Priceline Hotel: 1* Philadelphia Suburbs (Plymouth Meeting Norristown) Extended StayAme

SteveinPhilly1
By SteveinPhilly1,
in

Hi! I'm back for my semi-annual help. I usually book a 2 star in Plymouth Meeting for a Saturday in August and 2 out of 3 years got the Springhill Suites. I got at $42,00 both years. Last year I got the Residence Inn in Conshocken instead at same price. That was fine.

This year I definitely need the Saturday night (8/18) but want to get Friday the 17th as well. Based on recent postings I should be able to get as low as $39 or $40.

I've tried various permutations over the last week to no avail.

Usually I bid $44.00 for the Friday and Sat Nite at 2.5 stars - get rejected and then bid $44.00 for 2 star. Also rejected.

I sign out and sign in again and bid $42.00 for 2 star for Saturday only. It gets rejected. (I bid $42.00 cause if I want Friday as separate, the fee will be increased.) Can't alway be sure I can get extend your stay, or am I wrong.

Anyway, I guess I;m willing to pay $45./night if I get both but I hate to overpay ;-) (Isn'tg that why were all here).

Anyway, help will be appreciated. Last year I got my mid August room on Jukly 13th.

Thanks!

Steve

We're only talking about a few dollars here... but are you willing to pay a bit more for a 2.5* vs. a 2*?

A bit. Everytinr they reject my 2.5* and when I bid 2* they "upgrade me to the Springhill Suites" which is what I really want. I don not want to pay more than $45.00/night for TWO nights (8/17 and 8/17) or 42.00/night for 8/17 or $44.00 if I have to win them separately (as the PL charge is same for one or two nights.

Thanks for help. I'll bid the way you suggest.

Steve

Please clarify what you mean:

I don not want to pay more than $45.00/night for TWO nights (8/17 and 8/17) or 42.00/night for 8/17 or $44.00 if I have to win them separately (as the PL charge is same for one or two nights.

I understand the type 8/17 and 8/17... but i don't understand the part after that either.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please clarify what you mean:

I understand the type 8/17 and 8/17... but i don't understand the part after that either.

Oops! I men t 8/17 and 8/18> I'm still not sure how "extend your stay" works. PL puts in a flat fee per REQUEST. So If I bid on Sat night and get it, there's about a 6.95 fee. If I get two nights on the same bid or extend stay, it's $6.95 for whole booking. But I win Saturday night only and then have to bid separately for a FRiday night (I won't mind if I have two different hotels for the two different nights), I pay $13.90 in fees.

Sorry for confusion. What I really want is a 2 or 2.5 Star in Plymouth Meeting for Friday and SAt night for no more than $45. plus one fee. Now I need the bidding stratgy. The rooms in July have been going for $39.00 to $41.00 at the Springhill Suites per the postings.

Thanks again.

Steve in Philly

Maybe. My Max is $90.00 for two nights plus tax plus $7.00 fee.

My question was also. If I bid for one night and win, will I USUALLY be offered "extend you stay" or should I always bid for 2 nights if I want 2 nights?

Anyway, what do you suggest to a game plan. I'd like to try daily until say Friday and try to get.

Thanks!

Steve

My Max is $90.00 for two nights plus tax plus $7.00 fee
Forget about the fee being fixed at $7, it doesn't work that way anymore. If you make two separate purchases the differnce in taxes and fees amounts to less than $2.25... insignificant, especially when you think about finalizing your plans and savings $50+ per nite on the hotel room.

I would bid as follows:

Select: 8/17-8/19

Select 2.5* Plymouth Meeting...

Bid $35, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $37, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $38, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 8/17/07-8/19

Select 2* Plymouth Meeting

Bid $35, if rejected change date to 8/18 only...

Bid $38.

Start with the above.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

especially when you think about finalizing your plans and savings $50+ per nite on the hotel room.

I would bid as follows:

Bid $35, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $37, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $38, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Any questions feel free to ask.

I just want to clarify before I try this. Where you say "add re-bid zone" are you suggesting I pick other zones NOT in Plymouth Meeting and bid in the 30s because there are no 2.5* ones in the other zones at that price and I'll DEFINITELY get rejected? And then when I sign in again and go to 2*s's I only stay in Plymouth Meeting zone? I think that's your point. Just clarifying.

Will definitely use SB to go through.

Thanks!

Steve

Yes, but to clarify...

