Priceline Hotel: 1* bidding in Victoria

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

I've posted before about one of my favorite 1* hotels in Victoria - Paul's Motor Inn. I've tried various dates on Priceline for May and have not succeeded, even in the mid-high $20s. But on Expedia, Paul's is offering a rate of $30.26/night (US) + taxes/fees. Note that this is a prepaid rate. Apart from that, there are also some cheap cancellable corporate rates on their web site - http://www.paulsmotorinn.com .

In my opinion this is a perfectly serviceable basic option, albeit with dated decor and not the most scenic neighborhood. But for the price, as my daughter says, "Paul's is a pearl." Given that Priceline's 3* Red Lion Inn has a more remote neighborhood and worse reviews, I can't see the point of paying more for a higher-star Priceline bid short of a 4* anyway (although I'm still considering Hotwire).

Of course you can book through SavingsBarn.com for Expedia to help the board just as with Priceline, Hotwire, and other online sites.

Well, the price is certainly right at Paul's -- maybe "too right" though! I'm contemplating my first trip to Vancouver Island this summer. When I go to Canada, I usually rent a cottage for a week, and that seems possible on Vancover Island. I generally like to stay in quiet, scenic locations. On the other hand, it does seem like I'd want to spend some time in Victoria. I wonder if there's any place NEAR Victoria that would fit this bill, or whether I'd need to move around a bit. Any insider travel tips would be appreciated.

For a cottage, I would suggest taking a look at the Gulf Islands: Saltspring, Galiano, Mayne and some others. These are great for getting a cottage and relaxing. These are a ferry ride away from Victoria (I think about 1 hour or less). Of these, Saltspring has a fair-sized town on it which is fun to look around in. On Saltspring my daughter and I stayed in a tepee - although that was interesting we haven't gone to repeat it, and I think that experience probably made her more of a diehard hotel stayer. There is also a treehouse option on Saltspring which might have been interesting.

On Vancouver Island itself I am sure there are many places to rent a cottage that are within an hour or so driving distance from Victoria. Maybe the Lake Cowichan area would be good. http://www.town.lakecowichan.bc.ca/

Maybe Scorp can give some ideas. Wherever you stay, I would suggest visiting Oak Bay and Willows Beach near Victoria. Those are quite lovely.

Thanks WillTravel for the Paul's Motor Inn suggestion. I grew up in Victoria, live in CA now, but head up there quite a bit. As I stated in another post 6 months ago, Victoria is a tough market to get great value on PL. There is only one "area" (hence, no tricky re-bidding possible), the 4* is the empress (tried $39 - got rejected), and the 3* hotels include the Red Lion which IMHO is not a 3* and it's also way up Douglas St. (tried $29 - got rejected). The new Marriott is open downtown, but it's probably a 3* so you'll run the risk of getting the Red Lion on PL.

Just needed a place to close my eyes for 6 hours. Got a room for about $45 US total on www.Expedia.com (can't beat that in Vic May-Aug), i think. It worked for me, but no way would it work for my high maintenance wife. :) Any other city in America I would be frightened to stay there, but not in Victoria. Unfortunately, some drunk yahoo was yelling at 2am waking everyone.

Got there at midnight, left at 7am. Worked for me as a male travelling alone.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]