Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Newark-Airport EWR) Hilton Airport

doublehelix
By doublehelix,
in

Hi!

I'm looking for a hotel near the Newark airport for 8/1 - 8/3 (two nights total).

I'd prefer one of the hotels that has a kitchenette -- like Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, ExtendedStay America..

Budget is $75 per night, maximum. And being an airport hotel, I assume the hotels all offer vans for pickup/dropoff at airport terminals -- do you think this is a safe assumption?

I haven't tried anything yet. Where do you suggest I begin my bidding?

Thanks,

~Jen

As a Priceline bidder, you can't bid for a specific hotel. At the 3* level, most of the Newark Airport area hotels have shuttles, however, there is no way to guarantee this or the Kitchenette by bidding Priceline. HOTWIRE lists amenity icons for the shuttle and kitchenette, but for your dates of travel, I did not see anything in the Newark zone with these amenities. In Priceline's Elizabeth zone there is an Extended Stay America and this typically appears as a 2* with Suite and Laundry amenity on HOTWIRE, but again, I don't see an amenity match on HOTWIRE.

If you absolutely need the Kitchenette and Shuttle, you may want to book conventionally, there is a link to ESA on the Travel Links to Help Support BetterBidding.

Good Luck!

PS, next to the ESA is a Marriott Residence Inn

As a Priceline bidder, you can't bid for a specific hotel. [...] If you absolutely need the Kitchenette and Shuttle, you may want to book conventionally[...]

Yeah, I know. I should have been more clear that those things are preferences and not requirements. Sometime there is an almost-sure way of getting a hotel with certain amenities on Priceline (such as when we know that Hotel ABC is the only 2* hotel in an area). I was looking for bidding guidance with those amenities in mind.

So, unless someone else knows the Newark offerings well enough to get into a kitchenette and a shuttle, I'll certainly take suggestions on bidding for any $75 room in the region, regardless of amenities....

Thanks,

~Jen

...any $75 room in the region...

Do you mean in the (Newark-Newark Airport) zone or the region (which includes other areas such as Secaucus, Short Hills, West Orange, etc)

If you mean just the Newark Airport zone... is Elizabeth also acceptable?

Also, what is your minimum star rating?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Select 3* Newark Airport...

Bid $51, if rejected add Elizabeth...

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Newark Airport...

Bid $45, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Elizabeth...

Bid $45, if rejected add Newark Airport...

Bid $50.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It worked! Thanks!

Here's the info -- do you want me to start a new thread for the success-story?

Selected 3* Newark Airport...

Bid $51, rejected. Added Elizabeth...

Bid $55 and was accepted.

Check-In Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Check-Out Date: Friday, August 3, 2007

Hotel Name: Hilton Newark Airport

1170 Spring Street

Elizabeth, New Jersey 07201

908-351-3900

Summary of Charges

Your Offer Price: $55.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $110.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $25.55

Total Charges*: $135.55

Oh yeah, also I used savingsbarn of course.

this hotel has a shuttle to the airport, contact the desk for details. Also, present your HiltonHHonors card upon check in and ask for a room on a higher floor, this property has been going through a renovation and the upper floors are better appointed.

Select 2.5* Newark Airport...

Bid $45, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Elizabeth...

Bid $45, if rejected add Newark Airport...

Bid $50.

Sadly, this does not seem to be a winning strategy lately. Not sure what's going on, but the 2.5* Elizabeth hotel(s) are up to $59 needed to win, at least based on the last two posts here ($59 for me, $63 for someone else). The airport properties are less money, but they charge for parking, breakfast and Internet, if any of those are important to the bidder.
Sadly, this does not seem to be a winning strategy lately.
It worked! Thanks!

It worked just two days ago. Rates are date specific, so while it may not have worked for the dates of the two posted wins you're refering to, i think it's a bit premature to say "this isn't a winning strategy lately" as this strategy was posted for the specific dates in this thread and it did indeed work for this user.

It worked just two days ago. Rates are date specific, so while it may not have worked for the dates of the two posted wins you're refering to, i think it's a bit premature to say "this isn't a winning strategy lately" as this strategy was posted for the specific dates in this thread and it did indeed work for this user.

It worked because he got a 3* EWR hotel for $55. That always seems to work. it's the 2.5* @ $50 part (which is all that I quoted) that is not working. Please show me a posting with a winning bid for a 2.5* Elizabeth/EWR for under $55 ($59 for the Elizabeth zone).

you are completely wrong about 3* $55 "always seems to work" because I have bid way above that on several occasions without success because the hotels did not offer this rate to Priceline. Also, I have bid way above $59 in the Elizabeth zone without success.

You do realize that Priceline's business model is to help hotels sell room inventory that would otherwise go empty at prices that may be below that of negotiated contracts such as government rates and corporate rates. Your bid is accepted as long as it is equal or greater than the "reserve" set by the hotel at which time the identity of the property is revealed. Why would a 2.5* hotel offer room inventory to Priceline at $50 when it could sell it for $129-200?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]