Priceline Hotel: Help with locating a hotel near Chicago

Newbie2007
By Newbie2007,
in

Hi, I will be passing by Chicago 10/22-10/24. Do you guys have tips for getting good accomodation close to the tourist area. I don't want to spend more than $50/night. I know I can't expect anything near the Loop or Downtown. Is there anywhere in the northern suburb where I can I get a good rate and be close to the CTA (within walking distance). Also, hopefully there's an area where it's safe to walk to the station at night since I plan on attending the Chicago Orchestra. As for star rating, I hope to get at least 2.5. Thanks for the help.

I know now to use the SavingBarn.com when I do my next bidding.

Thank you Aaron for the quick reply. I'm actually going on a roadtrip, so I'll be driving to Chicago from St. Louis. I just booked a 3* hotel in St. Louis. I'm thinking I'll arrive at Chicago (10/22 Monday morning). I heard the downtown is quite dead on the weekend. If I can somehow find a good deal in Chicago, I can make it there on Sunday 10/21 afternoon. Since I'm going solo, I actually booked 2 nights at a hostel on Congress St. in the loop (that comes out to almost $40/night + $20 parking). But I can cancel that without penalty (as long as it's at least 24 hour). After stumbling on this website, I was amazed at what some people were able to find. I thought if there's anyone here that might have better suggestion than staying in a hostel. If there's nothing else out there, I don't mind staying in the hostel. The main thing I'm concerned with is safety.

I will likely spend most of my time in the downtown visiting the museums (which a lot happen to be free on Monday and Tuesday!).

I will also want to attend the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at night.

I have a few questions:

Is the loop area safe for walking around at night (the symphony ends at 10:00 p.m.)?

Is the CTA safe to ride at night?

Since downtown at that price range is out of the question, what's a good suburb that I can stay and take public transportation to downtown?

Thank you for your help.

<<Thank you Aaron for the quick reply. I'm actually going on a roadtrip, so I'll be driving to Chicago from St. Louis. I just booked a 3* hotel in St. Louis. I'm thinking I'll arrive at Chicago (10/22 Monday morning). I heard the downtown is quite dead on the weekend. If I can somehow find a good deal in Chicago, I can make it there on Sunday 10/21 afternoon. Since I'm going solo, I actually booked 2 nights at a hostel on Congress St. in the loop (that comes out to almost $40/night + $20 parking). But I can cancel that without penalty (as long as it's at least 24 hour). After stumbling on this website, I was amazed at what some people were able to find. I thought if there's anyone here that might have better suggestion than staying in a hostel. If there's nothing else out there, I don't mind staying in the hostel. The main thing I'm concerned with is safety.

I will likely spend most of my time in the downtown visiting the museums (which a lot happen to be free on Monday and Tuesday!).

I will also want to attend the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at night.

I have a few questions:

Is the loop area safe for walking around at night (the symphony ends at 10:00 p.m.)?

Is the CTA safe to ride at night?

Since downtown at that price range is out of the question, what's a good suburb that I can stay and take public transportation to downtown?

Thank you for your help. >>

The Loop area is safe to walk around at night, but it is often very (sometimes VERY) quiet. Just keep your senses about you. It is a little off-putting to feel like you are the only one around in the middle of the city. I've had nights downtown that were almost a tad eerie. The River North/North Michigan Ave. area North of the river, on the other hand, has more going on. It's just the Loop that's very quiet.

The CTA is safe at night, but you could also take Metra (which is nicer and does have conductors.) However, if you do take Metra, you may have to figure out a way to get from the nearest Metra station to your hotel.

My favorite suburban area to recommend is the North suburbs (Northbrook, Deerfield, Glenview), as these are very nice areas with some sights of their own (the Chicago Botanic Garden in the nearby burb of Glencoe.) Metra trains also run nearby.

However, given the fact that you're coming from STL, it wouldn't be the best suggestion, as it would be a further trip in. I'd instead suggest Oak Brook/Downers Grove/Naperville, which are very nice SW burbs that would be on the way in. Naperville is a bit further than Downers Grove/Oak Brook.

