Staying in NJ... visiting NYC

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

Many people choose to stay in NJ as an alternative to higher NYC prices. Here is some transportation information for those doing so:

PATH System Map

PATH Schedule

The Jersey City area is one of the best to accomplish this. The Hyatt, DoubleTree, and Courtyard hotels are all within walking distance to the PATH train (the Hyatt via Exchange Place station; the DoubleTree and the Courtyard via Pavonia/Newport station). However, these two stations run on different lines and the lines change (see PATH System Map link above) PATH fare is $1.50.

The Exchange Place station is most convenient to get to Downtown Manhattan as it's only one stop and will take about 7 minutes. To get to mid-town during the daytime requires a change of trains at the Pavonia/Newport station. At nite it requires a change of trains at the Grove Street station. These transfers are not that big of a hassle except late at nite if you time the trains poorly you can be waiting on the platform for what seems like a long time. It may just be easier for guests closest to the Exchange Place station that want to go to mid-town to take the PATH to downtown NYC and then take the NYC subway uptown (especially if you have an unlimited use METROCARD since the NYC subway would then not cost you any additional money). It's a 10+ minute walk from the Exchange Place station to the Pavonia Newport station and if the weather is nice you may opt to walk it... but don't do this late at nite as the area between the two stations can be desolate in some parts and you may not feel that safe. Another option is to take the LightRail system (see more info below) but this would be a very short trip that would cost $1.50 and not likely worth it.

From the Pavonia/Newport station it's easy to get to mid-town, but late during the nite the train travels thru Hoboken (no need to transfer, just stay on the train, but adds 6-7 minutes onto your trip). Without going thru Hoboken the trip from Pavonia/Newport to 33rd St is about 20 minutes.

Here is a map of the timetable of the LightRail System (map part is along the left side of the page). If heading to Hoboken the LightRail is a nice alternative to the PATH as it's new and travels above ground, so it's a bit nicer of a trip for the same $1.50 fare. When using the LightRail you must buy a ticket from the platform machines and then validate your ticket by stamping it in the machine! Nobody collects the tickets, but there are random spot checks and if you're caught without a validated ticket (which includes a ticket that you didn't validate in the machine) there is a steep fine.

If staying in the Secaucus/Meadowlands area NJ Transit Bus System runs frequent service to the NY Port Authority (although there may be limited or no service shortly after midnite). There is now also a major HUB/Transfer Train Station in Secaucus and you can see the NJ Transit Train Map and you can use this page's drop down menus to find Schedule and Fare Information (remember you'll also need to find a way to/from your hotel to the Secaucus Station)

Please feel free to ask for transportation help as a reply to this thread as there may be others down the road that have questions about the same or similar route.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 9 months later...

Since it is often asked where the midtown PATH Station is located and/or how you know which train to take, i have taken these photos....

This is the entrance to the PATH on 33rd and Sixth Ave/Broadway. It's a triangle of land on 32nd St (that is not a type-o, it's the 33rd St station but easiest entrance is on 32nd St) between Sixth Ave and Broadway. The arrow points to the stairs leading down to the PATH:

PATHentrance.jpg

Above each train door (or slightly to the left/right) the train's destination will be illuminated, this train is going to 33rd St:

PATHdestination.jpg

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Using the PATH SYSTEM MAP from above....

The Hyatt, at the Exchange Place Station, has the red and green line that run thru it.

Midtown, the 33rd Street Station, has the Blue, Yellow, and Blue/Yellow line run to it.

Therefore, to get from Exchange Place to midtown requires a transfer.

During Peak Times you would take the Green Line (Hoboken Train) to Pavonia Newport and transfer to the Yellow Line (33rd Street Train).

During Off-Peak Times you would take the Red Line (Newark Train) to Grove Street and from there transfer to the Blue/Yellow Line (33rd Street Train).

For Definitions of Peak/Off-Peak see the box on the left side of the map.

During off-peak i would just head to the WTC station and from there take a subway to midtown.... during peak times it would depend upon my mood.

Hi there,

I plan on visiting NYC during Easter weekend, from 3/24 - 3/27. And due to obvious reasons, I couldn't find a reasonable price on any hotels in Manhattan. The option of staying in Jersey City sounds very tempting.

There is one thing that concerns me. It seems the PATH does not have any scheduled runs pass midnight. My gf and I sometime would stay out later than that. Is there any other easy way to return to Jersey City without PATH? Does Manhattan cabs go to Jersey City?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Question about getting to New York from Fort Lee - Hackensack

Would it be similar to transit from Secaucus/Meadowlands? Limited transportation available late evenings and weekends?

btw your links in the first post NJ Transit Bus System and Schedule and Fare Information for Secaucus/Meadowlands information just give 404 Object Not Found although I was able to find the information eventuallly.

Similar situation in the Ft. Lee area, but there are also some areas in that (large) priceline zone that will have substantially less service than others. There are better areas than the Ft. Lee zone to commute from, but if you'd like to discuss your own stay please start a NEW TOPIC in the NJ Forum.

I came across the following link on the PATH website. Click the link and it will download a 14 page pdf file and list several parking options for each station. Better yet, it has a map that is in scale showing the stations as well as the light rail stops. Looking at the map, one will realize just how convenient the Jersey City hotels, especially the Hyatt, are to Manhattan.

