Priceline Hotel: 4* Edmonton Westin

ebowers
By ebowers,
in

I'm looking for a hotel in Downtown Edmonton for a wedding in Sept. I only need one night, so checking out on the 16th.

Hotwire has a hotel listed, a 4* hotel in Downtown Edmonton for $86 (reg $134) for a 36% savings.

Ammenities are:

Fitness Centre

Restaurant

Pool

Business Centre

High Speed

I was originally thinking this was the Westin, but I see from the list that High Speed isn't listed...although it's the only 4* hotel. Priceline has the Westin listed as a 4* downtown, and the Delta Edmonton Suite Hotel as a 4* as well. Both have modem lines listed on Priceline.

As the Delta isn't usually listed on Hotwire, do you think this is still the Westin? I have a back up reservation booked at the hotel the wedding is at (Hotel MacDonald) which is one block away for $159 plus tax.

I checked the Westin's website and the best price I could find was $112 for AAA rate. This seems plausible for the Hotwire rate, because most of the other rates (eg. No AAA discount were around $150 a night)

What does anyone think? Most of the people at the wedding will probably be staying at the Hotel Mac, which is a Fairmont hotel, but it's nearly double at $159/night. I don't care if I have to stay a block away, as it's just me in the room and that seems pricey for one person.

The Westin hasn't been reported to the board since 2004, so it is certainly possible that they have added an internet icon to their displayed amenities (as i'm sure they do offer that service). However, i'd also include the Sutton Place Edmonton among the possibilities.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Neither the Delta nor the Sutton have been reported... i was simply stating that the Sutton was another possibility as it, as well as the Westin, seem to fit the star rating and amenities shown by HOTWIRE.

The Delta doesn't have their own pool. They do supply passes to access the public pool a few blocks away, but in my opinion that doesn't qualify to show the pool icon (not sure if HOTWIRE would agree with that or not)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ah I see, ok sounds good then. Now another question I have is: would you do the Hotwire for $85, or would you recommend bidding on Priceline to see if it could be had cheaper?

The only two 4* hotels listed by Priceline were the Delta and Westin. The Delta was cheaper with just a regular seach $158 vs the Westin for $198. If I bid say, $60 would the chances be higher of getting the Delta since it's already cheaper before opaque? Or would it be just as good to get the Westin?

Ok, I checked the Tripadvisor ratings against the Tripadvisor website, and that hotel is in fact The Westin. So you may want to update the ammenities to include High Speed Internet.

Now having said that, I would like to try bidding at Priceline to see if I can get a room cheaper than $85 plus tax (which works out to $101)

I was thinking I would start at about $40 on Priceline. I want to stay downtown and the 4* if I can, what would you suggest?

Ok, I checked the Tripadvisor ratings against the Tripadvisor website, and that hotel is in fact The Westin. So you may want to update the ammenities to include High Speed Internet.
And what is the Tripadvisor rating of the Sutton :). As well, it is possible it is a completely differenet hotel than we're discussing... so we only update the hotel list once it's confirmed with an acutal win.

If you want to try Priceline, you have four re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Edmonton...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Edmonton and re-bid zone4...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $85.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

The Sutton's rating was slightly different, and I also took into account the number of reviews. Hotwire had the hotel as rated 3 with 20+ reviews, the last one left in May/07. Tripadvisor only had the Westin to match that, with a 3 rating and 28 reviews. The most recent was just a day or two ago, but the next one was May. None of the other hotels matched that. Any other 4* had higher ratings, or less reviews and different times left.

I tried the strategy starting at $40 and am up to $60 after using all the zones. I'll retry again at $65 like you said, closing the browser since it said duplicate bid.

Thanks, if I have more questions I'll let you know. I understand if you don't want to update the listing, but I really think it's the Westin from all those things. Also, if I go up to $80 on Priceline and don't get anything, I'll buy the Hotwire at $85 and let you know for sure!

Woohoo!!!

I was able to win a 4* hotel in Downtown Edmonton, which turned out to be the Westin on Priceline for Sept 15-16. My winning bid was $80 plus tax, for a total of $97.19 with tax.

I had to try all the zones before I got to this bid and it was finally accepted! After that, I was just going to get the HOTWIRE room, which most likely would have been the Westin anyway, so I saved $5.

Thanks for your help! I used the Priceline savingsbarn link.

Congratulations on your win!

Glad it worked out well for you and you received the hotel you were hoping for.

Thanks for sharing your results with the board and for using the PRICELINE links at SavingsBarn.com to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay (and have fun at the wedding :) )

Thanks again!!! I appreciate your help a lot. I'm so glad I found this board. :)

I got the hotel for about half price anyway, which was great. This was my first ever Pricelink buy, and it went fairly smooth and painless thanks to your advice. I will definitely recommend this site to people, and use it again for trips.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]