Priceline Hotel: 3* Detroit (Downtown) Marriott at Renaissance Center

JLSgirl95
By JLSgirl95,
in

I've tried twice now to get a great rate on an 3* upscale Downtown Detroit hotel and I've had no luck :) .

My dates are September 14th-16th. I bid $62 last night and $65 tonight. I thought for sure I'd get at least the Omni for that amount. When I saw a recent poster get the Rennaisance Marriott for $65 I was excited to try and get the same deal. Should I wait a couple of days and try again? How much higher of a bid do I need to make? I'm trying for a quick romantic getaway with my husband :) .

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Rates are not high for these dates so i would just continue to bid low... wins here frequently come closer to check-in time. However, it doesn't appear that you're using your re-bid zones at all... are you familiar with Priceline Re-Bidding Explained?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't think using a rebid with a different zone will work. If I bid in another zone, they all have the three star rating (that the Omni and Marriott I want have), there is no 4 star rating hotel for downtown Detroit. I want to end up downtown on the river, not in the nearby burbs.

You're right (of course :) )! The Southgate/Taylor option has only 2 stars or less. So when Priceline shoots down my next bid for downtown Detroit I should add the Southgate option but keep the 3 star rating I want and I won't end up staying in Southgate if my new bid is accepted?

I rebid yesterday at $60 and got denied.

I bid again today at $66 in just the downtown zone and was denied. I rebid immediately with an added zone at $67 and was denied again. I'm thinking my timing is off or the people that got the upscale downtown hotels for less than $70 were quite lucky.

It's a good thing I have a few weeks to find something and it's just an anniversary getaway, nothing crucial :) .

Try once a week (no more) for the next two weeks... but perhaps, if you're concerned about getting this done sooner rather than later, first try bidding $70 (if that's within your budget) since that is the amount of the previous winning bid.

Don't get frustrated as rates are still low for these dates.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Today I started bidding at $64, got shot down and rebid two hours later at $68. I got shot down again but was given the opportunity to bid another $17 higher :) . No thanks. I don't want to pay $85 for a room other people are getting for $15-$20 less. I am going to stop bidding for a few days. The Priceline Gods are not on my side right now :) .

Today I started bidding at $64, got shot down and rebid two hours later at $68. I got shot down again but was given the opportunity to bid another $17 higher :) .

That's usually an indication you're close. Many of us get wins at half or less of the difference to that "counteroffer".

Patience. Know your budget and inch toward it.

I don't want to pay $85 for a room other people are getting for $15-$20 less
Rates are date specific... these lesser rates are not for the same dates as your own. While inventory may open up at lower rates down the road (or they might not... maybe prices go up from here (see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ)) right now your bids are not high enough for these dates or priceline would have accepted your bid.
first try bidding $70 (if that's within your budget)
x2

• 1 month later...

I decided to try one more time to get the Downtown Detroit Marriott at the Rencen for Sept 14-16th. I first bid $65, which was rejected. I then added another zone for a rebid and bid $70. Still rejected :) . I figured once I actually hit the $70 that everyone else had luck with I was golden. So now my anniversary is this weekend and I don't know what to do :) . I don't know what other city that's near me has any attractions like Detroit. Darn. Can I bid on downtown again using my husband's name and credit card info? I just want to run away from home (Sterling Heights) for two days, but not too far away!

Don't get frustrated as rates are still low for these dates.

Unfortunately the above was true when posted, but as this was over a month ago, it is no longer valid as rates as the

Westin are now over $350/nite for the above dates.

I figured once I actually hit the $70 that everyone else had luck with I was golden.
I believe you would have been if you had bid $70 a month ago... but you were holding out to save an extra $2/nite :)

What is your current maximum bid for this stay?

I was willing to go up to $75 after my $70 was rejected, of course :) . I looked at their website just to see if they were really booked for some odd reason (I didn't see anything in the paper about downtown festivals or events for this weekend). I see they actually have rates for $139 available. I tried to bid again with hubby's info (different email and cc) and it was considered a duplicate bid (didn't know if that would work or not). So can I bid again this afternoon, or did my 1 am bid count as the start of my 24 hour waiting period? I probably messed that one up :) . We may be staying in Troy just down the road and twiddling our thumbs instead of checking out the new downtown.

If you have an America PRICELINE EXPRESS card you can book the Omni thru their website for $97/nite... would it be worth an extra $20 over your maximum bid to be in an area you want to stay in? If not, why not lower your star level and forgo the 4 star experience in order to have the nightlife you're seeking?

I don't have an AMEX card. I could just stop being cheap and just book a darn room direct where I want it :) . I just thought it would be neat to be at the RENCEN because of the view and the people mover too. I don't really want to pay almost $300 for two nights, though. See, I'm cheap :) . If I did try one more bid, how much should I go for?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]