Is it cheaper to break down parts of the trip?

Rachel
By Rachel,
in

I see a rocking deal Alaska-AZ, 12 days for $783 @ a 3 star hotel and airfair. (It's $600 for the airfair alone) per person.

Sooo once I do submit the payment info, what can I expect next? I've never used Priceline before... I appreciate any advice you have.

We are going to Phoenix from May 1-12th. I have it right now 2 adults, flying from Alaska (that alone is $600 going through Alaska Airlines) for $783 each. This does not include a car (on priceline I could add a car for $34 a day or something, so I was going to bid seperately on the car).

Do you have any suggestions? Should I try and break it down more? I've never used priceline and only used hotwire once for a car.

Thanks so much :)

I've never used Priceline for a vacation package, but I think what will happen is that you will see a web page with confirmation numbers for e-tickets and the booking details for the hotel. After a couple days you can phone the airline and the hotel just to confirm that your booking details are in order.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Which airports are you flying to/from, what is the hotel they're showing, and what are your dates of travel?

I just picked a date at random and found airfare (anchorage to phoenix?) for under $500. Subtracting airfare from the per person cost: $783 - $500 = $283.

Since this is double occupancy hotel cost is actually $283 x 2 = $566

Per nite hotel: $566 / 12 nites = $47/nite

Given that we've seen 3* hotels in some areas of Phoenix (i had to asssume since you didn't say) as low as $30, and resort hotels as low as $49 at certain times of year, i'm not quite sure how great a deal this is.

Even if you can 'piece-meal' the pacakge together on your own for the same price i think you are better off since it will allow you to pick your flight times rather than depart 'anytime of day' that Priceline dictates.

Fill us in on more of the details and we can likely be of more help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You typed the dates in another thread as i was replying (and i have moved that thread here) but please add departure/arrival airports and name of hotel that the Vacation package is showing.

I've also added some preliminary numbers above but using the dates you supplied and the same parameters the numbers only get better... your dates are actually for 11 nites (not 12) so the packages hotel per nite price goes up for comparison purposes and i also found airfare around the $400 area.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Coming from Juneau (it's MUCH higher then Anchorage as we only have Alaska Airlines... NO other carrier) Alaska flying into Phoenix Sky Harbor. May 1-12th.

Crowne Plaza North Phoenix is the hotel

Air + Hotel Price: $783/person

Total Price for 2 people: $1566

(incl. taxes/fees) Juneau, AK (JNU) to Phoenix, AZ (PHX) connects in Sitka, AK and Seattle, WA Alaska Airlines

I *so* do not want to stop in Sitka but I am not sure if you can easily change the flights. OK I found where to change them and it bumps it up $25 so forget that idea.

I checked these prices because my son will stay free in a hotel :)

Juneau,AK to Phoenix,AZ

Priceline Partner Airline

-- Exact flight times are shown after purchase 0-1 Stops

Phoenix,AZ to Juneau,AK Priceline Partner Airline

-- Exact flight times are shown after purchase

0-1 Stop

$542

Flight 68 / 62 / 720 11h 13m Departs: 9:14a

Arrives: 9:27p 3 Stops Phoenix, AZ (PHX) to Juneau, AK (JNU) connects in Seattle, WA Alaska Airlines

Flight 749 / 59 9h 07m Departs: 1:24p

Arrives: 9:31p 1 Stop

$545

I look forward to what you guys have to say as my husband would like me to book today (as the prices are best when booking on a Tues-Thurs correct??)

If you go to Orbitz (please using the link found here: Other Travel Links) you'll see the same prices as above... BUT you can pick your flight times.

There is a $542 with one stop that involves an overnite in Seatle (so Priceline room there instead of Phoenix?) or $572 for a stop but no overnite. You can also do a 2 stop route for $541. I only looked quickly so double check all of the above.

In the future you an use our exclusive AIRFARE CHECKER TOOL to see prices.

If the package was for 3 people than the $783 (package price) - $542 (own airfare) = $241

$241 x 3 = $723 to spend on hotel

$723 / 11 = $65/nite to spend on hotel

So depending upon the area you wanted to stay you could hopefully beat the $65/nite rate. I see a few 4* hotels available on Hotwire in the Phoenix and Scottsdale areas in $60-$88 range if you wanted to 'step it up a little' from the Crowne Plaza. For instance, what i think is the Hilton Tapio Falls or the Pointe South Mountain Resort

is available and may be worth a few extra dollars.

Personally i'm not a fan of package deals, but some love the convenience factor (if you couldn't tell, i like the 'hunt' :) ) By booking on your own you could also split your stay between two different properties (for instance if budget is a concern you could stay at a 'crowne plaza' property for half the stay and stay at a resort for the other half)

Ultimately how you decide to go is up to you and your preferences/priorities of cost vs. convenience vs. hotel class. Of course we'll try to help if you choose to explore additional options mentioned above or any other questions that arise.

What would you do for a car? What would be the best route?? :)

OK talking the way you do, it looks like breaking it down is better. I think I am saving appx $111.... so let me dig around some more. I really want a hotel w/high speed internet :) I am such a geek!!!

Savings on Cars aren't usually as great with Priceline or Hotwire and sometimes you can get better deals on your own.

Check the usual suspects (Orbitz, Expepedia, etc) to find the best rate, see if you can get or qualify for any special rate codes, then bid a little bit less than the best you can find (but check Hotwire first to make sure you know the price of their offer as well).

Remember also that the above hotel prices don't include any fees or taxes, but i think the main reason to book on your own is to gain a little more control (and i'd even pay a little more in order to gain that control).... but that's just me, others may think differently as it comes down to personal preference.

I've always done hotwire for the cars. I am just blown away at how much it costs to rent one! :)

Depends upon the city and dates, really.

For example, just today I was checking costs for some potential new business travel, St. Louis to Minneapolis. Rental cars costs in MSP showed $16-18/day on Orbitz (Subcompact or Economy classes), but $25+/day on Hotwire!

Then again, I did a bunch of such research last year when I was between jobs, and the variances in rental car costs by city were amazing! Some cities were quite cheap (~$15/day or even less), and some you couldn't find a single thing under $35/day!

For cars, I always check Orbitz & Hotwire for the city I'm travelling to, and compare the results. Don't do H/W or P/L for airfare, as I always need to pick my flight times.

Nautica

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]