Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Coastal) Hilton San Diego Resort

BigRich
By BigRich,
in

Hi I am new to the forum and I am interested in using Priceline for my upcoming honeymoon. I am looking to stay one night in La Jolla at the Torrey Pines Hilton. I am willing to pay upto $150 for the night. We will be travelling all over SoCal for six days.

Is there a strategy you can suggest that will make sure I stay at the Hilton at Torrey Pines?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and trying to plan a fun little honeymoon from October 3rd to 9th. I am trying to save as much as possible on our hotel rooms. Pretty much this is the plan that I have come up with. Any local input or suggestions from people's past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Arrive San Diego 12pm on the 3rd. (Jet lag should leave us pretty tired) I am thinking a nice place somewhere in the San Diego area that is close to the ocean and is quiet and laid back. (The nicer/swankier the better) it is afterall my honeymoon.

On the 4th we are going to do Seaworld (I am seriously hoping to swim with some dolphins). I am going on the assumption that we will be there until around 6-7pm and we are willing to drive a little to get towards Anaheim/Disneyland area because, as you guessed it, Friday the 5th will be DISNEYLAND. (Just a little excited sorry) Again we will be wiped out when leaving Disneyland so I am thinking for the night of the 4th and 5th I would like to stay somewhere close.

On Saturday the 6th we would like to go to Hollywood and Beverly Hills (hence why I need to save on hotel rooms :) )

On Sunday the 7th we would like to see to Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, Long Beach and some of the Los Angeles coast areas.

Any suggestions as where to stay in Los Angeles that would cut down drive time to acheive these touristee destinations.

On Monday the 8th I would like to head back down to San Diego and see some of the cultural areas of San Diego. Oh and did I mention I would like to say I have been to Mexico .......... TIJUANA baby. So on the night of the 8th somewhere in southern San Diego but still close enought to get to the airport on Tuesday morning.

I know this is a lot bidding and research ahead of me and I in fact look forward to it. Any assistance, guidance or expert opinion is much needed and appreciated.

Thanks,

BigRich

P.S. -- Our budget is in and around $100-$125 night (but just like everyone else - cheaper is better)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please use separate threads for each leg of your stay. We'l use this thread for your first leg, San Diego. I see your check-in is 10/3, but what is your check-out date for this leg? (or are each of these one nite stays) What is your minimum star rating for this leg?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't know the area well enough to comment which area is closest to the better beaches and have the nicer hotels, but hopefully somebody else will be able to comment and advise you on your best zones (or you'll be able to figure it out by looking at the priceline maps and/or our Priceline Hotel List.

Once zone(s) are chosen we'll be in a better position to advise you further on a bidding strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think a 4* in either the Coastal or Coronado zones would be good for a honeymoon night. You might or might not get a beachfront property but you won't be more than a mile from the ocean or bay, whichever hotel you win. I checked HOTWIRE to see if they had any hotels with a Beachfront icon on Oct 3 and at this time they don't.

Let us know if Coastal, Coronado, or both zones are acceptable. Also if you want to bid up to $125 in Coastal first, then try Coronado, or if you prefer the least expensive 4* available in either zone.

Hey everyone,

thanks or the help to this point. I looks like the San Diego Coastal and Coronado would be good places to stay. I would like to reduce the cost as much as possible for parking however and would like to factor that into any hotel I am staying at.

Like I previously stated I would like to stay around the $100 line with a max of $150. I am interested to see your suggestions and ideas on how to help.

thanks in advance,

BigRich

Do you think it is possible to get a 4* for less?

Let's find out :)

At the 4* level you have 11 re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Coronado and Coastal...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Selected 4* Coronado and Coastal...

Bid $70, rejected and added Del Mar

Bid $75, rejected and added East County

Bid $80, rejected and added Escondido

Bid $85, rejected and added Miramar

Bid $90, rejected and added Mission Valley

Bid $95, rejected and added National City

Bid $101, rejected and added North County

Bid $106, rejected and added Point Loma

Bid $109, rejected and added Rancho Bernardo

Bid $111, rejected and added San Ysidro

Bid $115, rejected and added Sorrento Mesa

Bid $120. rejected

Well no more zones left to add. What should I do next?

