Priceline Hotel: 3* Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale (downtown) $83

KenC4x4
By KenC4x4,
in

Not having any luck bidding in F.L. for 4/12-4/13 pre-cruise stay. Just bid $65 for 3* in Downtown. Added Miramar and $70. No luck.

I'm thinking about the Wellesley Inn & Suites in Pompano Beach. Any info on that hotel? Does it compare to Amerisuites (sold out) in Downtown? I realize I'll lose the free parking for my cruise.

How high should I go for the 3* in Downtown? If the Wellesley is nice, I can at least reserve a room as a back-up.

Thanks for your help,

Ken

KenC4x4,

The two 3* hotels we have seen come up in the Downtown area are The Embassy Suites and the Marriott. The Embassy Suites, for this time of year, usually requires a $75 bid via Priceline ($57 is often a winning bid as well, but NOT during high season, which this is). We've seen an instance where the Marriott was rejected at $78 (although one wouldn't know if there was something 'special' in town, like a convention, that would inflate prices). Given the above, i would think that you would need to bid at least $75 to have a chance at a 3* property, and that's where i would place my first bid. Only you can decide if you want to spend this much or would rather go with the Wellesley Suites thru conventional means. I will add however, that the Embassy Suites gets GREAT reviews, and based upon a post here allows free parking during your cruise but charges ($10/nite) the nite you actually stay in the hotel. If this is important to you, you can call the hotel before to confirm before you bid.

You state that the Amerisuites is sold out, so i don't think that you will have success getting this 2.5* property via Priceline (but probably NOT a good idea to use as a re-bid area, as it could result in a big overbid if Priceline has inventory for some reason).

I did a quick search on Expedia and saw the Wellesley for about $79 as an "Expedia Special Rate" but this should NOT be used as a back-up as this rate comes with a cancellation fee. I don't know if this is where you were thinking of booking a back-up, but make sure your back up is 100% refundable.

A little long winded, but the bottom line is that i think you will be successful if you bid $75 for 3* Downtown. There's even a reported "win" at the Embassy Suites which covers the date you are looking for: REPORTED WIN (ignore the fact that the 'win' is in British pounds... it's equivalent to $75 US)

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the above and keep us updated on your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I'm well aware of the Embassy Suites reviews and parking. That is why it's my #1 choice of hotels. You almost made it sound as if I could bid for that hotel alone...

Question 1: Based on the bids I reported above; Can I add a second free re-bid for $75 and not add a zone?

2: I don't know if you can answer this but... In your opinion, how close to my cruise date should I quit trying to bid on PL and book something else (Wellesley)? That is; provided I am not successful bidding.

Can anyone out there offer a brief review of the Wellesley Suites?

Ken

1. You are out of re-bids.

2. It all depends upon your comfort level. Personally, i would sooner book directly with the Wellesley website ($89... yes i'd pay the extra $10 for the right to cancel) IF that rate allows me a full refund if i cancel (website doesn't say, you'll have to call and ask). I would continue to try Priceline up to the point where my back-up reservation is no longer 100% refundable (or any penalty would offset the Priceline savings).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ken, I definitely agree with Thereuare here. While you'll need to wait 72 hours before you can bid again, I'd not bid less than $75 for the 3* Downtown zone for your dates.

Another option for you while you're waiting would be to see if Valuetrips (Valuetrips) has availability at the Amerisuites that night. They offer fully cancellable reservations, either at $79 or $99.

Also, take a look at the Holiday Inn Express. They have some attractive pricing and are a good property in the same Downtown area on 17th.

Then rebid in 3 days for the 3* :)

I was bidding this area for my uncle last month and the best deal is the new 4* Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Plantation. This is in the FL-west zone and usually goes for only $40. With the savings, you could rent a car because the hotel is about 10+ miles from the airport!!!

I read the reviews on flyertalk and the hotel seems great.

Another failed try for 3* FL Downtown @ $75 & $80. Well, should I stay the course and wait 72 hours?

Thanks for the info sgueegeekid. But, if and when I move out of the downtown zone, I'm going to go north to the zones that I95 runs through ( Pompano or North FL). I'm driving down the coast for our cruise. Any info in those zones?

The 4* Westin FLL-North accepts really low ... I would try $45, $50 just to test the waters, otherwise, you have to go into the $70's. You do have lots of free bids for 4*'s as you know downtown and Hollywood won't even give you a shot.

I know in other cities like Philly, NYC the prices will amaze you if you wait till the last couple weeks. In fact, some hotels only accept a week before.

Successful bid- Embassy Suites, Downtown Fort Lauderdale 4/12 $83 !!

First bid was $75; PL countered with an offer to add $22. Tried to add $11 ( to $86) and PL would not accept it. I had to go completely out and back in to PL to be able to add a free re-bid zone. I then increased my bid to $83. A friend had successfully bid in the same scenario recently at $86... When he backed out his tax rate (from Burbunny's tips) the total came to $83. Thanks to him; it worked.

Thank you Betterbidding for all your help! This couldn't have worked out any better! :)

I'm THRILLED this has <finally> worked out for you!! I know your departure date was getting very close and you have been working on this for quite awhile. As i said earlier, sometimes it takes more effort than others, but i'm sure you feel 'vindicated' now and believe the effort was ultimately worth it.

Don't forget to cancel your back-up if you reserved one.

Enjoy your stay and your cruise.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]