CA San Diego Sheraton Hotel and Marina Downtown

kkirklan
By kkirklan,
in

My husband and I were guests at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina (East Tower) from 3/10-3/15, and we were both very displeased with this hotel. I reserved the rooms with Hotwire for a rate of $89.00 per night. If I had not prepaid for these dates, we would have left the first evening. First, $22 per day for parking in the lot at this hotel is outrageous. The first day we were there, the gate had been rammed, so that anyone could enter and leave at their leisure without paying; then the gate was back up, but the card reader didn't work, so that guests were forced to make multiple attempts at entry before giving up and getting a ticket. When I complained about the difficulty, the desk clerk just gave me a weak smile and a "sorry." Very disappointing. Then there was the room. The room itself was a nice size, but the walls were paper thin and I could literally overhear word for word conversations in adjoining rooms. The door arm (the hinge that closes the door)was so tight that it took a great deal of effort to open the door, and worse, when released, the door would slam shut. Needless to say, it wasn't pleasant listening to doors slamming all night. Regarding the thermostat, I was impressed at how much the hotel was willing to spend to outfit rooms with high tech thermostats with built-in motion decectors to allow them to recognize movement in the room and to shut off when there was none. While sweltering from the heat in bed because the thermostat was not detecting motion as I listened to the slamming of doors on my floor and above and below me, I realized that to this hotel guests were nothing more than a commodity, much like cattle. The "heated" pool was too cold for anyone to attempt entry, other than the wild fowl who seemed to enjoy bathing there. The pool area was completely filthy, with grimy deck chairs, rotting lattice, and a navy canvas awning covered in bird droppings. Disgusting! Overall, it was a horrible experience and nearly ruined my impressions of San Diego. Try to avoid this hotel.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

We stayed in The Sheraton San Diego Hotel And Marina for 3 nights on a family trip to the San Diego Zoo etc. It is a beautiful hotel in a convenient location to all of San Diego's amenities. During our stay, we visited the San Diego Zoo and local beaches, all within a 15 minute drive.

The Hotel has an excellent resort style pool and hot tub, with an adjoining fire pit area. The ocean view over the marina is outstanding, and there is a nice walking path right in front.

We were pleasantly surprised to receive an 11th floor king room with an unobstructed view of ocean over the marina. It's always nice to pay the Priceline bidding rate (in our case $104 per night) and not receive the worst room in the hotel. Our room was spacious, well outfitted, and clean. Unlike previous reviewers, we did not notice any noise coming from other rooms. Perhaps the deficiencies mentioned above have been remedied.

Parking did seem exorbitant at $22 per night, but the hotel is located right next to the airport which does not help local parking rates. One thing that has not been fixed is the parking gates which seem to have great difficulty reading room keys.

Overall, this was a great stay for us, and I would be happy to win this hotel again on Priceline.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]