Thanks,

Richard

Well you've bid up to your limit, so your options are:

-wait it out and try again

-increase you bid amount

-lower your star rating

-add other nearby zones

What is the best rate you're able to find for this nite thru convention means? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your search.

I am may be wanting to switch my dates to the weekend or something of that nature. It appears all the 4* hotels in the San Diego area (Coronado & Coastal) are all drastically cheaper on the weekends based on Expedia and Travelocity. Example being the Hilton Torrey Pines Wednesday night $349, Saturday night $183. Would this mean I am more likely to get the 4* on the Saturday for my budget of $120?

If so I may need to make an adjustment to our travel schedule. It doesn't appear this theory of cheaper weekends applies to Disneyland area, which is where we going to head on the thursday/friday.

Thanks for the help,

Richard

I am not necessarily apposed to the downtown area, but I am slightly turned off the high price of parking down there.

I am going to try and move the dates to 3 nights from the Oct/6 to Oct/9. As you can tell we are travelling all over SoCal so I am somewhat flexible.

I somewhat have my heart set on Torrey Pines - Hilton...fingers crossed!

Whichever way you plan your itinerary you'll find certain nights/cities will be won on Priceline quickly and easily and other nights/cities will take more patience and work.

I wouldn't let your Priceline rejections six weeks in advance cause you to alter your itinerary. If your original itinerary is still the one you like best then just move forward by bidding for the other dates of your trip and come back to San Diego at the end. A Wednesday night in October is not going to sell out in San Diego.

Of course if you've simply changed your mind about the order you want to visit places that's another thing. If you don't stay in San Diego on 10/3 where are you thinking of staying that night?

On 10/3 and 10/4 we would be staying in Anaheim/Disneyland area. On 10/5 would Los Angeles area and then 10/6, 10/7 and 10/8 back in San Diego.

10/3 Wednesday San Diego (Stay in Anaheim)

10/4 Thurdsay Disneyland (Stay in Anaheim)

10/5 Friday Los Angeles (Stay in LA)

10/6 Saturday Los Angeles (Stay in San Diego)

10/7 Sunday Los Angeles (Stay in San Diego)

10/8 Monday Sea World (Stay in San Diego)

10/9 Tuesday (Fly out in the morning)

I think this set up will allow for better hotel purchases and less busy lines at Disneyland and Sea World. I noticed that alot of the water parks in SoCal are closed in October or am I blind.

thanks,

Rich

Not as of yet. I beleive I am going to retry it tonight. I was originally looking for confirmation that the idea that San Diego is cheaper on the weekends while Disneyland is cheaper during the week. I beleive that the above statement is in fact true and therefore I will go ahead and retry the strategy first suggested above.

I will retry and post outcome.

thanks again for the support and help!

Ok here is the update of my efforts.

Check in Oct/6 - Check out Oct/9 - 3 nights

Looking to win a hotel in Coronado or San Diego Coastal

Selected 4* Coronado and Coastal...

Bid $70, rejected and added Del Mar

Bid $75, rejected and added East County

Bid $80, rejected and added Escondido

Bid $85, rejected and added Miramar

Bid $90, rejected and added Mission Valley

Bid $95, rejected and added National City

Bid $100, rejected and added North County

Bid $103, rejected and added Point Loma

Bid $106, rejected and added Rancho Bernardo

Bid $109, rejected and added San Ysidro

Bid $112, rejected and added Sorrento Mesa

Bid $115. rejected

Expedia listed the following:

Loews $262

Mariott $275

Hilton $289

Hyatt $224

Estancia $217

Paradise Point $220

Hilton T.Pines $184

I would love to get Hilton Torrey Pines for under $125. Do you think it is possible?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]