Priceline Hotel: Resort Oahu (Waikiki Beach) - 7/12 to 7/19

ProfessorBargain
By ProfessorBargain,
in

Was hoping to hit Hyatt Regency, seems some other people have got great prices on this hotel.

First off, note that for some reason I could continue rebidding last night (I'd never used Priceline before) - so I got a bunch of chances bidding the same product at different prices. However, this morning I now get the 24hr notice :)

Started bid at $100 for 4* Waikiki beach area. System apparently ticked resorts as well. Closed browser, changed bidding strategy to resorts only Waikiki beach area, rebid $130, rebid $140, rebid $150, rebid $160, rebid $165. All rejected.

Added Waikiki Marina area, hoping to hit HHV. Rebid at $151. Rejected.

Must be because this is busy season and the rates are a lot higher. Not sure what I'm going to do. Either go to $170 on Marina and Beach area, or tick 4* and go for beach area, rebidding at say $130.

ProfessorBargain - Welcome to BetterBidding!

Best rack rate for Hyatt is $288/night for your dates. Hilton got $269 for the best rate.

HOTWIRE got clean match for what I belive is Hilton Hawaiian Village for $229/night in Waikiki Beach Area.

Bidding at low $100 don't cut it for a 4*. You have 3 weeks to go, if you really want a 4*, try up to $175 and see what happens or you have reached your max?

If you have reached your max change to 3* or keep trying closer to your dates if you're comfortable with that. Have you secured a back-up hotel that you could live with?

Just post if you need any further help or have any questions

Henrik.

Just rebid on Resorts in Waikiki Beach and Marina area at $175, by adding Executive center. Rejected.

Henrik: thanks for the advice. I can get the Sheraton Princess for $150 a night (3*) off Expedia. I really don't want to get the Ala Moana (supposed 4* on Priceline) by bidding Marina - it's too far out (the Hawaii Prince would be good though).

It's looking like its going to be too expensive to go for a 4* or resort on priceline. Going to have to think on this...

Help identify 3.5-star hotel in Waikiki South,

7/15-7/19 - $149/nt (reg. $180/nt)

Hotel Amenities:

Near Beach

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Laundry Facilities

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

Points of interest: 1. Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, 2. International Marketplace, 3. Honolulu Zoo, 4. DFS Galleria

Travel information: 7.0 miles to Honolulu Intl. (HNL)

I can't see anything in the hotel list that matches. Any ideas? Thanks.

Well, I've looked at splitting the bids. On Hotwire, the dates 15/7-19/7 indicate $155 for what presumably the Hawaii Prince (4*, North area, customer favorite). The dates 12/7-14/7 however come in at $174. So I could average down (to $163) by buying seperately (as 12/7-19/7 lists at $174). Problem is Hotwire then adds taxes and fees on top.

Thought about going back to priceline and trying to beat this, but risk of getting the Ala Moana instead. Plus, the Prince looks a bit far out of the central area. Going to have to think some more. :)

3* Oahu (Waikiki Central)

12/7 to 13/7

Bid $95 - rejected

added airport region

Bid $105 - rejected

added diamond head region

Bid $115 - rejected (inc. service fees = $137 - close to the $150 for Sheraton Princess on Expedia

At this level, not much point continuing unless you get the Hilton Kuhio (incidentally, priceline has only that at 3* in this area on its non-opaque listings - Sheraton Princess unavilable that date).

In regards to your latest round of bidding... why would you be bidding for only one nite of this stay? (have you already booked something for the remaining 6 nites? or are you willing to change hotels more than once)

The 3.5* in the South zone you ask about above is a match for the ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Hotel so that would be our best guess.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make. If you decide to go for the Prince and make two separate purchases, please use our link for each purchase (ie- click this HOTWIRE link to begin your first purchase, then once complete, return here and click the link again to begin your second purchase)

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

Many thanks for your reply and ID on the Hotwire hotel. Resortquest website lists that one at $184/nt (+tax).

An update - I bid $125 on the 3* and it said I could rebid for free if I upped bid by $22.

Including taxes and fees that would come to $174 - not far off the $189 rack rate (+tax) of the Prince Kuhio (assuming that's what you'd get). Not a great deal for an opaque... :)

I arrive late on the Thursday night, so I could take staying one night in a hotel I don't really want to be in. So I thought I would use it as a test to see if I could get the Kuhio that night through PL. And if it worked, I'd rebid for the rest of the 6 days (hoping to get the same hotel).

As on Priceline the Sheraton is not listed as having any rooms for 12/7 but Kuhio is, I assumed this might be the hotel I would get, but your ID of the Hotwire one makes me wonder if the PL one isn't that too (although they don't list that hotel on their regular listings...)

Just to close this thread off, in the end, I booked the Sheraton Princess through sheraton.com - it was the cheapest site. Although they didn't have avilability for the Fri or Sat nights, which I had to book seperately on a 3rd party site to combine for the whole week. Hopefully I won't have to change rooms though. Weird sheraton had none of their own rooms but other people did. :)

Glad you got it settled.

Some 3rd parties get a committment from the hotel, so that they are guaranteed x number of rooms for any given nite (which the hotel keeps aside and isn't available for the hotel to sell), so that is just one explanation (among others) on how a 3rd party site can have availability when the hotel website itself doesn't show any availability.

In case you didn't, and for othrs following along, please note as per our Support Page that we're an affilaite of the Sheraton hotels (as well as most 3rd party agencies as well)

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]