Belgium Brussels Renaissance

lwitchel
By lwitchel,
in

• 4 weeks later...

What does $50+$10 bonus mean? In January of this year I made a first bid of $75 which was accepted and I got the Crown Plaza ( 4*) in Brussels. The hotel staff was amazed at what I paid as this is quite low for that hotel. The location was good, right by a metro stop and a reasonable walk from the Palace. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

• 3 months later...

Just spent a night at thhe Renaissance. Bid $64 on priceline. We were very pleasantly suprised by how nice a hotel this is. Taxi fee was about 7E each way to Grand Place from the hotel. Only drawback was finding it initially, as there are many confusing one-way streets in Brussels. Kids loved the pool and hot tub. Would happily stay thhere again.

• 5 months later...

We got the Renaissance via Priceline for the bargain rate of $65 per night 4th - 7th February 2005. While not in the centre of the tourist zone, it's a lovely comfortable hotel owned by the Marriott hotel group. It's 10 minues from Bourse/Grand Place either by Metro (Trone) or by a number of buses leaving from the adjacent Place Luxembourg. If you're travelling from Brussels Airport, the aircoach also stops in Place Luxembourg.

The hotel is very well equipped - rooms are a good size, and mainly queen beds. We asked for a king & were given room 530 (smoking) which was nice & spacious. Minibar wasn't as exorbitant as one would expect, but beware the bottle of Evian sitting out on the table... it's

• 4 months later...

Got one night via Priceline and booked the second night on marriott.com as the MR rate was not much higher than the price I paid via Priceline and included breakfast ;-).

The worst thing about the Renaissance Brussels is the location.. it's near the Gare du Luxemburg, one of the smaller train stations of Brussels which connects only with Luxemburg. The next metro station "Troon/trone" is about a 10 minutes walk away. If you want to go to the city center by metro (Bourse or de Brouckere) you even have to switch the metro lines (at Rogier or Gare du Midi) as there are not many of it in Brussels and you literally have to take a metro detour... Walking is do-able, but it takes you at least 25 to 30 minutes to get to the Grand Place. Porte de Namur with quite some shops, restaurants and cinemas is however not so far away, about 15 minutes by walking. There are buses from the gare de Luxembourg too which take you to the city center, but I personally don't like busses and you always have to figure out which one to take and where to leave.

Everything else is fine.. it's just a nice Renaissance Hotel without big surprises (negative or positive). The hotel from outside is nothing spectacular, just a sort of appartement building, six floors tall, and fits well into the neighbourhood. Next to the Renaissance, there are the Marriott executive appartements Brussels. This hotel is apparently mostly attractive to people working for the European Union's office which are not far from it. That's why regular prices for the hotel usually go down distinctly during weekends and in summer outside the session periods of the EU.

Service upon check-in was very friendly, everything was prepared and I was given a letter from the manager (thanking me of staying there blablabla). The room itself was clean, fitted with sort of typical Renaissance furniture (I like these comfy chairs with footrest), desk, small table, quite large Philips TV, minibar with coffee-/tea facilities. There was a safe in the wardrobe and also robes and slippers. The bathroom looked quite new too, no seperate shower cubicle (I don't expect that from a 4star) but large enough and fitted with the usual Renaissance amenities and a hairdryer.

They have a very large fitness area with a 15 m pool (which can be frequented by external people too), but I didn't go there. The breakfast is served between 6am and 11 am (!! I like that as I love to sleep long in the mornings) and offers most of the stuff you expect from a 4star hotel. hot/cold buffet, juices, cornflakes, yoghurts, fruits etc.; the staff took care that it was always filled. The restaurant (where the breakfast was served) was really HUGE, and it was almost FULL on Saturday and Sunday morning, between 10 and 11 am!!! Apparently some bus loads. However we always found a table in the corner, the staff was really fast in cleaning the tables after guests had left.

There is a five star sign outside the building, but well, it's easy in Benelux to get stars for hotels. IMO, it's a nice 4-star hotel, nothing to complain about, except for the location of the hotel.

For photos check out realhotelphotos.com : Renaissance Brussels

• 1 month later...

I stayed at this hotel with a Priceline bid almost exactly a year ago (overlapping the time when they had the once-every-two-years flower carpet on the Grand' Place. I agree with the above assessment, except that I would have to disagree that the busses are in any way complicated. There were, as I recall, five bus lines which took you straight from the hotel to the Grand' Place/Ilot Sacre area, and they are all well-marked. The names of the upcoming bus stops are even displayed. Bus maps are also easy to come by (I believe the concierge had them). In fact, if you have a one-day or three-day, or 5-day pass, I would take the bus to the Trone metro station as well (two stops, and the stops are marked on signs inside the bus). Sure, take the metro if you're going to an outlying sight such as Mini Europe or the Central African Art Museum. But if you're going to the Grand' Place or back, the many busses will get you there in a few minutes. In fact, the Place du Luxembourg is a major bus hub (also with direct connections to the airport). :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]