was very helpful and friendly. Honestly, if our room overlooks an airshaft I can live with it, as long as it is clean! I will add my comments to the hotel review section when we return. Thanks again!

Had a great stay, thanks for all of your assistance! I have posted a detailed review in the hotel section but in short: check in was quick, and we were very lucky to be upgraded (at no additional cost) to a Junior Suite, without even asking! Suite was room #1402 and provided a nice view of downtown. Room was clean, staff was helpful and friendly. Location was fine and we really enjoyed the city. Looking forward to a return visit when we can spend more time enjoy all that Philadelphia has to offer.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]