Priceline Hotel: Univ. Area Jan 13-17??

decaff38
By decaff38,
in

We will be at WDW from Jan7-13 and are moving to Univ . area from 13-17th. Would love to catch an on site deal at Universal but would be happy with nice off site too. It's our first trip to Orlando and would love to have a great stay. Need advice to find the great deals that others seem to find. Thanks for your time.

I'd use your Entertainment Card (or someone elses) to secure an on site reservation as a backup plan. Closer to the date you can see if one of the properties come up on Hotwire. Great planning info for Universal/Disneyworld is at http://www.disboards.com/ Use the chat forum to find out what deals are being had and post your questions.

I can't imagine beating a Hotwire or Priceline deal, but I personally wouldn't use those to book THIS far ahead. It's good to book Entertainment rates early since they only have so many rooms at that rate. I think last year I paid $135 for a pool view room at the Hard Rock. If I had it to do again I'd choose the Royal Pacific. People have booked the Standard rooms there for $110 during the time you're going. Check the booking policy... I may have had to pay a night up front which was returnable if I cancelled within 48 hours. Don't recall.

Have a terrific time... the Universal parks are fantastic!

One exception, in my opinion, of when it's 'ok' to book very early is if you are looking for a specific hotel and it appears on Hotwire (especially if it's not the most common 'win' in the area).

Hotel inventory changes all the time and if what you believe is the hotel you want shows up at a good price, and your plans are firm, i would take it. I believe that Hotwire shows the lowest priced hotel in the zone at each star level, so if the hotel you want is usually more expensive than the others, waiting will often show your preferred hotel no longer appearing (as other, less expensive hotels, load inventory for that date). This may be the case with your PRICELINE DISNEY post if you are looking for the Swan and trying to avoid the other 3 Priceline Resort hotels i mentioned in that post.

Another instance is when you should book early is when you are traveling at a peak time and expect hotels to eventually be sold-out or have very little availability.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I agree about the 'when to book early tips' from thereuare. But because the trip is in January (very low season) I think you stand a good chance of getting a good rate closer to the date. However, the only on-site hotel I see listed for Hotwire is the Portofino Bay which others have got on Hotwire for $150 and upwards. I personally think that's a little steep if you can get an Entertainment rate at the RPR for $110. One more thing. Go online to the Loews site http://www.loewshotels.com/ and sign up for their loews first club. You can do it over the phone and get your rewards number immediately. Even if you get a special rate through entertainment or hotwire, you may be able to swing an upgrade and will also get extras, such as wine/milk & cookies/bottled water when you arrive (according to the preferences you file).

If you plan to spend a few days at the Universal parks, I would definitely pay more to stay on-site. I couldn't believe how much more relaxing my trip was at Universal with the front-of-the-line privledges. It made the Magic Kingdom seem like a let down (with the long lines) to tell you the truth.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]