Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Secaucus-North Bergen) Hyatt Place Secaucus

oopz
By oopz,
in

I am trying to book a hotel using hotwire in Secaucus NJ area for Dec 2nd - Dec 9th.

Hotwire gives me a 2 star hotel for $64 per night with just a Laundry Icon showing and nothing else.

They say its in the Secaucus - Meadowlands area.

I am just wondering if anyone has any idea what hotel this might be?

I do not know the area at all as I am from Nebraska.

There is also a 3 star hotel located in the Fortlee/hackensack area for $59 per night.

The icons it shows are Fitness area, pool, restaurant and Internet.

From the map I was looking at there did not seem to be a huge distance between these to area's but I am looking for info as to

which area might be a better stay for convience to getting to the NYC area for our vacation trip.

thank you.

Yes I am planning on having a car. I can get one off hotwire for 19.99 a day from the EWR airport.

there are just 2 people in our party. My friend will need easy access daily to NYC for work. From what i've heard

secaucus has some malls that should keep me busy during the day so I won't need to try

and head into NYC all by myself. With trying to keep my hotel in the budget of $60-$65 a night this seems like a pretty

good deal but if anyone has info/suggestions I would gladly take it. Would I maybe be able to get a better deal with

the bidding option on priceline?

thanks for help. :)

Besides the Extended StayAmerica properties, the 2* could also be a Homestead (another extended stay type of property), or also the Howard Johnson which has been reported as a 2* property with just a Laundry icon.

The Secaucus zone will have you closer to Manhattan, and an easier commute, than a hotel in Saddle Brook. However, assuming the above is the Saddle Brook Radisson, it is very close to the Garden State Plaza which is a very large mall in the, however, this is a 'typical' mall with stores that are found throughout the area. The 'mall' in Secaucus isn't really a mall, but rather an large area with stores spread throughout... you'll need a car to cover the stores in the area as they're more like 'clusters' of stores, and while you can walk from store to store in a 'cluster', you'll need a car to go from cluster to cluster. While this sounds like convenient, the stores here are more of an outlet type and you can often get some very good deals (although it can be "hit or miss").

However, with the above noted, i would encourage to head into NYC, even if by yourself, as there is so much more to see and do. I'd hate for you to go back home with stories to tell of the "Nautica Outlet" when you could be builidng memories to last a lifetime in the city.

None of these hotels would be on the top of my list of favorite hotels in the area, but there isn't much in the mid-$60's this time of year either.

You could try priceline to try to beat either of the above, but then you're subject to a hotel anywhere in the zone and aren't able to take an educated guess as to the property you'll receive.

If you go with the above, please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Any idea how more likely it might be one of the first 2 that you listed? I looked at some of the Howard Johnson in Clifton reviews and it doesn't sound like a very clean

place. I would be happy getting either of the first 2 extended stay places, just a lil worried about getting the HJ. I'm not picky about other amenities or "fancy" stuff. Do Priceline and Hotwire do the same star rating? Priceline lists the Howard Johnson hotels as 1* hotels and not 2* hotels.

I do plan on going into NYC so I will have more stories to tell other than Secaucus =)

thank you again for your help.

Each company uses their own star rating system and criteria, so it is not uncommon for priceline and HOTWIRE to have different a rating for the same property.

There is no way to differentiate between the Extended Stay properties and the HoJo. You could search HOTWIRE for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then for the balance and see if this same hotel is offered... if so you could buy the one nite to 'look behind the curtain' and then if happy with the outcome purchase the balance of your stay. However, since all the hotels mentioned are believed to just show a Laundry icon, it is possible that you could end up purchasing two different hotels, but i would think the chances of this are low (but possible)

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make. If you choose to split the purchase as described above, please use our HOTWIRE link for each purchase (ie- click our link and make the one nite purchase, if you decide to purchase the balance, return here and click our HOTWIRE link again to begin the second purchase)

Alternately, if the HoJo is 1* rated on Priceline, you could try bidding for this stay at the 2* level... although you then would be subject to any 2* hotel in the zone, but at least it would allow you to avoid the HoJo.

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thank you again for your help.

I actually went to the Howard Johnson site that the list above says it might be in Clifton and its $65-$75 a night booking it right from there. Hotwire has it listed as a "best value" option as a 2* for $63 a night. I guess my opinion tells me that it would prob not be the Howard Johnson since its just a few $$'s difference from booking it through the actual hotel and hotwire.

I really want to get one of the extended stay hotels so maybe I will go with your suggestion and try through priceline and see what I can come up with....and I know

its not guaranteed what I will get there either. From the actual Extended hotel websites its around $95 (plus fees/taxes) a night for a 1 week stay...I tried 3 different ones. One in Secaucus, one in Rutherford and 1 in E Rutheford.

Would it be beneficial since its about 5 weeks away to wait or do think it would make any difference?