You just don't want a zone that doesn't offer 2.5* hotels... but a zone that only offers hotels lower than 2.5* (so if a zone offers 2* and 3* bidding, but not 2.5* bidding, it is not a re-bid zone). This is because the star level you select is the minimum you are willing to accept, and therefore you could get a 3* hotel when you bid 2.5*. Hope this makes sense, but if not you can read further at Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and ask any additional questions you have.

Feel free to confirm your re-bid zones with the board if you're unsure.

For the second part, yes, when you log out and go to 2 stars you only bid Plymouth Meeting.

Thanks in advance for using the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes (or if you have additional questions or want to confirm your re-bid zones)

I THINK I'm understanding. Here's my research on the Rebid zones:

Malvern and Pottstown both have no 3 or 2.5 stars (2 is the highest

Horsham has 2.5* as highest (no 3*)

Exton, Plymouth Meeting (the one I want) and Valley Forge all have 3*s

So it sounds like in above scenario. I bid as follows, right?:

I would bid as follows:

Bid $35, if rejected add re-bid zone...Pottstown

Bid $37, if rejected add re-bid zone... Malvern

Select 8/17/07-8/19

Bid $38.

Thanks!

Steve

NO....

Malvern has both 2.5* and 3* hotels. You want to check your re-bid zones in the following manner from Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

Try to use the above to determine your re-bid zones. If you're still confused, list each zone in this region and what you believe to be the highest star rating available in each zone... we'll then figure out where you're making a mistake.

DUM ME!! IT was WEst Chester (not Malvern) I meant to type in. WEst Chester and POtts Town are only 2* as Highest. (I had followed the research guidelines.. just typed in wrong name in above reply.).

So it sounds like in above scenario. I bid as follows, right?:

I would bid as follows:

Bid $35, if rejected add re-bid zone...Pottstown

Bid $37, if rejected add re-bid zone... WEst Chester

Select 8/17/07-8/19

Bid $38.

Thanks for your patience!

Steve

Seems like you got it under control... but you're not going up to $45 anymore?

If not i'd suggest getting to $42 in your bidding on the next round so that you can figure our alternate plan if not successful.

Thank you for trying your bids thru the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links.

Okay, it's a few days later and I've been bidding daily. Today I bid $42.00 for 2.5* in Plymouth Meeting for the two nights - rejected

added Potts town and raised to $43. - rejected

added West Chester and raised to $44.00 - rejected

LOGGED out.

Logged in Again and bid Plymouth Meeting 2* for $45.00 - Rejected

The changed date to just Saturday night and bid $45. REjected

Will try again tomorrow. I guess I can only hope. If I need to go as high as $50.00 I'll end up being only to afford one night. At $45. plus fees I can stay two nights.

I bid through SavingsBarn.

Thanks for help. Will report back again.

Steve

I'm back. As of today I still have not won.

I'm up to $55.00 for Saturday Night and $54.00 for Friday and Sat night not accepted yet.

I looked on Hotwire and there are plenty of rooms at 2* for $59.00 but that's Extended Stay America and - not only doesn't have any breakfast - but they have you make your own bed if there for less than 3 days.

So I may have to go to $59.00 on PL and hope for the Residence In or Springhill Suites.

Will try again tomorrow. Any other ideas? ;-(

Plymouth Meeting-No One star hotels, right?

If there are no one stars, does that give you an extra bid?

I hope this isn't dumb question but since I keep losing out on hotels down to 2 stars and - at least at a cheaper price - I'm willing to accept a ONE star. Does that give me an extra bidding opportunity?

If I have to bid higher on a 2 star It'll pay to either drive or use Hotwire and get a lower grade hotel.

I just need a safe clean room! :)

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Plymouth Meeting does have 1* hotels.

Read the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel Lists.

You should not use the hotel lists to determine your re-bid zones, but rather use the technique discussed in the Priceline Re-Bidding Explained thread.

FINALLY! This morning I bit the bullet and went down to 1* at $40.00 for Two Nights 8/17-19. I got it! Got the Extended Stay America for the $40.00. They offerred me additional nights at that rate but I only needed Friday and Saturday.

It's not Springhill Suites and no Breakfast included but it's less than the $59.00 that Hotwire was offering.

I noted that there are no 1* hotels listed under PRICELINE on BB Hotel List. (Only under Hotwire). You might want to update it.

I did bid through Savings Barn.

I'll try to post a review after I stay here.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]