Priceline Hotel: 4* Charlotte (Downtown) Omni

weiser701
By weiser701,
in

Hey all, so is anybody still around?

Anyway, I wanted to post my results and see if someone here that is familiar with identifying hotels at Hotwire might be able to confirm my conclusions.

Currently, Hotwire is showing a 4* hotel in downtown/uptown Charlotte, NC for $74 and lists the amenities: Pools, restaurants, business center, high-speed internet. It also shows a 3.5 rating from TripAdvisor with 40+ reviews. Upon checking TripAdvisor, I've currently found only one hotel with very similar criteria - the Omni. It has a user rating of 3.5 and 58 total reviews (I haven't yet found another 4* in that area with 40+ reviews). They also rate it as a 4*. Hotwire happens to list the Omni as one of the few examples of 4* hotels they're partnered with. Also, I've found a fair amount of reviews at TripAdvisor that claim they booked through Hotwire with a price around $70. And doing a hotel/car rental and hotel/airfare package I only come up with a few 4* results and none of those meet the 3.5 rating/40+ review criteria at TripAdvisor.

So do you guys think this could be a fairly certain bet I'm getting the Omni with this purchase? I don't think there are too many other 4* options in downtown/uptown Charlotte. This is kind of fun.

Thanks!

I haven't yet found another 4* in that area with 40+ reviews

The Omni is a good guess, but the Westin meets this criteria as well, so i woudln't consider the Omni a "lay up" and wouldn't rule out the Westin.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'll add that the Omin was recently won on priceline as per this Priceline Charlotte thread... search on HOTWIRE for those dates and you get the same 4* hotel you're seeing above... adding more weight that the above is likely the Omni.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks!

I actually forgot to search for the Westin on TripAdvisor and ended up doing so after my original post. I discovered the same thing you did - it displays similar criteria as well. Thanks for pointing that out in case I missed it. However, since I'm seeing so many Omni bookings through Hotwire in TripAdvisor reviews, and being that december is slow for them due to the nature of their customers, it still looks like they are likely the hotel currently being offered for that price. But I'll take the Westin as well. Assuming I can get a room with a good location, it would be a heck of a deal. Both hotels average around $200+

I think I'll probably book it tomorrow (nevermind Priceline)... through the HOTWIRE link you provided above of course :)

Not off topic: I hope you're healing after that rocky start to the Michigan football season, haha. It's all good.... Michigan has had plenty of success over the years. They're still definitely not heading downhill or anything like that. The fans gotta get a bad season once in a while. Heck, I've experienced enough with my team (and my school), WSU, and I'm not too thrilled about this year either.

• 1 month later...

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread... if you ultimately use priceline we'll then move this entire thread to that section of the board.

Based upon your Priceline Experience thread, have you decided to use Priceline or currently just considering it? If you're ready to bid, what is your maximum bid for this trip?

I think I've decided to try Priceline mainly just for the sake of trying it. I've never used it before and figured this would be a good time to give it a shot - something new. However, I'll likely not bid more than what Hotwire currently offers for a 4* hotel in downtown Charlotte, which is around $74-79. I probably have a slim shot of getting something lower, huh? But it doesn't hurt to try. I was just curious of any techniques I might want to use (timeframe, starting bid, etc) if there are any at all. Thanks

At the 4* level you have 11 re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

You need to do whatever it is that you're comfortable with, but keep in mind that while you're continuing to try, the HOTWIRE price that you're using as your 'back-up' could disappear.

If you're not going to use your re-bid zones i'd bid next at $50 and increase $5 every 24 hours... although personally i would recommend asking questions so that you're comfortable with re-bidding, confirm your re-bid zones with the board, and utilize the strategy previously provided. Since you're doing this to 'learn something new', might as well learn the right way to do it from the start, so that in the future when you need to book a trip at the last minute, you'll already have a firm understanding of how to use your re-bid zones to increase your chances of getting a great deal.

Actually, I guess I'm pretty comfortable with it. But I just don't want any screwups on Priceline's side (e.g. somehow there turns out to be a 4* in a zone that wasn't originally advertised when I bid - then it's hard to argue since I have to explain I was trying to work around the 24hr wait). I don't know... I suppose I can give it a try. Let me just get a confirmation on how it works, with an actual scenario from the hotels I want:

I originally select the Downtown zone and bid $47 on a 4* hotel. I'm declined. Then I ADD the Executive Park zone because it's displayed as only containing 3* hotels and below (it doesn't allow me to select the 4-Star Deluxe option). Then bid again for a 4* hotel? Is it that simple? I know you can't guarantee anything, but should I experience ANY mishaps with this process, assuming I do it right? I don't see how I could. Priceline says they don't offer 4* hotels in the Executive Park zone so under no cirumstance should I end up being charged outside of the Downtown zone if I only want a 4* in either Downtown or Executive Park.

Sorry for the redundant and longwinded response. I just don't want to have to deal with Priceline customer support AT ALL. From what it sounds like, it's not an experience I want to have, haha.

Yes, you have it correct... as long as you only add zones which only contain star levels less than the one you're bidding. The biggest 'mistake' that some make is using the hotel lists to determine their re-bid zones, but it sounds like you have it correct, clicking the Priceline zones one at a time and seeing what star levels are offered. Also, if you check your re-bid zones this morning and try to bid later tonite... doublecheck your re-bid zones again, as hotels are upgarded/downgraded, added/removed, all the time. (ie- always doublecheck just before starting a bidding cycle)

Again, only bid with what you are comfortable with, but i wouldn't want to see the HOTWIRE offer disappear while you continued to stretch out your bidding over days/weeks when you could be finished in the matter of one day.

Not to confuse you as it doesn't apply to this situation, but if you're ever bidding 2.5*, you CAN'T add a zone doesn't have 2.5* properties but DOES have 3* and higher properties, since the star rating you select is the minimum you're willing to accept... and priceline could upgrade you to a 3* hotel (or 4* hotel) on your 2.5* bid. Hope this makes sense and doesn't confuse you at all.

Any questions feel free to ask... good luck and let us know how it goes.

Your Price Was Accepted

Congratulations, you got your price of $69 for a 4-star hotel room.

Omni Charlotte Hotel

Bid $47 Downtown - rejected

Bid $50 ... Added Univeristy Area - rejected

Bid $53 ... Added Executive Park - rejected

Bid $55 ... Added Airport - rejected

Bid $58 ... Added South Park - rejected

Bid $60 ... Added Matthews - rejected

Bid $63 ... Added Northlake - rejected

Bid $65 ... Added Pineville - rejected

Bid $67 ... Added Rock Hill - rejected

Bid $69 ... Added Fort Mill - accepted

It's funny. I had a feeling $69 was going to be the magic price. Mostly because I had a very strong inkling I was getting the Omni (per my research on Hotwire and TripAdvisor).

Current total package price for Omni Charlotte Hotel 12/13/07 thru 12/17/07

$329 Priceline - winning bid

$1100 Priceline - (no bid) 70% savings!

$986 Omni Charlotte Hotel website - 66% savings!

$395 Hotwire (price for 4* hotel in Downtown/Uptown Charlotte - likely Omni) - 17% savings

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]