...it would prob not be the Howard Johnson since its just a few $$'s difference from booking it through the actual hotel and hotwire.
Not necessarily the case.
Would it be beneficial since its about 5 weeks away to wait or do think it would make any difference?
Give your budget and the time of year i would begin bidding now, but you should see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Let us know when you're ready to bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Hotwire gives me a 2 star hotel for $64 per night with just a Laundry Icon showing and nothing else.

FYI, many of the extended stay properties only provide one queen bed, but for a one week stay, they are great as they offer a 'frig, microwave and two burner stove. Also, you will need your car to drop off your friend at the Bus Stop or Train Station as you can't be guaranteed to get a property within walking distance to public transportation into the city.

I do want to try and get one of the extended stay hotels. I think it would be most convienent for us.

I have never bid on priceline before so any help would be appreciated. I saw on the priceline page that someone got what I wanted for $65 a night.....which would be perfect.

Any help/suggestions in trying to get the same thing?

thank you.

Hi, I think I was the one making the $65 bid you were referring to.

When I bid, I checked HOTWIRE before and there was a 2* for $79 in Secaucus-Meadowlands with just a laundry amenity. I took a guess that this might be the extended stay in rutherford meadowlands. Tried 2* in Rutherford-Meadowlands area at $65 and got it on the first bid. This sounds like the same property you see on HOTWIRE for your stay. However, as the others have said it could just as likely be HoJo.

All this said, remember that by bidding through Priceline -like HOTWIRE - you are not guaranteed a certain hotel. If you are absolutely sure you want this hotel and only this hotel, then Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" might not be the best way to book.

Any help/suggestions in trying to get the same thing?

As son of pezcore of mentions above, we can't help you get the same thing, as that can't be guaranteed, but we can help you get a 2* hotel in this area.

If you will only be happy with a specific hotel you may want to book direct to ensure the hotel you want.

I just got done bidding on priceline and I got myself a hotel for 12/2 - 12/9

I bid $75 for a 3* in the secaucus/North Bergen and got rejected and then bid again and went to a 2 1/2* with $75.

I ended up getting...

Hyatt Place Secaucus

Secaucus - North Bergen

575 Park Plaza Drive

Secaucus, New Jersey 07094

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $75.00

Subtotal: $525.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $94.94

Total Charges*: $619.94

well done! The Hyatt Place has just finished a major re-hab top to bottom with flat panel TV's and a comfy living area; free parking, free wifi and free breakfast along with the NJ Transit bus into NYC just steps away makes this the next best thing to being in Jersey City.

• 2 weeks later...

It is nice, and REALLY convenient to Manhattan. I stay in the hotels in the Harmon Meadows area every couple of weeks. The 320 bus will take you directly into the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan ($3.15 one way, no exact change necessary on the way in, but for the return trip, you need to stop at one of the ticket machines in Port Authority to get your ticket.) Port Authority is at 42nd St. and 8th Ave. Just walk east on 42nd St. to 6th Ave. and turn north (left) to get to Rockefeller Center, which is at 6th Ave. between 47th and 50th. The skating rink, the tree and the Today show studios are between 6th Ave. and 5th Ave. You'll see them..

To get from there to Chinatown, take the 6th Ave. subway (B or D trains) to Grand Street. Tip: Don't buy individual tickets for each subway ride. Buy a $10 card at the Metro Card vending machines. It gives you 6 rides for the price of 5.

One other tip. If you're going to the theater, its much less hassle to buy discount theater tickets at www.broadwaybox.com. No standing in line, and you can see what seats you're getting. Discounts are typically in the 40% range rather than the 50% at the TKTS booth, but saving time and hassle is well worth the few extra bucks. Hopefully the stage hands strike will be over by the time you come. If not, there are a lot of good Off Broadway shows to see.

Have a great trip.

thanks for the tips.

I am flying into LGA and am renting a car. I printed out directions from Mapquest to get to the hotel in Secaucus and it takes me straight driving into Manhattan and through it. Is there a better/easier way to go to get to Secaucus from LGA? I don't have much experience driving in heavy traffic like I've been told there is. I'm not as concerned with "the quickest way"....much more the easiest and least traffic way.

What time will you arrive? Since its a Sunday, driving through Midtown Manhattan is really not too bad and (I believe) it should be easier to park in Manhattan on a Sunday. You could take the Grand Central Parkway to the Triborough Bridge, north on the Major Deegan (I-87), follow signs to the George Washington Bridge & Rt. 95 South, Stay on 95 South and it turns into the NJ Turnpike South, take exit 17. Get on Harmon Meadow Blvd. and take this into the Harmon Meadow complex where the Hyatt is located. If you made it this far, stop at the Bonefish Grill and have a libation as your reward! This route is kind of "up and over" so you won't have to drive through Manhattan. Good Luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]