Priceline Hotel: Are there any free-rebids for Jersey City?

FOFT
By FOFT,
in

I'm looking for somewhere cheap to stay near New York, ideally 3*.

My first choice would be the Hyatt at Jersey City, hoping for around $35. I'm going to start a bit lower since there have been bids as low as $32. But are there any free re-bids at this price for this region?

FOFT

Have you tried bidding this yet?

You may want to consider starting at $37 since there are no re-bids and you're only a short time before you stay... on the other hand if you're comfortable not having a room until the last minute than by all means start low and work your way up.

The Hyatt has parking for about $25 per day or so (i think) and a self-park in a nearby lot with a validation will get you $18/day. The DoubleTree i think charges $10/day (or that may be to park while you're not in the hotel). Not as convenient but free parking is the Meadowlands area.

If you'd like an actual bidding strategy than just ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare,

Thanks for the offer. I would be interested in what you would recommend as a bidding strategy.

You also mentioned a self-park for $18 at the Hyatt. Is it at the hotel or some place off-site? How safe is the parking? I've heard that car theft is somewhat of a concern.

As an aside, how long does it take to get from Secaucus, Meadowlands, or Jersey City to the NY Passenger Ship Terminal? It will be on a Friday monring, so I'm assuming there will be a fair amount of traffic.

FOFT

BTW, kudos on such an informative website.

Let's just back-track one moment....

What is the purpose of this trip? Is it to travel and see NYC or to spend the nite before a cruise in order to make sure you don't miss the ship. If the latter, what would you like to do during that nite... visit NYC or do something locally?

Where are you coming in from... will you be leaving your car at the port?

Do you yet have a back-up reservation? If so where and at what price.

Sorry for so many questions, but trying to figure out exactly what you'll be doing and needing a room for. This is right in my backyard so i know the area pretty well (and the traffic firsthand :) )

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Mainly to spend the night so as not to miss the cruise. Of course, I'm hoping there will be time to sightsee (preferably in the area, but if there isn't much to do in Jersey City, then in NYC).

Probably will be parking at the Port.

No back-up reservation yet. :)

FOFT

Factoring price and convenience (both to NYC and the port the following day) i would do the following:

Select 3* Jersey City only and bid $37, if rejected start a brand new screen and

Select 3* Meadowlands-Rutherford *only* and bid $42, if rejected add

Jersey City zone and bid $45.

If rejected you can then make the decision to bid for 2.5* and/or 2* in Jersey City OR just wait out the 72 hours.

I will add that the rates for the Hyatt are high for your nite (it's a business hotel so most mid-week nites are more expensive than weekends).

There's not much in the immediate area for either. With Jersey City you have the advantage of being near lots of mass transit into NYC (or Hoboken :) ) both of which have plenty of bars, restaurants, and nightlife.

In the Meadowlands area there's not much nearby except for discount shopping, but there is fairly frequent bus service into NYC (short trip) or you can take your car into Hoboken for dinner (although parking is not easy and can be downright bad depending upon the time of day). Thursday nite shouldn't be too bad... but we're getting ahead of ourselves and if we reach that point i can recommend some restaurants that will include or discount parking. This area will also be a quick trip to get on the NJ Turnpike to get to the pier the following day. This area also does NOT charge for parking.

The above is the method i would follow and if i had to guess i think the Crowne Plaza is a strong possibility, but that's only if you asked me what i thought you might get. Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding the above.

My bad, i was looking at something else which had this as one zone....

Re-adjusted strategy

3* Jersey City $37 *only*

3* Meadowlands $40 *only*

3* Jersey City and Meadowlands $42

3* Secaucus $40 *only*

3* Secaucus and Meadowlands $45

If unsuccessful with the above still leaves you one additional bid with all 3 zones, but you can cross that bridge (and price consideration) if/when we get there. I favor the Meadowlands area solo because the Sheraton Meadowlands there is a great value if you get it.

2.5* in Jersey City may cost you $50 while in the Secaucus Meadowlands area maybe mid-30's (as a guess).

