Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Toronto (Downtown) Sheraton Centre

mcmckissic
By mcmckissic,
in

HI, I am new to this site. Was very happy to get a great deal on Priceline as a 1st timer (32.00 for Hyatt-Woodfield in Chicago), so I am interested in using this for our Toronto trip the first weekend in June. Our whole family is staying at the Sheraton Centre-Toronto downtown and they are paying like 151.00 per night. I wanted to try to get a better rate but am not sure how to do this and it be for sure, if there is such a thing. Do I look at what amenities are offered and star rating etc.?? What are my chances really of getting it??? Thanks so much. Carrie.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

With Priceline you won't be able to 'pick' from among their 3* hotels in the Downtown zone, but with Hotwire you can try to match the star rating and amenity icons. As well, in the past this property has been known to be a "Customer Favorite" so that thing to look for.

All of the 'known' hotels are found in the Hotwire Canada Hotel List. Be sure to read beyond the first post as there are more hotels identified after the first one. If you let us know your exact dates of travel we may be able to help/confirm what you are seeing.

Let us know how we can be of further help.

PS- it would also be appreciated if you added Priceline win to the Illinois>>Priceline section of the board

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What i believe to be the Sheraton Centre Toronto is indeed showing up for your dates... not only for 6/4-6/6, but also individually for 6/4 and 6/5 (and it's priced at ~$57!!)

If you're concerned about it not being the Sheraton you could buy the first nite and if it is indeed the hotel you want then you could proceed for the second nite. If for some reason it is not, although i have a very high degree of confidence that it is, then you could:

1) stay at the hotel won for the first nite and join your family on the 2nd nite by booking it conventionally

2) 'waste' $60 and don't use the hotel you won for the first nite

Splitting the bid like this gives you the opportunity to risk less and 'take a peak' before booking the second nite.

Since the hotel shown is 1/3 the price of the conventional rate, i think the reward far outweigh the risks in this instance.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you paying $151 US or Canadian?

This seems obvious, but I'll mention it anyhow... Hotwire of course is in US$'s, so sometimes it seems like a great deal on Canadian properties until you factor in the exchange. Make sure you know the hotel price and taxes in both currencies so you can make a true comparison.

June is getting into high season, but it's still early so there may be some other 'conventional' ways of getting a discount. Ask about AAA rates and Entertainment. Being a Starwood hotel they probably offer both. I usually try to secure the cheapest 'conventional' rate I can find, and then use Hotwire to see if something better comes up for my dates. Their inventory changes so frequently, I keep checking back until the right price and property show up.

Cheers and happy rate hunting!

... but this is an instance where she wants a specific hotel.

I don't think a AAA or Entertainment rate is going to even come close to this (both of these are good, but seldom give the type of savings offered thru Priceline and Hotwire)

It's already 1/3 of the price her family has paid (even if the $151 is Candadian it's still less than 1/2 price) and all signs point to it being the hotel where the rest of her family is staying.

How much better could this deal get?

By waiting s/he risks:

1) The hotel going up in price instead of down

2) The hotel could disappear from the listings entirely

Sure the hotel could go down by just a few dollars, but why risk a few hundred dollars in savings in order to save an extra $5?

Thank you all for your help with this, as I am very new to this bidding process. I think I may try it and risk it and do the hotwire one. Now, I put in the amenities that the Sheraton has and the stars and the location correct?? I have used Priceline, but not Hotwire yet. And I go to SavingsBarn first?? I am going to investigate a little before I bid, but around $60.00 would be a good bid correct?? That would be great if I got it for that price if it truly is the Sheraton, which you seem to think it is. Thanks again for all of your help, I will learn how to do this sooner or later.

With Priceline there is bidding, with Hotwire there is no bidding. With Hotwire you select a zone and dates and they will show you hotels along with the star rating and amenities the hotel has (but the actual name of the hotel isn't revealed until after you agree to purchase it).

The differences between Priceline and Hotwire are further explained here: HOTWIRE TIPS: I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire

First thing to do is to go to Hotwire (thru the site you mentioned above would be great :) ) and do a search for your dates.

Next, look at the CANADIAN HOTWIRE HOTEL LIST and compare what is shown to you with what is in the list. The Sheraton is in the list and you can compare the star rating, amenities, and Customer Favorite designation to what is 'known' for this hotel.

If everything matches exactly (ie- there are no extra amenity icons, none are missing, star rating is the same, etc) then your chances of having identified the hotel are excellent.

Any further questions feel free to ask.

I'm sure it's obvious but on Hotwire after you've input your city, dates and number of rooms on the first page, when it clicks to the second page and you have a list of areas within Toronto, you need to make sure only "Downtown Toronto" is selected if you want to find the Sheraton Centre. I say only because all the other areas are irrelevant to your choice.

I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the outcome of this one!

We got the Sheraton Centre downtown!!! So excited about it!!!

I cannot thank you enough, we got the hotel we wanted!!!!!! The Sheraton Centre-Toronto, for $55.00 per night!!! 3.5 stars. I am so excited and so happy about it...thanks so much again for all your help!!! I will be using this site (and savingsbarn and hotwire) a lot in the future!!! Thanks again to you all.

Good news on the outcome! Well done, it's always exciting to get your first Hotwire success and to have worked out the hotel before you buy.

Hope you have a great stay in Toronto. I'll be there the week before (with my Priceline win) on my first trip to Toronto, can't wait!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]