Hotwire Hotel: West Hollywood hotels (June 1-6)

Preppyg
By Preppyg,
in

This is my first post on this site and being a beginner, I am hoping to gather some information to make the best decision for a trip I am thinking of booking.

I have decided on the area of LA that I would like to stay in, which is West Hollywood. From all the sites I've read through, it looks like the Wyndham Belage is the only 4/5* hotel in that area. I am wondering if anyone has bid for a 4/5* hotel in West Hollywood and NOT gotten the Wyndham Belage? I have prebooked the room with the hotel directly incase bidding doesn't get me a much lower price so I have a backup plan.

I am also hesitant regarding booking something that can't be changed or cancelled so far in advance. My tentative dates are May 21 - May 26 and I read somewhere that for an extra $5 a night you can get cancellation insurance. Is it worth it?

What would be the best starting bid for my zone and dates? I read somewhere that a bid was won for the Wyndham Belage at $35 a night, and I think that was sometime in either November or December of either last year or the year before. Regardless I'd be willing to pay much more for that hotel. My budget is probably no more than $80 a night.

Please help,

Thanks ...

Welcome to BetterBidding!

$35 seems a bit too low for that property and we have a reported PRICELINE WIN at $100 (which was rejected at lesser amounts). Perhaps you have confused it with a different property?

There is no 5* bidding in this area and the Belage is the only 4* we have reported. When you agree to use Priceline (or Hotwire) you have to be somewhat flexible. If this is the only property you're willing to accept then Priceline may not be the best option for you. Even if it was the only 4* hotel ever reported, hotels are added/removed and upgraded/downgraded all the time, so you could very well be the first person to get a new property in a given zone.

As well, Priceline insurance only covers certain situations (along the lines of sickness and death) and changing your mind is not covered.

Before suggesting a starting price you need to understand re-bidding which is explained here: PRICELINE TIPS - Bidding Again Before 72 Hours. When biddnig for a 4* hotel in the West Hollywood area you have 4 re-bid zones available. See if you can figure out which ones they are and then we'll provide a strategy for you to follow (assuming you are ready to bid 'this early' since once accepted you will be committed and charged immediately)

Feel free to ask any add'l questions the above may have sparked.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I haven't seen any 5* hotels on priceline or hotwire but if I do get one then I guess I would be the first.

Regarding bidding, I would'nt be doing it on my own and have a friend that has used PL for over 50 hotel nights. This friend was under the impression that after you've exhausted your free re-bid zones then you have to wait a week. I am reading on this site that it's only 72 hours. Which is correct?

This property really isn't the only one I am willing to accept, however it's the only 4* property that I've ever seen come up in that zone. Now I also realize that things change and I might get a totally different hotel so it's the risk I take, right?

From doing a little research I have found that my 4 re-bid zones that are available are: 1. Bel air - Brentwood; 2. Redondo - Manhattan Beaches; 3. San Fernando Valley (But there's 4 different areas, Burbank, Glendale, Universal city, Studio city, Warner city and Woodland Hills ... do they all count as one re-bid zone?) Wait, I only found those 3 (Bel Air, Redondo, and San Fernando) ... which one is the 4th?

Also (this may be beneficial to other first-timers) with booking and not knowing EXACTLY which hotel and not being able to cancel if plans change ... is there anywhere on the site I can read how to eliminate such concerns?

Thanks

You got the first two re-bid zones correct, but the others you mentioned are in a completely different area.

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.

Head back and select the city "Los Angeles" and go thru the process again, making sure you UNcheck each zone before checking the next one. Going thru this exercise will also show you that there are no 5* hotels offered in this area, so getting one is not a possibility (unless in the future you see 5* as an offering when only West Hollywood has a checkmark next to it)

If you get hung up let us know where and we'll take it from there.

Also (this may be beneficial to other first-timers) with booking and not knowing EXACTLY which hotel and not being able to cancel if plans change ... is there anywhere on the site I can read how to eliminate such concerns?

That's the trade-off... the unknown in exchange for deep discounts. If you want to lessen the risk even more than perhaps Hotwire is a better choice as you have a better chance at identifying the properties based upon the amenities and star levels shown.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks ... rechecking the areas now ...

