Staying in NJ... visiting NYC

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

I realize this is an old thread but was hoping for some clarification. I am looking to stay in secaucus/meadowlands area simply because jersey city's hotel prices during the time I wish to visit is about double that of secaucus + paying for parking. I am reading the 320 Bus Schedule to NY, which is kind of greek to me, but am I reading it right? Will I be able to get to and from the hotel with a bus from Secaucus until a little after midnight including weekends?

This seems pretty convenient to me, however I've been routinely finding people saying that it is inconvenient to stay in Secaucus because you have limited bus service on nights and weekends. If I do not plan on being in the city past midnight is it a big deal to stay in Secaucus? I will pay for the hotel in Jersey city if necessary, but would rather not considering it is an extra $100 a night plus parking. Is it worth the extra money? Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Yes you will be able to get back to the hotel at the hours you've indicated.

The Waterfront area of Jersey City is more convenient with PATH train service, but not worth $100/nite more, imo... although i'm not seeing it costing that much more, you may want to post in your Hotwire Secaucus thread regarding how you arrived at the $100/nite figure.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...

babying,

For specific advice for an upcoming stay please start a NEW TOPIC and include pertinent information such as your dates of travel, desired star rating and budget.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...
The PATH and NYC Subway are two different systems, and therefore require separate fares. The PATH fare is going up to $2 per ride in a few weeks.

Thanks for your reply!It is very helpful!

I visited PATH website and found that PATH could accept Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard .

Is the MetroCard same of NY subway?

Can I buy a NYC Metro Card and use for both PATH and subway ?

If I take PATH and switch NY subway by using MetroCard,should I pay twice?

Thanks!

Yes, the PATH accept's NYC Subway's Metrocard for payment, but they are two different systems, and you have to pay (separately) for each.

If you buy a multi-trip ticket PATH ticket (minimum 20 trips, which is only 5 round trips for two people traveling together) you can get a discount of 25% off the base fare (so currently the $1.75 fare is reduced to $1.40... the $2.00 fare will be reduced to $1.50). If you use metrocard there is no discount available.

Actually, the discounted fares are now only available for SmarlLink card holders, and the card costs $5, so not sure if the .30-.50 discount will add up enough for you to recoup the $5 fee.

Yes, you can purchase one smartlink card and use between a few people on the same trip ('tapping' the card to pay for each person in your group). The card is available for purchase and vending machines at Pavonia/Newport Station... but fyi, these machines only take cash.

• 3 years later...

A few years ago I have stayed twice in het Westin Newport city. A friend of my, will stay in this area with 5 people coming summer.  

What kind of ticket/card is the best for them for the Path to New York? I think that they will visit NY 2 or 3 times and after that return to Jersey City. I have bought a 10 rides card a few years ago at a small bookstore in front of the Newport Station. Is that store still selling tickets?

Is the watertaxi also an option?

Many thanks

The PATH fare is currently $2.75 per ride.

To receive any discount you need a SmartLink Card which costs $5 (for the card itself, no fares included for the $5) at which point you can bring the cost down to $2.10/ride when purchasing in multiples of 10 rides at a time.... so they would need to make 8 trips (at a savings of .65 cents per trip) before making the purchase of the $5 card worthwhile.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]