PATH Parking Guide

Staying in the Secaucus area may be an alternative when Jersey City hotels are either not available or too expensive. The following link will download a schedule for the Route 320 bus into Manhattan. Many of the Secaucus hotels located in Harmon Meadows/Mill Creek are shown on the map, these include the Prime Suites now La Quinta Suites, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, Marriott Courtyard and Amerisuites. The fare is currently $2.60 each way into the Port Authority Bus Terminal. NJ Transit Route 320

• 2 weeks later...

staying in Edison, New Brunswick zones is also ok. Most of the NJ transit stations has parking available. Metro park in edison has 5 levels of daily parking available if u drive. NJ transit also has feeder buses to that station.

While Edison may be an option, i would rank it third after Jersey City (and Secaucus which is a distant second).

The advantage of Jersey City is that it is almost the equivalent of staying in NYC as depending where in NYC you are, it can sometimes be easier/quicker to get to Jersey City than it is to another point in Manhattan.

If you stay in Jersey City, it is easy to head back to the hotel throughout the day if you choose to do so (to take a break, rest, shower, change, etc before dinner for example) where this is less feasible when staying in the Secaucus area and usually 'not worthwhile' when staying in the Edison area.

As well, for those that are late nite partiers, the PATH runs 24/7 while (i believe) service to the other two areas eventually stops at some point in the nite.

So yes the Edison area is certainly commutable, but i wouldn't consider it until i have exhausted all of my other options first.

• 1 month later...

I would respectfully disagree.

Before the JC Hyatt came on board, we (from VA) would often bid in the Woodbridge/Edison area and take the train in from Metropark. The ride on NJ Transit to NY Penn is as short as 37 minutes, depending on train, and only $10.25 roundtrip. Parking is $5 ($2 on weekends if back by midnight) and always available. It's great for those on a budget. We have stayed at the Hilton, which is just a few blocks from the station, for $35 or less many times. There are several other respectable hotels in the area, including a very nice Sheraton and Hilton Garden Inn.

Now that JC Hyatt availability has dropped dramatically, I have again turned to the Edison area.

It's fine for us to disagree (and i don't think there is a "right or wrong"), but i made my comments above based upon:

-free parking (vs. pay in Edison)

-20-25 minutes travel time by bus (vs. 40 minutes from Edison)

-~$5RT to NYC (vs. $10 from Edison)

-more frequent bus service (vs. train from Edison)

-heading back to the hotel during the day and then returning to NYC is an inconvenience, yet do-able, from Secaucus/Meadowlands... a bit far (and twice as much) to do from Edison

So is Edison a vailable option, absolutely; but if given the choice i my preference would be the Secaucus/Meadowlands area. I suppose that coming from VA your preference is also affected by the trip to Edison cutting about 45 minutes off of your trip (vs. travling to Secaucus/Meadowlands), which is a factor that tips the scales in Edison's favor for you.

just one short block away from the PATH Journal Square station is a new parking garage at 2854 John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ that has offered free parking (up to 12 hours) for the past two days. I asked the manager when this promotion will end and he did not know. Just drive by and if you see the "free parking" sign out, enter the garage on Sip Avenue. The normal rate is $8.00 for up to 24 hours. I left my car overnight, and walked a block to my hotel, Ramada Limited, Jersey City. FREE PARKING..... Sweet :)

• 2 months later...

Cost will vary great depending upon where in NYC you are.

Late at nite it's not that difficult to get a cab to go to NYC, it's mostly during very busy time (like rush hour) when cabs are looking for 'quick fare turns'. When i take a cab to the PATH i'm sometimes offered a deal if i'm interested in taking the taxi to NJ, but never take them up on it as it's not worth it.

The meter is doubled and you have to pay for their return toll ($6), so from midtown to Hoboken is generally in the $30 range (which just isn't worth it vs. the $1.50 fare via PATH)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I realize I am replying to an old thread but I just signed up recently. Jersey City is obviously the best way to go for NYC but they are sold out often. I would disagree with your next best options of Edison or the Meadowlands. The Hilton Newark Penn Station (not the airport one) is directly connected to the train station (you do not have to go outside). Not only is it connected to the PATH (20 minutes train ride to WTC) but you can also take the NJTransit train right to Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan for $4. The train ride is only 15 minutes, although it doesn't come quite as often as the PATH. I always stayed at the Hilton Penn Station for NYC trips before i moved to the area. My friend booked it on Hotwire recently for $80.

I realize I am replying to an old thread but I just signed up recently. Jersey City is obviously the best way to go for NYC but they are sold out often. I would disagree with your next best options of Edison or the Meadowlands. The Hilton Newark Penn Station (not the airport one) is directly connected to the train station (you do not have to go outside). Not only is it connected to the PATH (20 minutes train ride to WTC) but you can also take the NJTransit train right to Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan for $4. The train ride is only 15 minutes, although it doesn't come quite as often as the PATH. I always stayed at the Hilton Penn Station for NYC trips before i moved to the area. My friend booked it on Hotwire recently for $80.

Welcome! by all means, please post the results of this HOTWIRE "win" in the appropriate area; information like this makes the board up to date as amenities and ratings change. While I agree that the Hilton has a good location for access to NYC, the list of reported wins shows that the Gateway Hilton shares the same amenities with the Sheraton and the Airport Hilton, so there is no way to guarantee the same outcome that your friend received. I agree that Edison or East Brunswick is not a viable alternative for access to NYC.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]