NV Las Vegas Luxor Strip South

Yellow Hammer
By Yellow Hammer,
in

got lucky and got a room in the West Tower instead of one of the dingier Pyramid rooms. Big difference in the room size and newness of the rooms. Very confusing to navigate Luxor, took us a while to figure out where to catch the elevators. Nice place, once we figured out the lay of the land. Internet service was $13 for a 24 hour period. Self parking was a long walk and it was like a million degrees last week, so after the initial time we went exclusively to valet parking.

• 6 months later...

Hmm, where do I even start on this place?

I'll start with the positives:

The bellman was super nice, the valet guys were all great and the time to get your car was minimal, and check in was quick. That's about it...

Now for the negatives:

- The desk lady at check in was clearly a Pricescriminator, as in a Priceline Discriminator. The couple next to me was just being "upgraded" to a tower room for free, so I was thinking I would get the same treatment. I asked to be put in a tower room, and the lady said they had several rooms available in the tower, but it would be 20/night to upgrade. So I then tried to give her $20, and she acted like no one has ever done that before, and she said she'd get in so much trouble if she did upgrade me. Whatever. So we got put in pyramid "four star" room...

-The "four star" rooms that are the pyramid rooms must be some kind of joke. These rooms are basic 2.5-3 star rooms, except for one thing: THEY ARE DIRTY! The smell in the room hard to describe, but I will tell you it is not pleasant! My allergies flared up 30 minutes after I was in the room. Maybe that had something to do with the mold and mildew by the window and in the shower? The room hadn't been dusted in a very long time either.

-The beds were CONCAVE when you looked at them! They clearly were sunken in. They felt like they were sunken in too. I just came to the Luxor from Golden Nugget, and man what a change in beds and environment that was! They use cheap sheets on the bed. They don't even use a fitted sheet over the mattress, they use an undersized sheet and tuck it in. So every night I was there I woke up laying on the bare mattress because the sheet came up. And trust me, it's not a good feeling waking up on a bare mattress with spot on it. Yuck.

- Housekeeping was very poor. They did not even come the first day we were in there. We needed towels the next morning, so we called housekeeping and reported our room not being cleaned and that we needed towels asap. They came 45 minutes later, and shoved the towels at me and walked off before I could say thank you. Housekeeping came later that day and slopped our beds together.

-The TV went in and out the entire stay. It would go from a regular channel to a blue screen or a fuzzy screen, and then maybe a few minutes later it would come back on. We didn't complain, because we figured no one would care. Also, they do not have wireless internet. When I called to inquire about an internet connection, they said to fish around in the back of the TV to find a cord. I did find one, all balled up back there. It was 12.99 a night or some rediculous amount like that to access the internet.

-The rooms and the pyramid area are generally worn down and in need of a MAJOR update. The beds, carpets, and rooms in general have shown their wear.

Overall, this room is not worth a four star price. It also poses a problem to bidding on the South Strip area. The other choices in that area are all nice places, deserving of their four star status. The Luxor rooms are nothing but basic Imperial Palace rooms jammed into a pyramid. I enjoy staying at the IP from time to time, but they are a 3 star and I pay 3 star prices to stay there.

• 6 months later...

Just got back from the Luxor - stayed Sept. 28 08- Oct. 2 08. Got there and tried the $20 trick. I was told that it was not an option and that I could pay $20 for each night to be upgraded. This is where I went wrong. I should have taken it and then we would have had a better time. We paid $78/night after taxes and fees.

This was my wife and I's second time at the Luxor - the first being in 2006 which we liked and enjoyed. We checked in and it was busy - long line that took about 15-20 minutes to go thru - not a big deal to me. We asked for a higher room in the pyramid when we couldn't score a free upgrade. I was told no problem, and got the 3rd floor! Our view was the BUTT of the sphinx that sits out front. They also hide lots of stuff behind it we found out, window cleaning stuff, ladders, 5 gallon buckets, brooms, etc.

The room wasn't bad - no fitted sheets for the bed, light bulb that was burnt out. We got to sleep by 10pm Vegas time (midnight our home time) only to be woken up by maintenance telling us that there was a problem with our TV and that they were here to fix it. We told them no problem with the TV and then placed the do not disturb sign on the door.

Next morning I went to the front desk and tried the $20 trick as it was slow and hoping to score anything with a better view. Same thing - a No but was told that they have been instructed NEVER to accept money as a tip and give out a free upgrade. I did get moved to the 15th floor with a much better view over the top of the sphinx.

This room was no better then the last. The TV didn't work in this one, neither did the remote, called maintenance who came within 2 hours and "reset" the TV. The hot water handle in the bathroom - for the sink, came off in my hand when I turned it on, it appears that it needed a replacement as the threads were stripped out. I called maintenance again and explained the issue. It was still broken 3 days later when we checked out - never fixed. The carpet in our hallway was rippled in the center almost the entire way from our room to the elevator, which was a long walk.

We had some other unforeseen things happen, airline destroyed our suitcase so bad that we had to purchase a new one to come home - I was told that it was a manufacturing error and not the airlines fault

• 10 months later...

stayed here from the july 17th to the 18th. I got the West Tower and was happy.

1. Bathroom was one of the higher class ones I ever seen. I can't recall but the toilet was gold plated(maybe??) but it sucked anything down it with no possible chance of being stuffed up. There was a seperate bathtub and a shower which I was def impressed.

2. Bed area was nice but I am not a bed conasuir so I was def fine with what I slept in that night.

3. The view was of the back pool area but too bad I did not get to use it the next day due to the short stay.

Overall def worth it to stay here and a you can make it a day trip by walking down the strip. We made it to circus circus before we went to dinner.

• 1 year later...

Late post, but we stayed here last April 2010 after winning the hotel on priceline. Those details were added long ago in the wins forum. As for a review - I was expected a dump, but I was surprised in many ways. The Mexican restaurant was great - good value for money, good food and great service. We asked for a quiet room and we were upgraded to the tower at no charge. Everything was fine at this hotel, however the walls were SO THIN I was never able to sleep. They moved us after 2 nights, and it was a little better, but again the walls were too thin. Even with Ambien I could not sleep - and I can sleep anywhere. The guests were only having normal conversations but if literally sounded like they were at the foot of the bed. For that reason, I would rate this hotel a 2 out of 5. It had a nice pool, was close to some fun places, great party pit blackjack, attentive staff.... but 6 nights of not sleeping and I was rather cranky.

September

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]