Priceline Hotel: 3* San Francisco (USE) Club Quarters

crontab
By crontab,
in

I've been reading around this site and it seems that some people are able to get some 4* hotels at ~100. I just tried this myself on priceline (via savingsbarn) starting at 80 up to 95 but was unsuccessful. Spanning locations USE/USW/Civic/Cath Hill.

Am I doing this too early in the game? Or am I too late? I am going to SF for a convention at the Moscone Center. Will rates stay higher during that period of time since they know there will be a customer base?

I decided not to rent a car since parking is expensive and I probably won't have time to drive much although I did reserve something @ Dollar just in case. The BART and MUNI will suffice for the one or two trips I want to take to some restaurants and to/from SFO. As far as amenities go, it doesn't matter. I just want a clean room, clean, comfy bed, with a clean normal sized bathroom/shower.

I see on hotwire that there is a 4* hotel in USE for $150. Should I go for that?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Great site btw.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Rates are date specific. If the convention you're attending is a large one (or there are other events taking place in the city during your dates) then that increases room rates... for both 'traditional' bookings as well as the opaque suppliers.

What are the amenities associated with the hotel you're seeing on HOTWIRE?

If it's very close to the venue where the convention is being held then perhaps that would be a good option... otherwise you can probably do a little better via Priceline (but less control over the actual location of the property). So it depends upon what is most important to you.

It appears that you have only used 2 of your re-bid zones (Priceline Re-Bidding Explained) when there are actually 3 re-bid zones available... this means that you would still be able to continue bidding today if you choose to do so.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is for VMworld, a Vmware convention. They state 10K people will be there even though registration isn't even over yet.

Here are the amenities that Hotwire listed:

Hotel Amenities

Fitness Center: Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s): Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center: Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

High-speed Internet Access: Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

[EDIT]Judging from these amenities, this seems to be the Grand Hyatt? Or am I incorrect.[/EDIT]

rate of $149 per night

Retail $239.00

You save $90.00 or 38%

This is in USE, right where I want to be.

Hmm, selected the four areas closest to Moscone, they all seem to be in a bundle, I don't want to stay much further away.

So in essence I shouldn't be expecting anything cheaper than $150 for a 4* that week. Does that mean hotwire's lowest price is pricelines lowest bid price as well? Okay, I just wanted to make sure I am getting the best value.

I guess I will look at the 3* hotel reviews as well and the rates some people are getting.

My goal was just to get the best value. Although my employer is paying for all of this, there's no point in throwing money away.

Thanks. I will update on what room/rate I get.

September 10 is more than six weeks away. In Priceline terms that's far in the future. It's likely you'll be able to win a 4* for less than the $122 you've already bid if you're patient. If you want to wait it out you should book a cancellable backup now and try again in a week or so.

If you don't want to wait your alternatives are to bid higher for a 4* or try for a 3* or Boutique. HOTWIRE also has a 3* in the Embarcadero zone at $122, although I wasn't able to identify which hotel that is.

Yeah, I've been noticing that people have been getting their deals waiting at the last minute or a few days before the trip.

It seems that rooms near Moscone are slowly being booked up around that period of time maybe due to the convention. If I don't succeed with my $100 4* this weekend, I'll just go for a 3* or Boutique for hopefully less than $100.

Don't want to wait too long and be stuck away from Moscone.

Will post updates...

Rates are on the high side for your dates.

Marriott $349

JW Marriott $399

Hilton $389

Omni sold out

I would wait until Monday to try for a 4* again, as availability isn't likely to change much during the weekend.

Also, fyi, USE is a large zone and not every hotel in the zone is close to Mosone. The Hilton Financial District is 1.3 miles from Moscone, per MapQuest.

There are some hotels affiliated with the convention holder that will give a group rate of ~250 up till the 9/17.

Do you mean the group rate is available til 8/17? 9/17 is after the end of your convention.

Do you feel rates will go down after that period of time or go up?

I don't predict rate directions. But a number of Union Square hotels don't seem to give inventory to Priceline this far in advance. So Priceline availability for September is likely to improve in a couple weeks whether rates go up OR down. If you scroll through the posts you'll see hardly any September wins reported yet.

If you don't get something accepted on Priceline do you intend to book one of the group rate rooms at $250?

Ic, I didn't know that PL does not release inventory that far in advance.
It's not that Priceline doesn't release inventory, it's that the hotels don't give Priceline any inventory. Remember, the opaque suppliers are a means for the hotels to fill inventory that would otherwise go unused. If a large convention is in town, or the hotel is seeing more reservations than expected, why give inventory away at deep discounts if it appears that they may be able to fill the rooms themselves (at much higher rates). So you may see rates drop after 8/17 which since the hotel may have a much better idea of how many rooms will have been sold to conventioneers... of course they also could have seen more rooms booked than expected and there be little/no inventory available after that date too :)

Are the convention rates cancellable?

Have you looked at EasyClickTravel or Quickbook for cancellable rates that are better than $250/nite?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's the hotels that don't release inventory, not Priceline. Priceline is just a conduit for whatever the hotels give them. The hotels control how many rooms to give Priceline and at what price and how far in advance.

People differ in how much time and effort they're willing to invest in saving money on a hotel. Some will do 20 bids a day for weeks at a time, trying to win the best deal possible. Others will pay a premium to get it over with quickly.

If you're one who likes to get it over with you could try bidding from $125 to $150 for a 4*. If you win something at $150 that's still $100 off the convention price, and $35 better than the HOTWIRE deal.

Or you can wait for 4* availability to improve. Or try for 3* or Boutique.

Well, I tried again once for USE 4* @100 and was unsuccessful. For my next bid, I decided to give a 3* a shot in USE/USW @ $75. It succeeded on the 1st try. Seems like a good rate, but I wish I went lower to actually see how low I can go.

I got the Club Quarters Hotel on Clay Street, which is about 1.0 mile away. ~13 minute travel via muni according to 511. Read that rooms are small and clean, which is good. Only concern is that walls a supposedly thin. We'll see.

One last question. How can I update the title with my new info? I don't see an edit button for my first post anywhere....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]