The 4 free re-bid zones for the LA West Hollywood area are:

1. Bel Air - Brentwood area

2. Commerce area

3. Culver city area

4. Redondo - Manhattan Beaches area

Am I correct at guessing that if I did try to low ball and start the bidding at $50, then I would have to wait 72 hours (not at week) before rebidding?

I know you can't guarantee anything, but I think my chances are fairly high for getting the Wyndham Belage. From all the information I've read, I think at this point in time there is only that one 4* hotel in the area. Also, is it true that there might be 5* hotels in the area, but not available through any of these 'deep discounted' websites?

Regardless, I've booked the Belage at $160/night for the moment. However I am going to wait a week or two before booking my flight, then I'd put a bid in and see what hotel comes up.

Thanks for all your help and I'm glad I can post questions and get responses, without any attitude as I was getting from other sites!

Yes, you now have the re-bid zones correct! However, be sure to check them again before bidding, especially since you won't be bidding for a few days yet.

Assuming the re-bid zones remain the same you can bid up to 5 times every 72 hours. Place the bid for Hollywood/West Hollywood, if rejected add a re-bid zone #1, if rejected add re-bid zone#2, if rejected add re-bid zone#3, if rejected add re-bid zone#4.

If all the above is rejected you'll then need to wait 72 hours from the time of your last bid (not a week).

If you're thinking about $50 being your top bid on the first round of bidding then i think you are starting too low, but if you're talking about starting at $50 and then raising $5 each re-bid than i think that's more appropriate... but it's your money and you're free to spend/bid it as you wish.

My guess is that your chances of the Wyndham are pretty good. Don't know if there are hotels in the area that Priceline/Hotwire don't deal with that are rated 5*, but you can use the OTHER TRAVEL LINKS too look at the star ratings in the area that Expedia, Orbitz, and Travelocity offer. Not everyone rates properties the same way or assign the same star levels to the same properties. You can also use that link to book your airfare if you book thru one of the Big 3. As well, you can easily check rates at the Big 3 using our AirFare Checker tool.

Look about 2-3 lines under this post and you will see a link "Track This Topic". Click that and you will receive email notifications when somebody replies to the topic (but no more than once per day). If you want to stop receiving email notifications you can do so thru MY CONTROLS (under the blue banner at the top of the page)

Hello again ... I've been thinking about what to do ... Since I am going to be in the West Hollywood area for 5 nights, I am hoping to bid for the first 2 nights and see what comes up ... if I like the selection that PL gives me for the bid and star level, then how soon after I purchase the first 2 nights can I get the last 3? Do I still have to wait 72 hours?

I assume you see what I am trying to do; which is risk 2 nights to PL and if it comes up with something I am not happy with, then book directly with a hotel that I like for the last 3 (or maybe 4) nights. However, if it comes up with the Wyndham Belage (which seems to be the ONLY 4* in the area) then I'd book the last few nights.

What are your thoughts on this this method?

I would be willing to change hotels during my stay if it comes to that ... Although I'd like to think (and only hope) at this point that my method works and I get the same hotel ... I'll let you know before I get closer to bidding.

I've been reading some info. on double the difference, where can I read the what that is and how to take advantage of it?

We haven't had any reported Hotwire wins in the West Hollywood area.

West Hollywood is a sub-zone of the Los Angeles area. You can look thru the broad Los Angeles heading in the second post of the HOTWIRE CALIFORNIA HOTELS LIST and determine which hotels are in the West Hollywood area.

I am trying to figure out my chances of getting a specific hotel in the LA, West Hollywood zone. I would like the Wyndham Belage and am willing to pay upwards of $100 for May 21- May 26 (best rates I've found are $150 calling direct). I just checked the packages section on PL.com for my dates to see if that hotel was even a choice, and it wasn't! I am wondering if it will even be available for my dates when I put in a bid through PL.com?

Now, I've seen the Hyatt West Hollywood come up for approximately $60/night and might be willing to stay there. However, can anyone who might have stayed there tell me if it's a good hotel or not? I've heard only good things about the Belage, and not too many good things about the Hyatt West Hollywood. I realize that I can't pick a specific hotel, but I am trying to deduce my chances of getting the Wyndham Belage.

