Las Vegas $20 trick?

ThatThat
By ThatThat,
in

Look at the lower left corner of this post and you'll see the ability to search just this thread. In the 'Enter Keywords' search box type "palms' you'll find any posts in this thread which mention the Palms :)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Worked great at Palazzo for three rooms, two nights, with $20. I had originally booked just the King luxury suites from Priceline. When I checked in, I requested two beds since we had 3 in each room and saved $160. I also asked about the Lago (penthouse style) suites, but would have still had to pay although at 30% off.

I think the trick is to know what you want and look at what other people have gotten as well. I've only seen one review on another site where someone got a Lago so I was fairly sure that wouldn't happen, but can't hurt to ask either. :)

The $20 trick is really 'hit or miss' and i don't think you can count on it coming thru, so if you need an upgraded room i would book direct for the room type you want. Most of us are using PRICELINE / HOTWIRE so only booking 'standard' rooms and happy with that room type, and upgrade that can be obtained just makes the deal that much better.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

PS- if you've made a decision for your Hotwire Las Vegas thread, even if not PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, please follow-up your thread.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

I am staying at Vdara for the Halloween weekend (10/28 Fri-10/30 Sun) and was wondering if I should bother trying the $20 trick. It's Halloween weekend so the city must be busy, but at the same time the hotel I heard is pretty vacant most of the times.

So my question is... Should I not try the trick during the Halloween in general? or is it worth the try?

I am staying at Vdara for the Halloween weekend (10/28 Fri-10/30 Sun)...
If this was a PRICELINE or HOTWIRE purchase, it would be appreciated if you shared your win with the board (as well as any wins you may have had over the last 2+ years)
It's Halloween weekend so the city must be busy, but at the same time the hotel I heard is pretty vacant most of the times.
Your chances for an upgrade will be based upon occupancy levels at the hotel, so i would get a feel for how busy the hotel is and base your decision accordingly.

• 4 months later...

Last year I arranged a bachelor party in vegas, we had 6 rooms reserved at planet hollywood for 4 nights. there was 17 of us total staying there, and we pooled together 20 bucks each, got 3 black chips and some fives, and asked for a comp upgrade. The girl upgraded one of the rooms to a boulevard suite for all the nights (pretty nice suite with a foozball table!), upgraded another room to a panorama suite, and the remaining 4 were upgraded but just one grade better than the lowest grade.

Ok guys I have a question. I am only 21 years old, but have been reading these posts on the $20 trick. I'm not sure where my girlfriend and I are staying yet, but hopefully a 5 star hotel on the south part of the strip (Cosmo, Vdara, Aria). My question is whether yall think the trick has any chance of working since I am so young. I kind of feel like a 21 year old won't be taken seriously, especially since they know I'm probably no high roller.

Any suggestions?

The front desk staff doesn't care if you're a high roller or even gamble... you're looking for the upgrade due to the tip you're offering.

As well, especially in Vegas, you don't judge a book by its cover, i'm sure there are young people waving about $50 bills and acting like 'big shots' that don't have any money in the bank, and other young people who are very well off but more subdued about it.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar experience as this poster....

We stayed at the Bellagio (Jan 2012) and at 8am(!) I simply went to the counter, asked if early check in was available. When the young lady said yes enthusiastically, I also told her that is was my husband's birthday today (it was!) and asked if any complimentary upgrades were available. She said she's have to go check with her manager. She came back after what seemed like an eternity and again with enthusiasm said "we got it!" I was upgraded to a deluxe room on the 20-something floor overlooking the fountains. Awesome! I was so excited though I forgot to tip her. Went back later that day to see if I could find her and couldn't.

It's Vegas, they're used to being asked for upgrades ,freebies etc. Be sweet and all they can say it "no". Worth a shot every time.

This past January, my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary in Vegas with a stay at New York New York. I tried the $20 trick and was successful in getting a complimentary upgrade to a Madison Avenue room. Not much of an upgrade, just a higher floor and 100 more square feet than the lowest tier room, but nice nonetheless. The best thing is that the lady assisting us did not take the $20 and returned it to me. She did search the computer while holding onto the money, but was most likely unsuccessful at finding a nicer suite type room. I will say that the Consumer Electronics Show was in town that weekend and the hotels were slammed.

I will try again when I go to the Mirage at the end of June.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have tried it at Trump in Las Vegas and it worked for us. We were upgraded to higher floor, better suite with a view. It wasn't the penthouse or anything but the person checking us in didn't bat an eye at the $20 I handed him with my credit card. We had booked on PRICELINE even. We just smiled a lot and got chatty with him about what we were in town for, etc. When he asked for the credit card, I handed him the card and folded up $20 bill and asked if he had any complimentary room upgrades available. Worked for us but may also depend on the person checking you in.

• 1 month later...

I just booked a room through Priceline at The Venetian through Priceline and called the hotel to confirm my reservation and make sure it was a non-smoking room. The customer service rep let me know that I was in the Luxury Suite with 1 King bed. I need to have a room with 2 beds. Do you think I would be able to employ the $20 trick to get upgraded to a room with two beds, or should I just go ahead and pay the extra $30/night ahead of time to upgrade my room? My thinking is that if I try the $20 trick and it does not upgrade me to a room with two beds, then I will still have the option to pay the extra $30/night. I would just like to hear other's thoughts. Thanks.

It's worth a shot... the only downside is if the hotel would be willing to secure a room with two beds now for an additional fee, and at the time of check-in, they are unable to do so due to high occupancy. However, should this occur, i think you have a 'fallback' since rooms at the Venetian have couches should could at least make do in an emergency situation.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

northsideboy,

I think your chances of success would be low given the high occupancy over the New Year's Eve holiday... the hotel will likely have many invited guests (ie- high rollers from other MGM properties) as well as those willing to spend the extra money up front and have booked an upgraded room for the 'special' occasion.

If your rate thru the TA is refundable you can sign-up at RateDrop to receive an alert if the rate at the Vdara drops in price for your dates and then try to hit the TA up for a cancel/re-book at the lower price (or cancel thru the TA and book at RateDrop.com)

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

I used the $20 tip 5 years ago at Treasure Island. I got a upgrade.  Now five years later I am going back to Vegas with my husband for our 20th wedding anniversary and also my husband's first visit ever to vegas and want to give the tip a go.  My questions are  as follows:  with inflation should I try and tip more or stay with the twenty bones?  We are planning on going at the end of April and where planing on getting a lower level tier suite so would my chances be better getting a better suite or should i book a regular room and hope for a lower level tier? I hope this makes sense because when I read it I sound like a idiot.  Thanks

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]