Okay... driving directions to follow. The self park at the Jersey City Waterfront Hyatt is safe for both you and your car. You wont' find anything cheaper or closer in the area for parking so just go ahead and park there. It's really just a short city block from the garage to the hotel.

For getting to the Passenger Ship Terminal, I suggest driving up to Port Arthur in Weehawken and parking your car there for the long term parking while you're on the cruise - it's outdoors and about $10 per day but again, it is safe - have never heard of problems there - it's highly visible, well monitored and the ferry ride over to the city is quick. I think the ferry will drop you further down than the Passenger Ship Terminal but they might even have a ferry that goes there. If not, there should be a free NY Waterways shuttle bus to get you up there.

To get from the Jersey City Hyatt to the Port Arthur Ferry terminal is all done on local streets, more or less just heading north parallel to the river through Hoboken and up towards the Lincoln Tunnel entrance. Shouldn't be much a of a traffic hassle in the morning as the tunnel traffic splits off towards the left just north of Hoboken but you'll stay to the right in the "through lane". Just past where you can see the tunnel entrance turn right to get on River Road and the ferry terminal is a few hundred yards down. The hotel can advise you of the best route.

If you stay in the Meadowlands - Secaucus area you may find the Rte 3 / Rte 495 Lincoln Tunnel approach backed way up in the morning. The trick is to take the North Bergen exit, turn right at the end of that ramp and then follow the Union Turnpike signs. You'll cross Rtes 1 & 9and begin heading up a hill in Union City - this is the back way to reach the Weehawken ferry terminal. It's easier than it sounds and way faster than Rte 495/3 approach. I'm in Syracuse myself but lived down there until recently - PM me for my phone number and I'll explain that route to you over the phone if you need the directions.

Syracuse to Newark: this is a no brainer - I've tried every possible route and after making this trip about 200 times in the past five years, can assure you that Rte 81 South to Scranton and Rt 380 South from there to Rte 80 East is the fastest route.

Continue on Rte 80 about 8 miles past the Rte 280 split and take Rte 46 East (exit 52 - Clifton/Lincoln Tunnel). Follow that for five miles and stay in the right lane going up the long hill - it then splits into Rte 3 and Rte 46 - stay to the right on Rte 3. If you're going to Newark itself (downtown Newark) you could just take Rte 280 instead of Rte 3 but I prefer staying on Rte 3. About five miles after you get on Rte 3 look for the Rte 21 South - Newark signs. This is the McCarter Highway. Takes you straight to downtown, ending up behind the NJPAC space.

If you're going to Jersey City straight from Syracuse you should get on Rte 280 at the split but it gets a bit trickier after that - you'll stay on rte 280 following signs for the NJ Turnpike Extension but just before 280 hits the extension, you get off and head towards Jersey City - just follow the Holland Tunnel signs.

Thanks to the both of you for the great advice.

I think I'm going to suck it up and just park at the NY Passenger Ship Terminal itself. That way I don't have to worry about lugging my bags and luggage around. Its a little more expensive, but I'm hoping it will cause me less of a headache.

Once I get my hotel booked, can I ask for the best way to get to the NY Port?

Oh, and how long does it take you on average for the Syracuse to Newark route you outlined?

Thereuare: I tried bidding with part of your strategy. I figured since I have a week to go, I'll inch up a little more slowly. But at last bid, I got rejected at $41 for Jersey City+Secaucus+Meadowlands.

I don't necessarily recommend waiting until the last minute... especially without a back-up reservation.

You are of course free to bid as you wish, but sometimes the risk of paying an extra $2-3 isn't worth the alternative of getting 'shut-out' and then having to pay $50-$75 more thru traditional methods.

Two weeks ago i won the Jersey City Hyatt for tomorrow nite... that hotel is currently sold-out for my date!

That thought did cross my mind, but we'll be checking in early and if i'm walked i'll just walk back home. :)

This is purely a leisure stay just to try out the local Hyatt that i've heard so much about. Also figured since it's such a popular hotel on the board it would be good for me to have some first-hand knowledge of the place.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]