Thanks for any help (in advance) ...

I posted a thread about a related subject recently (in Questions and Suggestions, I think).

There were two likely hotels for my bid, and only one of them showed up in Vacation Packages. However, when I actually succeeded in my bid, I got the hotel that did not show up! (Fortunately I was happy with it.) So you can't tell.

Did you check reviews for the Hyatt West Hollywood on TripAdvisor.com?

Thereuare ... I just posted a reply to 'willtravel' response, where did it go?

Also, if I want to update or bring my topic back up to the top of the list is there a way for me to refresh or do I just edit something and it will appear at the top again?

You may have hit reply while i was merging your past topic into this one... keep all your posts regarding the same stay in one thread. Or you may have hit 'preview post' rather than 'post my reply'.

Please be considerate and don't 'bump' just for the sake of brining your topic to the top. I think we've done a good job of answering all of your questions thus far without the need to artifically bring your thread to the top. If you have something to add then post a reply and continue your thread, but if everybody just 'bumped' their topics to the top then this board wouldn't be as useful as it is.

Thanks Thereuare for the help thus far, as it has been extremely helpful and useful!

WillTravel ... Thank you for your reply and advice ... Where can I find your post regarding the topic you recently addressed?

WillTravel: If you don't mind me asking, what were the names of the 2 hotels that came up? The one you mention in the Vacation Packages and the one you didn't want, but fortunately liked! Have you gone on your trip yet, and if so, how was the hotel you were awarded in your bid?

I checked tripadvisor.com for reviews on both hotels (Wyndham Bel Age and the Hyatt) and the reviews for the Hyatt aren't as up to par with what I'd expect for a Hyatt. Also, the Wyndham is closer to the area I think I'd be spending most of my time (Santa Monica Blvd.). As it (the Bel Age) would be walking distance to the bars and clubs of my choice. Whereas the Hyatt isn't really walking distance from the Santa Monica Blvd. area. Although I've never been there, I am just going by what I've heard.

If you have any other advice, opinions or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.

Thanks

Preppye, my topic about the vacation packages and the two hotels mentioned is here:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?act...st=0entry9925

(My final winning bid is in the Other Countries section of this board.)

I haven't gone yet - it's this summer.

EDIT: I took a look at the Vacation Packages.

It looks to me like Hyatt West Hollywood is rated 3* by Priceline.

If you bid for a 4* you should not get it, if that is indeed the case.

You can confirm it yourself.

SOMEONE lucked out ... I see on TOBB that someone has received the Wyndham Belage West Hollywood, April 22 for $75. There's still hope!

Thereuare: Is there a way to delete some of the posts since it seems that my thread (if that's what this is called) is becoming too long. Thanks ...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally booked my flights and am deciding what to do about a hotel. I'll be in the LA area and want to stay in the West Hollywood area from Tuesday June 1 until Sunday June 6th. I've looked at the Hotwire site and there is a hotel there listed for $125 a night and I am wondering if that's the Wyndham Bel Age, can anyone help with that please? I am also wondering if I go onto PL and try to get the Hyatt which one (between the Hyatt and the Bel Age) would be a better choice, forgetting about price for now.

I hope someone reads this and knows about either hotel and can help me make a decision.

Thanks!

Well I finally booked my flights and am deciding what to do about a hotel. I'll be in the LA area and want to stay in the West Hollywood area from Tuesday June 1 until Sunday June 6th. I've looked at the Hotwire site and there is a hotel there listed for $125 a night and I am wondering if that's the Wyndham Bel Age, can anyone help with that please? I am also wondering if I go onto PL and try to get the Hyatt which one (between the Hyatt and the Bel Age) would be a better choice, forgetting about price for now.

I hope someone reads this and knows about either hotel and can help me make a decision.

Thanks!

The 4* i think you're seeing on Hotwire (you didn't supply the amenities) matches the Bel Age, but the icons are very common ones so there are no guarantees and there could be others with the same exact amenities that we don't yet know about.

Since it's an extended stay and a Customer Favorite, you could see if the hotel appears for one date (beginning or end of your stay) as well as the remaining days... purchase one date and upon confirming it's the hotel you want purchase the remaining days. The Customer Comments seem to be consistent with the Bel Age.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]