Hotewire Hidden Fees

GilTor
By GilTor,
in

I used hotwire and priceline to book most of the hotels for my last vacation. In three cases (all booked through hotwire) we were charged "resort fees" by the hotel upon arrival. These usually amount to $10-15 a night per room. The feees are collected regardless of whether you use the pool or any other service that the hotel provides (unlike parking fees or room service etc.) and are this in practice an unavoidable increase in the price of the room. In one of the places we stayed in the "resort fees" added some 25% to the overall fare. I do quite an extensive search before booking rooms and was thus very upset to find these hidden fees. it allows hotwire to advertise a fare that is significantely lower than the actual price. When I got back from my trip I called hotwire to complain. I was told that their site clearly state that the hotels can charge additional fees such as parking etc. This is factually correct. However, I find it to be an unacceptable answer. I am obviously willing to pay extra for additional service- where I have the choice whether to use the hotel services or not), these "resort fees" on the other hand are simply a way to present a lower room fare. We are not told in advance which hotle charges these fees and how much do they charge. I am not even sure that such one-sided contract clause can stand legal test though obviously no one is going to go to court over these sums of money (which is percisely why they can get away with it). To top it all the customer service folks were quite rude. To date, I have never had this problem with priceline. I wanted to post this in order to warn others of these hidden fees and of this problematic clause that allows hotels to charge any additional fee they may desire on top of the prepaid hotwire fare.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To really help others, why not also share your winning hotel purchases (both priceline and hotwire) with the rest of the board? (a separate thread for each one) This will also alert others to which hotel(s) you stayed at which charged the fees and how much the resort fees were.

As well, as per our RULES:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

I have much experience with Priceline, and none with Hotwire, but I just wanted to let this poster know that this is a rampant problem (in my opinion) with the hotel industry and has been for at least the last 5 years. We first encountered this on a trip to Hawaii in 2002. It is not specific to Hotwire, and the only thing is that they probably should state it more clearly.

The New York Times & Wall Street Journal have both had articles about this practice and in the beginning you could contest it, especially if they did not disclose it at check-in. Now, however, since the practice is so widespread, I think that is becoming difficult to do. I agree that it's not so heinous if they strip some of these services out, and you only paid if you used them, but I resent being told it is mandatory, even if you never park a car, use the pool, etc.! I can't understand why this isn't illegal, since it's effectively a rate increase if it is mandatory, and should be included in the rate.

Maybe if more people complained they would be forced to eliminate this practice, but as long as they can keep getting these 'fees' they will do so.

Ive been charged several resort fees for stays in the Phoenix area that were booked through priceline. I feel that their site clearly states the resort may and will charge an extra fee. Its part of the deal, fairly simple if you dont want to pay a resort fee then dont bid on a resort. With every experience I have had I stilled saved a lot of money booking through priceline rather than with the actual resort. Also many of the things offered with the resort are nice and you do get your moneys worth, especially if the resort offers wireless internet which many hotels charge $20+ per day for.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I think some of you may not be understanding the intention of the original post. GilTor clearly understands that these fees can occur and even states that they are factually correct in that they disclose that there may be a resort fee, but there are two problems that are brought up. First of all the fact that they add these fees regardless of you using the services or not. Secondly the fact that they don't tell you when you are bidding if there is a fee and what it is. The whole point of using Hotwire or Priceline is to get your rooms at a price you can afford. If you don't know what fee is going to be added until you check in this defeats the purpose. if it was a nominal amount, that would be one thing, but adding as much as 25% per night is not fair and can be completely destructive to your trip budget. So what is the point in posting this here? Try to get the word out, help people avoid making the mistake and hopefully get some voices in front of hotwire to eliminate this practice. There is no reason why they can't try to get hotels to include their fees in their price. Think about it logically. Many of us are sitting in front of a spreadsheet planning our vacation finances and are bidding based on a number we have to hit. If I can only spend $67 per night on hotels I don't care if $1 or $66 goes to the resort fee. All I care is how much I have to pay and Hotwire should make it so that this is how it works.

Many of us are sitting in front of a spreadsheet planning our vacation finances and are bidding based on a number we have to hit.

Your statement above leads me to believe that perhaps you've used Priceline and/or Hotwire before? If correct, would you be willing to share your Priceline wins and/or Hotwire purchases with the board by posting in the appropriate forum(s)?

cat79,

Not certain what you're asking, but any Resort fees a hotel may charge (doesn't necessarily have to be resort class rated by PRICELINE) are in addition to your bid and payable directly to the hotel.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

You can continue this discussion in your existing Hotwire Ft Lauderdale thread.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 months later...
those hidden fees are not hidden it does state on Hotwire's site under the rules and restrictions when your booking, the hotel may charge resort fees. that is up to the discretion of the hotel and its not a hidden fee.

I am sorry, but you are wrong. It IS a hidden fee. This is a fact that is not debateable. Stating that properties "can" charge extra, but not listing which ones do or don't defeats the whole purpose of 'bidding" or "naming your price". Any information regarding resort fees and the like, incurred at a few specific properties are HIDDEN or not disclosed, which obviously makes bidding decisions and comparisons impossible. The bidders, in effect have no idea if they will be paying the specific amount they bid or not. I called priceline to complain about the Bello Vina resort in Napa. I bid $89. The bid was accepted, but I know from prior experience that this place charges a mandatory "resort fee" of $15. per night - over and above whatever rate was agreed upon with Priceline or Hotwire. Effectively changing my bid price of $89. to $106. This is wrong. Priceline told me any property has the right to charge up to $40. extra per night . Say Whaaa? Priceline should NOT acceot this practice from any of their participating hotels or resorts. Again, why bid if you really don't know for sure what you're going to pay???

