Priceline Hotel: 3* San Juan San Juan Beach Hotel

Lynn Thomas
By Lynn Thomas,
in

I have never used Priceline before but have been reading this site and am tempted to try. I am looking for 2 hotel rooms pre-cruise in San Juan for 1 night (Nov 16th, 1007).

I was going to bid $70 for 3-star but am concerned since I read that the San Juan Beach Hotel was in that cateogry. I cannot seem to find the list of 'potential' hotels for each category on this site. Could someone point me to that.

Also, does $70 seem realistic for that timeframe?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me. I very much want to try Priceline, but my husband is a bit cautious........

Well, good question. I suppose if I got it for $70 yes. Although I have read some reviews that were quite bad.

After I found the list of hotels for priceline and hotwire, I am thinking maybe hotwire may be a bit better. Price may be a bit more, I can get 3.5 star for $112. But looks like the list of hotels you could possibly get may be nicer......

I am obvioulsy still confused.........

I am obvioulsy still confused.........

Not as much as you think :)

You have the idea down pat... priceline is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE, but you're have no way of guessing which 3* hotel in the area you'll likely receive. With HOTWIRE it will cost you a little more, but you have the ability to take an educated guess (still no guarantees) as to what the property will be... this enables you to target a specific hotel, or avoid a hotel that you may not want to receive.

So it comes down to price vs. an educated guess as to which property you'll receive.

What are the amenities associated with the 3.5* HOTWIRE hotel you're being offered?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This property matches the Park Plaza Normandie so that would be our best guess.

So you can decide if this seems like a viable option for you (of course no guarantees though) or if you think you'd prefer to take the chance on a 3* with priceline, 'knowing' that the San Juan Beach Hotel is a possibility.

Let us know your thoughts... but i wouldn't buy either yet, as i have a thought based upon your answer of which route you think is better.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am leaning towards HotWire, 3.5 star currently $112, 3 star currently $ 146. I seem more comfortable with the possible choice of hotels on hotwire vs priceline.

Still going to wait a bit though, hoping the price comes down slightly. That may be a mistake.....

Thanks for all of your help. Will definitely post on the appropriate forum once I make a purchase.

Still going to wait a bit though, hoping the price comes down slightly. That may be a mistake.....

Just keep in mind that the price could also go up... or the offering may disappear completely. :)

Keep us updated and please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

No, I was afraid of selecting another zone thinking there was not a hotel in my category and being wrong and being stuck somewhere I did not want to be......I really want to be close to old san juan...

I have been waiting the 24 hours and just incremeting each night $5.. I will try this for a week or so.

Well, we could try to teach you about re-bidding... which is actually a better approach to 'just keep raising my bid everyday'.

Imagine this scenario:

You start bidding at $75 and there is no priceline inventory. So your bid gets rejected and you increase your bid everyday by $5 so that after a week you're at $110. The following day inventory is released (at a price of $85) but you're bidding $115 since the day before you were rejected at $110... a $25 overbid :)

If you want to try to tackle re-bidding let us know and we'll try to break it down for you.

Well, I read more about the re-bidding and checked the area map for Puerto Rico. I am looking for either a resort or 3 star. I was checking the San Juan zone. I see that for the other zones, Mayaguaz-Isabala does NOT have a resort or 3 star. But I guess I am not sure what that does for me.

I bid tonight $85 for a resort, was rejected. Then bid $75 for 3 star, also rejected, in the San Juan zone. By adding in the additional zone, I guess I could now bid $90 for a resort or $80 for 3 star as opposed to waiting until tomorrw, is that correct?

Also, do you know have any idea for a bid that may be accepted during this timeframe in San Juan. Is $80 realistic for a resort level?

Thanks again, really do appreicate this forum and have learned a bunch.

Well let's make sure we get the big picture before doing this piecemeal...

At the Resort level you have three re-bid zones, at the 3* level only one re-bid zone.

List each San Juan priceline zone below and the highest star rating offering in each zone... we'll then take the next step.

there are 5 zones for San Juan

1) Rio Grande-Humacao

2) San Juan

3) Dorado - no Resort

4) Mayaguez-Isabela - no resort, no 3 or 4 star

5) Ponce -Guanica

So if I am bidding for a resort level, I can rebid adding Dorado and Mayaguez

If I am bidding for a 3 star I can rebid adding Mayaguez

Was going to try $90 for resort and $80 for a 3 star tonight.

Well I thought I figured out how to check which zones had which star rated hotels, but I am not sure now. When I enter Priceline to pay at the set price (not name my own price) , it gives a grid that shows the different zones and what star rating they have. which is how I came up with the list above. However, after reading more threads on this site I see that you are supposed to enter priceline and then select each zone oine by one. Honestly not sure how to do that. when I enter priceline via savingsbarn.com, and then select my city, dates, the next page where I select my zone, star level is where i name my price.

How exactly do I enter priceline to see the highest rated hotel in each zone??

I think I understand how re-bidding works and I want to try, just having trouble figurring out what my rebid zones are.

Thanks!

Well, I figured out the re-bidding and the different categories for each zone. I first tried for the resort level, bidding up to $90, all were rejcted.

I then tried 3 star and after rebidding for $85 it was accepted! I got the San Juan Beach Hotel, I have read some bad reviews so I can't say that I was hoping for this hotel, but I am very satisfied. Can't beat the price and will only be there one night before our cruise. We are going with some friends (we got 2 rooms) so I am sure we will have a blast.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Congratulations on your win.

Glad to hear that you were able to figure out priceline re-bidding, were able to find success in doing so, and are happy with the results.

Enjoy your stay, spend the money saved to apply towards your sea pass account :), and have a great trip.

Thanks for posting and for using the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links to begin your bids.

• 2 weeks later...

I bid a 3 star in San Juan and was awarded the San Juan Beach hotel a week or so ago. However, in the past day or so I found some disturbing reviews and pictures from a recent traveler. I brought those to Priceline's attention, long story, but Priceline has indicated that this hotel has been downgraded to a 2.5 star. They gave me a refund. What I really wanted was another hotel in the 3 star category, but they told me that was not possible. At this point, don't want to fight about it. I took my refund and will not start again to book a hotel for Nov.

Just wanted you to be aware for your hotel list.

I too received a refund from Priceline.com after repeated calls and letters regarding the reviews for the San Juan Beach Hotel. After learning this hotel had been downgraded to a 2.5* star property I went back online and sucessfully bid for another 3* property. I got the Hotel Normandie for $95. The review for this hotel are much better and I understand that it is located next door to the Caribe Hilton.

Ron

Ron Stowe,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Can you please add the details of your win to the board as a NEW TOPIC... this will enable others to see the details of your purchase when scanning the forum topics, as well as have your win appear when searching the board for 'normandie' and only searching the topic titles.

Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]