The Bottled Water Scam

pirate
By pirate,
in

It surely is a scam that they charge you for water you don't use. Especially if they charge you if you use it or not. You would think they wouldn't charge you if you didn't break the seal, because you are actually saving them money. BTW what chain of hotels is this at?

~JS

Jason's Storm- Making one killer deal after another. With something other than a machete to the head.

From the ashes of Friday the 13th Forum, rises Friday the 13th: The Community. A new beginning has arrived.

Yes, I'm curious too to know what exact hotel you were at where it happened. I had plenty of hotel stays this summer and I have yet to have an issue like that come up. I actually think customer service has improved this year as many of the long check in lines have disappeared, and the quality of the hotels and service staffs has been noticeably improved. Or maybe I've just been incredibly lucky???

It's worse than not noticing it on your bill... Keep in mind that the housekeeper / mini-bar attendant has probably NOT checked your room from the last night of your stay until after you check out. So the charge for that bottle of water could very well be added to your credit card after you receive the "final" bill.

There are many innocent reasons the charge might be there. Maybe you moved the water and the attendant didn't notice it in its new location. Maybe you had a new housekeeper who put the water in the wrong location (or put no water at all) and the attendant didn't know. Maybe your door wasn't closed firmly when you left to check out and someone walking down the hall helped himself to your water! (...which is yet another reason why you should always make sure your door is firmly closed and locked when you leave...)

The bigger point here: It's probably less a scam by the personnel on the front lines and more a "service" designed to encourage mistakes to occur, in favor of the hotel. It's something of a scam-by-design.

And it's just as annoying to the desk clerks who have to remove all those charges...

I know I am going to sound like an old fogey but I still can't believe we pay for water these days. Like candy in the mini bar, the water on the nightstand always looks dusty and old.

To Hotel Management: Provide it for free or forget about it. Charging for water is not appreciated by anyone in any way. Just put it in your vending machines and be done with it already.

My hubby and I were in NY this summer. As is our custom, we purchased some groceries locally to eat in our room. Upon check out we saw mini bar charges for items we did not eat. We were told the charges are registered remotely. There are sensors in the refrigerator that detail when something has been removed. We explained we had moved their stuff to make room for ours. The charges were removed, but I had never heard of a system like that before.

My hubby and I were in NY this summer. As is our custom, we purchased some groceries locally to eat in our room. Upon check out we saw mini bar charges for items we did not eat. We were told the charges are registered remotely. There are sensors in the refrigerator that detail when something has been removed. We explained we had moved their stuff to make room for ours. The charges were removed, but I had never heard of a system like that before.

They are becoming quite common. Usually on top of the minibar you will see a small sign that says charges are automatic.

Tonight I am at the InterContinental Hotel in Tampa. The mini bar price list says: Please note that the automatic mini bar is fully computerized and items will be charged to your room account as they are removed. It is not recommended to place personal items in the mini bar.

If you should require your mini bar to be emptied there will be a $45.00 restocking fee.

Good thing my status lets me drink free from the mini bar.

What status is that, because I blew points for a two night stay at a Holiday inn near Toronto, and I'm on the executive level.

~JS

Jason's Storm- Making one killer deal after another. With something other than a machete to the head.

From the ashes of Friday the 13th Forum, rises Friday the 13th: The Community. A new beginning has arrived.

Yes - that system is becomign the norm in hotels that update their overall operational systems regularly. Ands much to their credit... when i stayed at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero in San Francisco a few years ago (a PL stay) they not only cheerfully reversed those charges when discovered them halfway through my stay - they also offered me a free dorm size fridge to store my own cold items in and delivered it to the room an hour later.

Don't know if any of you have tried the little soft sided zip up beverage coolers but I bring one on all my longer personal trips. It fits in my suitcase easily and stays nice and dry on the outside. With a bit of ice from the hotel machine it easily keeps four or five small bottles of water and a zip-loc'd sandwich or two cold for the day.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a tip, the insultated folding shoulder bags/coolers from Sam's Club, and the like are great, as mentioned before. The Sam's Club bag is like $7 and is super insulated.... It will fit a small-med pizza box when expanded... so no worries taking leftovers back to the room.

I do empty the liquified ice daily in the tub, and freshen up.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]