Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) W New York

norwegianwife
By norwegianwife,
in

So, the bidding has begun for our 3 nights in NYC in July.

Started tonight to see what the market was like...not so good right now for anything under 150!

We are open to any area in Manhatten, and ususally stay in MTE, so I started with the following:

Started in MTW- 110- rejected

added UES- 120- rejected

added Uws- 130- rejected

closed window and started over (from SAvingsbarn everytime, by the way!)

Central Park- 110 (yea right)

UES- 125- (not a chance)

UWS- 135- (umm, no)

closed window and started over

MTE- 115- rejected (i had high hopes for MTE as you see alot of the Barclay for these low prices!)

UES- 125- rejected

UWS- 135- rejected

closed window, started over-

Downtown-Soho- 120 rejected

UES- 130- rejected

UWS- 140- rejected

then I do what I NEVER do--added MTE- 145- REJECTED

Closed window, started yet again-

MTS- 120

UWS- 130

UES- 140

MTE- 150- (again, no bites at the Barclay)

So....No luck tonight. I know it's early, but wanted to get started and have a plan. I checked the event guide for NYC, but there is nothing major happening in July after the 4th...

Does anyone have any sugesstions, or should I just keep on keeping on with the above strategy? I was hoping for around 130...hmmmm.

Look forward to hearing from you kind folks!!

ok---

tried again tonight using the same bidding patterns up to 170 with NOTHING! Not even a measly counter offer! I just don't get it. July is usually a great time for LOW rates in the city.

What do you think about splitting the bid? Maybe the thursday is keeping prices up? Bid for the weekend and then thurs. seperatly? it's a thought.

If I don't get a win this weekend, I will book a backup!

Still early, but we have a lot going on and would like to care of it sooner than later.

Thanks!

ok, just went to Quikbook and booked 3 nights at the Park South Hotel in Gramercy/Flatiron...so pretty much MTE. All three nights for 477 dollars!! 159 dollars a night!

Went to tripadvisor and it has GREAT reviews! It is ranked number 82 out of 329 hotels in NYC. Not sure if we will continue to try and bid on Priceline, as this place seems pretty ideal!!! And the price is right!

So, we will see!

Glad you found something that suits your needs well.

I would continue to try priceline for a 4*... i suspect you'll be able to improve the star quality as well as get this a little cheaper as you get closer to your check-in date.

Thanks for using our Quikbook link :)

Keep us updated if you continue to try to beat this back-up reservation.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you found something that suits your needs well.

I would continue to try priceline for a 4*... i suspect you'll be able to improve the star quality as well as get this a little cheaper as you get closer to your check-in date.

Keep us updated if you continue to try to beat this back-up reservation.

yes, that is exactly what i was trying to do! If we can get a 4* for a lower price, then we will...

Not unhappy with our grammercy hotel, just trying to better the situation if I can!

That's why.

will continue to update. :)

• 2 weeks later...

:) IF at first, you don't suceed...try, try, try again!

W New York Hotel

Midtown East

541 Lexington Avenue

New York, New York 10022

Thu, Jul 19, 2007 / After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date:

Sun, Jul 22, 2007 / 12:00 PM

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $145.00

Subtotal: $435.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $84.10

Total Charges*: $519.10

Was actually surprised that we won this today! I was going through the motions of bidding and rebidding. Started with MTE at 125- rejected

Added rebid zone 135- rejected

Added rebid- 145- accepted!

Lowest price on Starwood website was $323--significant savings! And $14 lower than my cancellable backup at the Parksouth.

Tripadvisor has this W as a 3 star hotel and reviews are fairly mixed. People either LOVE it or HATE it...thus giving it an overall rating of 2.5 out of 5...

Regardless, we have great memories of the W hotel and actually spent DH's birthday there a few years ago.

Looking forward to returning.

As always, bid through Savingsbarn!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear of your win (at a great rate) and that you're familiar with this property and looking forward to your return.

Thanks for sharing your win and for beginning your bids with the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links.

And it's not too far from Ess-A-Bagel, which i always recommend in this area (Third Ave at 51st St). One of the best bagels in the city and makes for an inexpensive breakfast!

Have a great stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for updating.

I've been bidding for 4* in MTE/MTW/MTS for weeks for 20/7 to 24/7 but no luck so far (up to $180 from 130). Hope will get some luck like you this coming week.

Great win by the way.

By the way, did it ask you to extend? Considering spliting the bid but really want to stay in the same hotel during my stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]