I'd actually recommend trying to bid 3* first if you do try to bid on these areas.

If you are looking for something to do out that way, the large Brookfield Zoo is 6 miles from Oak Brook.

If you stay in Oak Brook/Downers Grove/Naperville/Deerfield/Northbrook/Glenview, you would then be taking the Metra trains back-and-forth, as the CTA does not run to those areas. Actually a good thing, as the Metra trains are much nicer.

Metra: Metrarail.com

If you stay in any of these areas, you could drive to the nearest Metra station, park and ride. It would be anywhere from a 40-55 minute trip downtown, depending on where you stayed.

It's me again. After looking through a lot of previous post, I've seen some were even successful in getting a 4* hotel in the Loop at $60. Assuming I can get that, is there any other parking option (other than the one by the hotel). I noticed the Hyatt Regency (which someone posted as getting for $60) charged $45 a night for parking. Is there any other parking garage that I can try to save money? If that's possible, I would consider spending a little bit more and going that route.

Thanks.

I've seen some were even successful in getting a 4* hotel in the Loop at $60. Assuming I can get that...

Rates are date specific, i'd be very surprised if you were successful at $60 for this stay... there are many wins where it has taken $100+ to have a bid accepted.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you were looking for Jan/Feb (and maybe March) $60 would be a possibility (the Hyatt was sometimes had for in the 40's during January of last year). Not in the rest of the year. As thereuare mentioned, rates are date specific and all other times of the year, you're looking at $80 to as much as over $200 for a 4* downtown. For these dates, you would probably need over $100 and possibly well over that.

It was my mistake for not paying more attention to the date in regards to hotel in Chicago for low price. I have another question, suppose I stay in Downer Grove and go to a local park and ride on the metra train, how late can I get back on the station and still be relatively safe? I realize I would probably lose 2 hour a day just getting to/from Chicago. I would hate to be the only person on the train getting back to an empty park and ride station at night. My hostel reservation is easily cancellable and I notice some lower price (lower than hostel) for 2* hotel in Downer Grove. Of course, the advantage of the hostel is that it's so close to everything (Congress & State) in downtown.

The last trains out to the different suburban areas are generally around midnight-12:30am. After that, no trains until the morning.

The SW burbs (Downers Grove/Naperville/Oak Brook) are nice and safe, as are the NW burbs (Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village.)

There will be people on the last train, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable on a Metra train at 12:30AM than a CTA train at 12:30am.

I have no where near the experience of Aaron in Chicago. My take on things is that of a lost tourist. We've made 3 trips to Chicago since March. Twice we stayed on or near Michigan Ave. (Hyatt on Wacker via Priceline $45 and Mich. Ave. Marriott web special $179) and once at a large chain conference hotel ($52 Priceline) that was not too far from OHare.

After having to commute from the chain conference hotel, that I can't for the life of me remember the name of, I would try to skip the commute, budget permitting. The CTA station was visible from the hotel and was a well lit, easy walk . It felt like the CTA station was in the middle of the highway if that helps identify the hotel that I think was either a Sheraton or a Hilton. We never felt unsafe on the CTA. We took the CTA to and from the Loop after seeing Wicked so I'm guessing 11 till midnight was the latest we were out. The trains were never empty.

Based on my commuting experience in Chicago I would choose staying closer to the attractions or City Center if that was where I was spending my time. I found the 45 minute to an hour commute each way simply took too much time out of our day. Trying to get downtown in the morning the trains were frequent but mobbed, and it was hard to get assistance and easy to get turned around. The other thing to consider is the expense of the commute. Make sure you get a CTA visitor's pass because everytime you get on or off a bus or train you pay. The Visitor's Pass paid for itself within one morning. Chicago is also the only place I've been where I considered cabs within downtown to be an affordable option.

Not being from the area I have no idea what station this was, but leaving your car at a well lit busy Park in Ride may be an option. A friend came by CTA train to our hotel and spent the night. Rather than drive into the city and pay for parking she left her car at a Park and Ride used by a lot of airport commuters and workers because the lot was active pretty much 24 hours. The car survived the experience and the price was right.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]