Hotwire Hotel: 4* North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast $139

globetrotterjunky
By globetrotterjunky,
in

I was looking at Hotwire to book a good hotel on or very near North Michigan Avenue in Chicago between the 1st - 6th Nov.

There was a 4-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast listed with the following info:-

$139 a night (saving $152, 52% savings)

Hotel Amenities

Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

Current Hotwire rating is 4.3 out 5

I did think it may be the Westin but now I'm not so sure.

Here is a comment from a Hotwire customer:-

Travel Date: May 2007

Length of stay: 2 days Customer rating: 1.0

Room quality: "faded glory-bathroom left muc to be desired"

Current TripAdvisor rating is 4.0 out 5

$139 seems a little high compared to the other BetterBidding listings for North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast, is it better to book at certain times of the day? Would the price vary? Or better to wait closer to the check-in date (1st Nov) to get a better price and hotel?

Would using Priceline would be a better option to get a good room in a great hotel or is that a bit hit and miss too?

Any response would be appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The above is a match for the Westin, The Drake, and the Ambassador East... best guess on the customer comments is that you're probably seeing the Drake, and that would be our best guess (although i wouldn't rule out the other two)

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

With HOTWIRE you can take an educated guess at what hotel you're being offered, with Priceline, it's usually a little cheaper but you can't target (or avoid) any hotels and are subject to any hotel in the zone at the minimum star level that you bid.

So which service you use depends upon what is most important to you.

Let us know your thoughts and/or how it goes, or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This would likely be the Drake, given the 4/5 tripadvisor rating, which none of the other ones have (the other two are 3.5/5 and have been for quite a while.)

$139 really doesn't seem very high at all, given that the Drake is $269 regular price for these dates.

You have to realize that hotel prices are date specific, so you cannot compare what other people have gotten on Hotwire and Priceline for other dates. For your particular dates, I would say nearly half off is very good. Keep in mind, additionally, that Chicago hotel prices are very high - they are probably only second to New York City in terms of expense. When you are mentioning a room at what is potentially the Drake for $139, keep in mind when reading reviews that it's very common for those same rooms to go for $250-300 and above.

If the Hotwire listing is the Drake, it is a grand, historic, elegant, old-world hotel. Rooms may be a bit smaller than the more modern hotels and a few things may be a little worn, but it's very well-located, has gorgeous public areas and nice rooms.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]