Priceline Hotel: 4* Seattle (Downtown) Edgewater Hotel

candj999
By candj999,
in

Hi, I'm new to Hotwire. Been trying to bid a 4* room in DT Seattle for 10/5 check-in and 10/8 check-out (3 nights), and 10/9 check-in and 10/11 check-out (2 nights). Basically, we're there 10/5 - 10/11, with 1 night spent in Victoria. However, I'm not having luck with bidding on PL. I've gone up to $150 bids, and bidding almost every other night for the last 2 weeks. Sheraton and Westin are the 2 major 4* hotels that accept PL bids. But unfortuntely, Sheraton website is showing no availability for the 2 segments I want (I played around with the website, and found that they do not have availability for the nights of 10/7 Sunday night, 10/8 Monday night, and 10/9 Tuesday night. So, in other words, for the 2 segments I'm looking for, there is 1 night in each segment is not available. Westin is showing rooms priced around $260.

I then started looking into Hotwire this afternoon. I found that if I was to do 4 nights in the first segment (10/5 - 10/9, at $176/night with the same hotel descriptions as below) and leave just one night in the 2nd (10/10-10/11), total cost will be lower (I guess with Tues & Wed. both being weeknights, prices are higher because of business travelers). So, I was open to change my plan around. Then, tonight, I just checked Hotwire again, things changed on me. It now looks my original plan is better.

Anyway, my questions are as follow:

1) Given I still have 3 weeks until trip, would you suggest that I continue to bid on PL or should I just lock in the hotels rooms via Hotwire?

2) Prices on Hotwire, do they usually go up or come down as dates approach?

3) For 10/5 - 10/8 (3 nights), Hotwire is showing a 4* in DT - Pike Place for $182+tax/fees, a 24% saving. It's a customer's favorite. Amenities are: Fitness Center, Restaurants, HS Internet Access, Pool, Business Center. Tripadvisor's Traveler Rating of 3.5. Looking at other threads in this forum, I'm guessing this is Westin. Sheraton is all booked for those nights (I've even called the hotel myself). Would you say this is a high probable guess?

4) For 10/9 - 10/11 (2 nights), Hotwire, is showing a 3.5* in DT - Pike Place for $129/night+tax/fees. Amenities are: Complimentary Breakfast, Pool, Bus. Ctr, HS Internet Access, Fitness Ctr, Restaurant, Laundry. Judging from the "Complimentary Breakfast" and "Laundry," I'm guessing this is Silver Cloud on Broadway. Again, would you say this is a likely guess?

Getting a bit frustrated since bids on PL are not won, and Hotwire deals are changing on me by the hour. :) Any word of advice or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

p.s. I just checked Hotwire again, and it's now looking like what I saw this afternoon! (nuts!) Same hotel amenities as above, $176 for 10/5 -10/9 (4 nights) and $129 for 10/10 - 10/11 (1 night).

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Given I still have 3 weeks until trip, would you suggest that I continue to bid on PL or should I just lock in the hotels rooms via Hotwire?
If you're willing to accept any 4* hotel in the area, i would continue to increase your priceline bids (at least for the 4* hotel) towards the current HOTWIRE rate. However, i wouldn't do this slowly as you don't want to risk the HOTWIRE hotel disappearing on you (assuming you have no other back-up that is close to this rate)
Prices on Hotwire, do they usually go up or come down as dates approach?
It all depends upon how actual demand comes in relative to expected demand. See the related "bid early or close to check-in" link in our PRICELINE FAQ for a further discussion.
For 10/5 - 10/8 (3 nights), Hotwire is showing a 4* in DT - Pike Place for $182+tax/fees, a 24% saving. It's a customer's favorite. Amenities are: Fitness Center, Restaurants, HS Internet Access, Pool, Business Center. Tripadvisor's Traveler Rating of 3.5. Looking at other threads in this forum, I'm guessing this is Westin. Sheraton is all booked for those nights (I've even called the hotel myself). Would you say this is a high probable guess?
Due to the Sheraton's sold-out status, i would say the Westin is more likely... but don't rule out the Sheraton simply because it is sold-out; we have seen hotels received while the hotel was otherwise showing a sold-out condition on their website and thru other sources (although this is more the exception than the rule)
For 10/9 - 10/11 (2 nights), Hotwire, is showing a 3.5* in DT - Pike Place for $129/night+tax/fees. Amenities are: Complimentary Breakfast, Pool, Bus. Ctr, HS Internet Access, Fitness Ctr, Restaurant, Laundry. Judging from the "Complimentary Breakfast" and "Laundry," I'm guessing this is Silver Cloud on Broadway. Again, would you say this is a likely guess?
These amenities match the Silver Cloud Inn so that woudl be our best guess.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

If you do make separate purhcases:

1) Please use our HOTWIRE link for each purchase (ie- click our HOTWIRE link to make the first purchase, return here and click our link again to make the second purchase)

2) please post your first win in this thread and start a NEW TOPIC for the second stay... this will enable us to reflect each win in the topic title of the respective thread as well as allow other features of the board, such as our Priceline Maps to function correctly.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm back. I've been bidding intermittently on PL for a 4* hotel in downtown, but have had no luck. I've also been keeping an eye on Hotwire rates as well. I figured my odds of winning would be better during this final week. Basically, I was ready to fall back on my back up hotel at HIE for a nightly rate of around $120 for both segments of my visit if I can't lock in any deal that is more worth while. I just now saw a 4* hotel in Space Needle area on Hotwire for $139. Trying to figure out what this hotel might be. According to the hotel list here, there is only one 4* hotel in Space Needle, which is Pan Pacific. However, the amenities do not match.

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

High-speed Internet Acces

I've also looked up Pan Pacific on Tripadvisor. The # of reviews don't match either. According to the recent review, "the room was small but lovely, the bed was very comfortable, we upgraded to water view and loved sitting outside. the only critisism is you must pay to park your car on top of what you pay for the room is pretty high."

so this hotel is by the waterfront? would anyone have an idea?

thanks a lot.

Aren't you glad your $150 bids were rejected a couple weeks ago?

That 4* for $139 you didn't buy on Hotwire was probably the Edgewater too. Those amenities match the Edgewater's in Hotwire Vacation Packages.

Not sure if you knew this but Priceline will usually accept less than their counteroffer. If they countered $22 when you bid $100, the strike price was probably in the $110-115 range. If you have free rebid zones you can use them to try and undercut the counteroffer.

Have a good trip!

Thanks for the info Colfax!! I was guessing the $139 on Hotwire was Edgewater too because of the "water view" mentioned in the review. But the review ratings didn't match. Hotwire has it at 4.0 while Tripadvisor has it at 3.5. And I didn't see Edgewater as one of the hotels listed on the hotel list, so I began to doubt my guess.

No, I did not know the couteroffer is usually higher than a strike price. This is GOOD to know!! I had 8 free rebid zones. I wasn't sure if I should just continue with my $5 increment or just accept $122 all together. Because of the difficulties I've had bidding in the past weeks, and the fact that my back up hotel HIE is priced at $116 for those 3 nights, I figured what the heck. But of course, I'm always for the idea of saving a few more bucks (especially when I have so many free rebid zones)! I would definitely keep this info in mind next time I use PL.

Thanks and yes, am glad the $150 bids were rejected!! I can't believe buying/bidding a hotel room is as volatile as the stock/bond markets. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]