Priceline Hotel: please help 12/31 - 1/2 NYC

swinslow14
By swinslow14,
in

Please help. Im a first time user, poster and traveller to NYC and I need some suggestions! Im not familliar with the area, but I'm pretty sure Im looking to stay in MTW, MTE, UM/CPS and/or MTS. Pricing and location are my main concerns over the star rating. How do I gst started? what is a good bid?

Yes - Splitting my bid is an option

I dont think i'd like to go lower then a 2.5 *

Question re: location - I am not familiar with the NY city area and were flying into JFK. How terrible would it be to get a hotel over there? Im sure we'll be out till the wee hours on new years - do subways run that late? ... basically my companion wants to save major bucks with location, and I want the great NYC new years experience... is there a happy medium?

...were flying into JFK. How terrible would it be to get a hotel over there?
It depends who you ask, but i wouldn't do it.

The subways run 24/7, and although much better than they used to be, i wouldn't recommend riding late at nite (wee hours of the morning... i have no issues, and encourge subway use as the primary mode of transportation, during daytime and early nite hours) due to safety reasons, especially when traveling outside of Manhattan. However, besides the distance, there's nothing nearby, the hotels (as most airport locations) are usually well-worn with one nite stays, plus there is the issue of getting from the airport back to your hotel (shuttle may not run 24/7).

basically my companion wants to save major bucks with location, and I want the great NYC new years experience... is there a happy medium?
Unless you're speaking in relative terms, you're not going to find any great bargains in NYC for New Years Eve. If you're looking for value you don't come to a location on one of the busiest nites of the year.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's one solution if you're willing to split your stay and stay in Jersey City (access to Manhattan via PATH train):

You can book the first nite 12/31/07 at the Candlewood Suites for $190/nite.

From there, for your second nite, you can book the Hyatt in Jersey City (just down the road from the previous hotel) thru HOTWIRE for ~$125/nite, or bid on priceline for this area, or get a 4* hotel in Manhattan closer to your maximum budget.

Would this work for your plans?

Please use the links above if you move forward before replying, or feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sent you a message.

any luck? I'm in a similar boat and have been watching this posting with interest, so please keep me informed of your priceline progress.

My situation:

I am still firming up plans, so I have yet to start bidding w/ Priceline or booking with Hotwire

I am looking for 2 rooms for the 29th, 1 for the 30th and 1 for the 31st.. I was able to use some hotel pts to book a hotel for the 30th and 31st.. :-)

29th - Jersey city looks to be a good option, don't mind being a little far away.

30th, 31st - really need something close to the action in manhattan, thinking MTW, MTE or closeby.

Thanks!

I took a gander trying piceline for the manhattan area 1st before booking the Candlewood Suites in jersy city ( In my situation location is much more important than star #) and Just as I thought.. no luck at all.

I ended up booking a refundable room at hotel 31 as a back up. It is not offered in Priceline/Hotwire and it has a shared bath. NOT initinally what I wanted at all, but I fuguire on New years in NY I wont be spending much time in my room at all anyway. it has a 4.3-4.5 out of 5 average rating at all the other sites. custormers say GREAT value, location and very clean rooms.

Im still going to continue my priceline bidding incase a miracle occurs. I can cancel my reservations up to a day before for free.. so no harm done. Let me know of your luck. Thank you all for your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]