• 2 weeks later...
As well, HOTWIRE is now showing Resort fees for most properties in the "Know Before You Go" section for each offering.

True, that is better than nothing. However, they are still only showing that information AFTER you already clicked confirm, and it is too late to cancel.

For example, in my recent experience (this thread: 3* Orange County (Anaheim-Disneyland North) Holiday Inn (Walnut St), $68 ... 12/30/09-1/2/10), I saw a "final" price and clicked the button to confirm the booking. Only then was it revealed that there was a $10 resort fee.

Here is the text in the "Know Before You Go" section before continuing to the payment information (notice no mention about resort fee):

Primary guest must be at least 18 years old.

Your account will be charged at the time of booking for the full

hotel room amount, including all tax recovery charges and fees.

Bringing you rock-bottom prices on hotel rooms means bookings

are final (no refunds, no changes).

Here is the text on the confirmation page (there is a mention of a possible resort fee, but no actual amount is listed):

Hotel Booking Rules and Restrictions

[...]

Some hotels may apply additional charges that are not included in your Hotwire rates - such as parking, convention or resort fees. You will be required to pay any such fees directly to the hotel (usually at check-out time). Once you book such a reservation, we recommend contacting your hotel to ask about any additional charges.

And here is the text after clicking the "Book trip" button (finally, an amount is revealed, but it is too late):

Hotels in this area typically charge a resort fee of about $10 per room per night to all

guests, regardless of how the room is booked. The hotel collects this fee directly from you,

so it doesn't show in your Hotwire total. We suggest you confirm any added fees with your

hotel.

Some hotels may apply additional fees for incidentals such as parking. The registered guest

must present a valid credit card to secure any incidental charges such as phone calls. Debit

cards may not be accepted.

Primary guest must be at least 18 years of age.

[...]

Bottom line:

Dear Hotwire,

If the resort fee is indeed unavoidable and to be paid by all guests, then Hotwire should build it into the price it publishes. Without it, you can't compare one hotel's price to another because you don't know which ones have extra and mandatory fees, and which do not.

Thanks!

However, they are still only showing that information AFTER you already clicked confirm, and it is too late to cancel.

The hotel you purchased is no longer offered for your dates so can't use that as an example, but if you search HOTWIRE for your dates and look at the 3.5* Disneyland South property you'll see the following under "Know Before You Go":

This hotel typically charges all guests a resort fee regardless of how the room is booked. The hotel collects this fee of about $10 per room per night directly from you, so it won't show in your Hotwire

• 4 months later...

This is definitely not just a Hotwire and Priceline problem. Resort fees are quite common in almost all tourist areas now. You could be staying at a 2-star dive and they will charge you a resort fee simply because they are located on Hilton Head Island or within miles of Walt Disney World. It really is a false way to lower their rates but it is a problem with the hotel - not the booking service. If you use Expedia, your local travel agent, or other booking method you would experience the same problem.

• 2 months later...

If it says that in the know before you go section, I think that is not as bad. Priceline however does not do that at all. The best they have is in the legalese where they say hotels _may_ charge you blah blah, resort fees blah blah. What makes this even more heinous is that they have a "RESORT" category but it looks like other categories might also result in resort fees. Dont know what is the point of doing that...

My recent post on what I faced in Priceline Lake Tahoe

• 2 weeks later...

It is a raw deal, but the exact same (almost) as if you priceline a flight.

You bid one price, then realize you have to pay to put your bag on the flight.

I guess the only difference is the baggage charge is more of a rip-off, and you only pay if you have a bag, but who doesnt?

The question is should we put up with companies nickel and dimeing us to death with all these add-on charges?

Im thinking No, but how do we change their behavior?

Everybody needs to fight them over the charge, until it causes them more money in dealing w/ the people than it makes them... or something...

Of course, then they might add a complaint charge.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It does clearly state in the terms of use, that there are certain locations who may charge additional fee's for items such as, but not limited to: Parking, Convention or Resort fees, Room service, Internet, Room service... etc.

And it does suggest contacting your hotel prior to arrival, to inquire about the additional charges. Taking the fact that when booking a Hotrate... it does follow the Opaque model which means you don't know what hotel your receiving until booking is complete... So for future reference, be sure to read over the entire list of your preferences amenities. Often times it will state whether its a resort or not.

And to be honest, this isn't Hotwires fault... If you go somewhere like Disney World or etc, they almost always charge for parking... and if your on the beach or something... Expect to be in a resort. ( There is a amenity for resort though, so be on the look out :) )

Kade

• 1 year later...

We also were hit with resort fees (hidden fees) for non-descript services. There were no swimming pools, parking services, gyms, or anything else to be used. It is a cheap trick to increase the prepaid non-refundable price, and it is cheating. The Hotwire price for our hotel in downtown New Orleans included services and taxes, and this mandatory resort fee increased the price by almost 15%. As far as contacting the hotel prior to booking: at Hotwire we don't know the hotel before the booking.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages.

Then, as per Our Rules and Policies

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Please share your recent purchase with the board and if you post your concerns above in your thread, we'll comment further regarding the specifics of your situation.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]