Thai in NYC

ShibuyaJon
By ShibuyaJon,
in

Are you restricted to MTE and MTW only? I would think that some of the better thai is found downtown in East/West Village.

Outside of MTE and MTW and I've never been personally, but from somebody i trust when it comes to restaurants:

Thailand (Chinatown, on Bayard at Baxter)

Little Basil (West Village)

Holy Basil (East Village, sister restaurant to Little Basil above)

In the area you requested and i've never been:

Yum Thai (44th b/w 6th and B'way)... been told NO ATMOSPHERE but good (and cheap)

In the are you requested and i have been:

Pam's Thai (49th and 9th... on 49th) ... decent enuff, again, NO ATMOSPHERE

??_____ (42nd st just west of 9th Ave) ... nice atmosphere and food was good, i'll find out the name today or tomorrow

(edit: as noted below, the name of this place is Sukhothai and is located at 411 W 42ND St New York NY)

Hope some of these compare to Lotus of Siam :) (impressed?)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am not limited to MTW & MTE, but that is the general area I am staying (Sheraton). I'll look into the places you recommend.

Lotus of Siam is overrated, IMHO. I've never figured out why they get so much good press. There is better Thai in Vegas, such as Kanchana (no atmosphere, but excellent food) and Thai Room II.

I've never actually been to Lotus of Siam but i don't think it's that well known from non-locals so i thought you might at least be surprised that i had heard about it.

I think we're off the same breed: "Take me where the good food and the tourists aren't.... and i don't care what it looks like!"

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've been to Yum Thai. It's a luncheonette/diner, but the food is very good. They make one of the best beef salads I've had in town.

Pam Real Thai is a step or two up in atmosphere (metal utensils, woohoo!) and you could consider having dinner there with a friend (but not a date). The beef with stringbeans there (E11 on the menu) is the standout for me.

Nearby are Wondee Siam I and II. Both are within a block of each other on opposite sides of the street on 52-3 and 9th. II is more pleasant inside and takes credit cards, I has a marginally better kitchen (they're both good) and is a small amount cheaper. At I, my favorite thing is the duck/apple salad. Both are inexpensive.

Red Garlic is on 8th at 55th and has the best ambience of all and the highest prices, but I don't think the food is any better (and may be a little less good) than the others. But you could take a guest there.

• 3 weeks later...

I ate at Sokhothai on only one occasion and although the atmosphere/ambiance was really nice, the food was only fair and the serv ice was downright incompetent. Repeated requests for more water went ignored, I had to get up and wander around to find someone to bring us the extra cutlery we'd requested etc.. It wasn't unfriendly - just totally indifferent. YMMV!

I've eaten at Pam's Real Thai twice - first time was very good by NYC midtown standards and the second was hot or miss. Out of four entrees two were really good and two were mediocre. I've eaten at Royal Siam (I think that's the name) on 8th or 9th in the lower 40's or the high 30's - - it's on the east side of the astreet. Had a pretty good meal and it was nice atmopshere - small, quiet and tastefully decorated. No one has mentioned Pong Sri in the theater district - their downtown location is said to be a bit better but I've eaten at the one in theter distrcit and it was fairly good but not too spicy enough when I requested things that way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]