Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Elizabeth) Country Inn and Suites

Tumpster
By Tumpster,
in

So my friend and I are on a road trip to Boston in mid to late may, we're going to come back through and stop in NYC to see the city for a day and to catch a Yankees game. Is it possible to catch a 2 or 3 star somewhere in city with parking for under $90? I can find the Crowne plaza near La Guardia for $99 a night but was looking to see if there was something better out there and I'm new to all this. I'd appreciate any help anyone wants to give! Thanks!

My friend and I are road tripping it to Boston, we're coming back through and want to see NYC and catch a Yankees game. Would it be better to stay in the Meadowland if we get a cheap hotel? I just want to make sure we get a cheaper hotel. I'm getting a $49 3 star w/ the following amenities: Comp Breakfast, High Speed, Pool, and Laundry. Would I be able to get on mass transit easily and without paying through the nose? Thanks!

P.S. Where else could I stay where it would be cheaper but easier access to mass transit?

We stayed at the Sheraton Meadowlands last summer and I thought the shuttle service to Secaucas Junction and NJT was fine during the day, but there were some long waits for the shuttle to come pick us up at night. If you are staying in Harmon Plaza, it's much easier to catch the bus into the city from there with service about every 15 minutes 24 hours a day. For me, the 60 minute round trip from the hotel to the city is worth the $130 per night I saved versus staying in a midtown Manhattan hotel.

Spring is an expensive time in the NYC-metro area and a hotel in NYC under $90, including parking, is not likely.

I would think the Meadowlands/Secaucus would be a better choice than Brooklyn, as well as an almost 'sure thing' of no charge for parking. There are a few hotels which are not directly at a bus stop to get into the city, but having a car should give you flexibility to drive to a nearby bus stop (if necessary) or to a location with train access.

Just a correction to the above (unless i'm wrong) but i don't think bus service is 24/7 to Harmon Meadow... most NJ Transit busses stop operating by 2am (some well before) and resume at 5am-6am. Shouldn't be an issue for most, but don't want to see you stranded in the city at 3am with no way to get back to NJ for 3-4 hours.

There is a 3* on HOTWIRE for just $49/nite for your dates. Unfortunately this property has not yet been identified, but $49 seems somewhat cheap for this area for this time of year. If you do go for that please let us know what it is and use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchase you make.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When i previously searched HOTWIRE the amenities didn't match the La Quinta, but maybe you're seeing something different now... or since you've listed multiple date combinations we searched for different dates.

What dates are you searching for and what are the amenities HOTWIRE associates with the hotel you're being offered?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When i previously searched HOTWIRE the amenities didn't match the La Quinta, but maybe you're seeing something different now... or since you've listed multiple date combinations we searched for different dates.

What dates are you searching for and what are the amenities HOTWIRE associates with the hotel you're being offered?

I searched 5/20/08-5/23/08 and get back a 3* for $49 a night w/ Comp Breakfast, Pool(s), Laundry, and High Speed Internet. It states its in Seacacus/Meadowlands. Any ideas? And how can I get into the city from here?

I appreciate that, that really helps. I'm just having a hard time trying to pin this down. I thought it might be the Howard Johnson in that area but it only lists high speed internet and comp breakfast. Where the hotel I'm looking at on hotwire has pool, internet, laundry, breakfast....and hotwire tells me it's normally $109 a night vs. the $49 their offering me..anyone have any idea? Thanks for all the help so far!

So far, I think it might be the Homestead Studio Suites Hotels Secaucus.

I searched 5/20/08-5/23/08 and get back a 3* for $49 a night w/ Comp Breakfast, Pool(s), Laundry, and High Speed Internet. It states its in Seacacus/Meadowlands. Any ideas? And how can I get into the city from here?

these amenities don't match up with those reported HERE for the LaQuinta in Clifton, the hotel's web site lists a laundry but does not list a fitness center. Public transportation to NYC is via the NJ Transit Bus which stops behind the hotel. If you have a car, you might want to just drive to the park and ride in North Bergen as the bus service is more frequent.

LEts hope so, I've always enjoyed embassy suites. I think my buddy and I are going to go forward shortly on it maybe in the next 2 weeks so I'll keep everyone advised and let you know what it is once I do win it. If anyone knows though or has ideas of what it is I still welcome them! THanks! :)

A good guess, but I doubt that the Homestead is rated as a 3* even with HOTWIRE's star inflation; search HOTWIRE's Vacation Packages and you'll see that the Homestead is rated as a 2* with a Laundry icon. HoJo's is barely a 2*, I doubt that even HOTWIRE would rate it as a 3*. Its been years since I've stayed at the Embassy (great cooked to order breakfast but lousy Manager's reception...only one flat 12 oz beer or a glass of wine from a 5 liter box) and ironically, I went to see the Yanks as well, but drove over to the game. The Embassy typically has a Suite icon as well.

Although this has not been confirmed, I think that this 3* is the LaQuinta in Clifton, and you may want to conduct your search for 4 adults so that you improve your chances for getting a room with two beds; although you could still end up with a King and a sofa bed. You could put your savings towards tickets for theYankee Clipper and take a boat to Yankee's stadium.

PS, blindman is spot on with his advice, these rates could be gone tomorrow.

Good Luck with the roadtrip.

Alright I talked with my friend and we're going forward with our road trip. Leaving May 16th-20th for Boston (road tripping it!) and then we leave the morn of the 20th and drive into Jersey City and hop over to NYC from the 20th-24th. We're booking on Jan 14th, so I'll let everyone know how it goes! Thanks everyone so much for all you're help! I'll also to be sure to book through the HOTWIRE link from here. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]