About Priceline car rentals

Jason's Storm
By Jason's Storm,
in

I am wondering. I am going to rent a midsize at Dulles, in D.C., but I'm going to get in a little late. So I rented a midsize, and they present me a huge gas guzzler, or a car that has been in a minor accident, can I refuse it, and ask for another veichle. Or am I bound to whatever they give me?

~JS

Jason's Storm- Making one killer deal after another. With something other than a machete to the head.

From the ashes of Friday the 13th Forum, rises Friday the 13th: The Community. A new beginning has arrived.

...rented a midsize, and they present me a huge gas guzzler... can I refuse it
I would assume so since it's not what you requested (and i don't think there is anything in the terms for which you agree to be upgraded)... but if that's the only car on remaining on the lot, then it may be easier to take it than to begin looking for a substitute rental through a different company (and at full rates)
or a car that has been in a minor accident
I've never heard of anyone receiving a car that has visible body damage (other than minor door dings, etc, through typical 'wear and tear')

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Okay, you'll hear it from me then. I had an Avis car rental once, from a gas station, and they gave me a car, where it looked like someone ran the back corner of the bumper into something. Because of that, the trunk had a hard time closing. Good thing I had it noted on the contract, because they never charged me for it. I think they gave me that one, because I was ending up at the airport.

~JS

Jason's Storm- Making one killer deal after another. With something other than a machete to the head.

From the ashes of Friday the 13th Forum, rises Friday the 13th: The Community. A new beginning has arrived.

I think unwanted upgrades happen with car rentals fairly often, especially if you've reserved a subcompact or compact. Compact is what I always reserve and I think I get "upgraded" to something larger than a compact about 40% of the time. I've even gotten SUV's and full sized cars when I'd reserved a compact because only larger cars were left. If I get a midsized that's fine. Larger than that I squawk.

When gas prices are high more people reserve small cars. The rental fleets can be stuck with more large cars than they need. Customers who booked compacts directly from Hertz, Avis, etc. get them first. The Priceline and Hotwire customers are more likely to be given something much larger than they asked for.

A year ago I won a compact at KCI via Priceline and the rental company (Hertz) gave me an enormous boat of a car, a Pontiac Bonneville or something. The agent at the Airport said I could come back the next day and trade it if something smaller was available. Instead I drove directly to the nearest Hertz Local and traded it there. The Hertz Local agent groaned and laughed when he saw my car. He said I was the third person to get that exact vehicle at the airport and offload it on him.

I don't think anything in the car rental contracts prohibits unwanted upgrades.

I don't think anything in the car rental contracts prohibits unwanted upgrades.

Agree, but i would think that since the contract is for a stated car class, and the rental company is changing this aspect of the contract, the customer would have the right to refuse and 'walk away' from the contract (although of course this could be complicated when pre-paid thru priceline and HOTWIRE)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've never looked at the contract language but I expect there's something about the company having the right to substitute when the size you reserved isn't available. Anyone know?

I'll add that Alamo is usually the company where I get a compact when I reserve a compact. Not necessarily a good thing since the compact they usually have is a Chevy Cavalier---one of my LEAST favorite cars. I want a Corolla or Ford Focus or Mitsubishi Lancer.

In Raleigh, NC I bid Priceline for a compact and got Alamo. In Raleigh Alamo lets you go out on the lot and select the car you want, within your class. The area with compacts had nothing but Cavaliers....like 20 of them. I got to pick a color anyhow.

I rented from Alamo recently, midsize I beleive, and was given a choice of three colors of a PT cruiser. I took it, and both my wife and I laughed at it. :)

~JS

• 2 weeks later...

You'll find this funny. When I got my car, it was a Chevy HHR :). I got to stop renting mid size veichles :). At first, I was thinking of trading it because I was uncomfortable with it, but then I adjusted some stuff, and it was okay. I might of traded it at a sattilite station, but I would of gotten a crappy car.

~JS

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, don't knock the PT Cruiser. :)

I got one from Hertz at the Memphis Airport through HOTWIRE. My wife and I put on about 700 miles in the next couple of days as we drove to business meetings in MO and MS.

It had decent gas milage, was easy to get stuff in and out of the back, and handled decently at highway speeds.

• 1 month later...

What a terrific thread. :) I'm contemplating my first car bidding ever and this is useful information. I never even thought about them trying to unload a boat of a vehicle on me when I requested a mid-size. :)

Since you guys are obviously in the know, may I run something by you? I don't know if this is the right place so I'm going to assume it probably isn't and I'll apologize in advance.

I'm trying to rent a vehicle for five days in Las Vegas for this time next month. I've scoured all of the websites and the lowest published price I've seen is $17.00 p/day for an intermediate.

Would bidding $10.00 p/day for a compact, picked-up and returned to Las Vegas - Mccarran Intl, NV, be automatically refused? What would you bid for an intermediate car and please keep in mind I've never done this before so I am as new as new can be. Priceline seems easier to use - any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]